Question What happened to Strange Life of a Cat

Discussion in 'Novel Discussion' started by ShadowkingMS, Oct 2, 2018.

1. ShadowkingMS

ShadowkingMS [Sheng gi’s Servant][Main Character Failure]

Reading List:
    Link
    The stop happened a long time ago so someone may have already posted something about this that I missed, but what happened to Strange life of a cat, one of the very few QI novels I actually enjoyed? Did it go on hiatus? get dropped? Did the author die (honest question since that has happened before)?

bleh360 likes this.
  2. Black Parcher

Black Parcher The Eternal World Wanderer

Reading List:
    Link
    It wasn't getting enough views on qidan so it got dropped, and Translator got put on another project.

3. canaria23

canaria23 『  』

Reading List:
    Link
    Of course it won't get enough views when its release rate is one every few weeks

Black Parcher likes this.
  4. LaDyViL

LaDyViL New Member Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Really? Was there an announcement about this?

5. Gihn

Gihn Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There are plenty of readers requesting for the translation to resume in the review section. But Qidian doesn't seem interested.

6. Black Parcher

Reading List:
    Link
    Nope people stop caring about novel, so qidan felt that the [what they deemed as low number count of viewers] didn't deserve an explanation. It's just like with any novel they have when viewer count gets low they stop translating it for a while even if it was a former top ranker like Shadow Hack who use to rule the top of their charts but now it's downgraded to once in a blue moon chapter instead of two guaranteed chapters a day like it use to.

7. vector

vector Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The author has finished writing the novel. Raws are complete.

8. jersanxx1

jersanxx1 『Lost Toy』『Mostly Lurking』

Reading List:
    Link
    The novel was dropped due to low viewer count(Ofc it was obvious since the translator updates very few often, and absolutely didn't get his intended qouta per week, except for the first few weeks). The author's other novel, Superstar of Tomorrow is quite relevant. So, it is still continuing. In QI, only the view counts matter.

Think of novels as budding pro teams, if they're popular, sponsors(readers) will keep on coming. Once they're relegated, they'll die out eventually because they don't have enough exposure.

Wujigege likes this.
  9. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    Makes business sense. Given how expensive it is to translate.
    QI really need to change their model. If translators are paid via revenue share then they can solicit spirit stones from readers just like authors do in the original site.

WinByDying and jersanxx1 like this.
  10. Arkus86

Arkus86 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I did not find any despite digging around for it and even asking on their forums, which support the idea that QI does not care one bit about the novel.

11. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    Did not care? I think that's harsh.
    Did readers care enough to read at QI instead of pirate sites? Thread
    At least QI cared enough to pay translators to translate it.
    A lot more than I can say for many readers.
    Readers need to stop passing the blame.
    It has gotten pathetic. Wake up and face reality

12. LaDyViL

Reading List:
    Link
    Okay, but these information aren't something you hear from QI's or author's side, are they? They're just rumors or speculations from readers based on past behaviours. So basically, it's rumors without proof, as far as Strange Life of A Cat is concerned.
    I've been digging around too, and while I don't know if they care or not about their novel, but just like yours, I didn't see any proof or posts that says why they dropped it aside from the fact that it has been a long while since a translation was released.

bleh360 likes this.
  13. Black Parcher

Reading List:
    Link
    But when they drop translations due to low views do they ever put out a post about dropping it, or do they just stop and no one brings it up again until several months later asking if it's been dropped or not by them?

bleh360 likes this.
  14. LaDyViL

Reading List:
    Link
    "They just stop." When someone brings it up, then I'd say, "The Translator or the Group stopped translating them". When asked why, I'd say "I dunno" and maybe I'd also add a few rumors or hearsays I heard from the grapevine, but I'd still clarify that it's rumors I heard if I'm not sure of them. As much as I can, I'd try not to state my thoughts as facts, when I have no proof to back my claims.

I'm not saying that's what people would do, I'm not saying that's what people should do, and I'm not saying they're right or wrong for what they do. But that's what I'd do.

Black Parcher and Arkus86 like this.
  15. Arkus86

Arkus86 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't blame them for dropping a project that's not profitable, whatever reason behind it. They are a business after all, they're not translating out of goodness of their heart.
    I would however appreciate some info when it happens, even a single line "dropped due to low views" on the novel's front page would do. It's not that much work, is it?

EDIT: The only info I ever found was from May, when some admin on their forums mentioned it should resume in a month or two, but that was half a year ago and not a single word since then.
    I can't help but interpret this as either QI lacking interest in the novel and/or their readers, or intentinally keeping the readers in the dark for no apparent reason. I don't know which is worse.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2018
    bleh360 likes this.
  16. LaDyViL

Reading List:
    Link
    I was contemplating MTLing it, but at the time I felt that the machine's butchering would diminish my interest to read it. So I pushed it off for a while, I think I stumbled upon a post in the forum asking about it. Probably the same one you found.

I guess I've forgotten about the novel after the barrage of Danmei novel's haha... But yeah, a mention of status of the translation itself would be nice. I do wonder how they'd manage these "dropped" translations of theirs. Waiting for a volunteer to come and push the work on until it gain an acceptable market base or just let it be buried deeeeeep in their long list of work. It's pretty sad, in a way.

Arkus86 likes this.
  17. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    Or trying to save face because they care Readers reaction.
    Still not their shiniest moment but the industry is dying. We have a generation of readers stupid enough to think Kindle Unlimited is a good thing.
    My goal is to start my own platform. Given all Qidian's missteps, I am feeling very confident lol
    Sources:
    Authors leaving Kindle Unlimited:
    http://howibecametexan.com/2015/12/02/how-much-can-you-realistically-make-self-publishing-a-book/
    Traditional publishers struggling : https://writersweekly.com/angela-desk/when-traditional-publishers-become-vanity-publishers

Arkus86 likes this.
  18. Black Parcher

Reading List:
    Link
    I respect that but it happens a lot when people just stop translating without notice. Like the Reader novel where the M.C. was a super nerd who just wanted to read books inside the v.r. game's libraries. Their whole site is gone and no one knows why. It was a great story too. Just a nerd nerding it up bookworm style man it needs to come back. But hey I understand you like to verify the rumors and again I respect it. Just saying this stuff is did on the regular and some people just don't gives reasons why they do it, and that rumors about why they did it aren't always that far from the truth.

bleh360 and LaDyViL like this.
  19. LaDyViL

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm not surprised if a fan Translator does this, can't demand too much from them since its not like they're getting paid to do it. But when some group like QI, that is monetizing their other works, and seems to have a structure behind their company/org/group, the least I'd expect is a post saying "[title] has been dropped until further notice" even if it's not something from one of their premium picks. You know, like an SOP dealing with stalled translations. Or at the very least, a status of its translation on the novel page, like "Status: Active" or "Status: Hiatus".

20. Black Parcher

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes, I can understand your frustration but when has Qidan ever did what normal translator groups do in any situation. Right now their focus is on stealing all the popular novels from their so called partner Gravity Tales and making them premium on their site. So yea your expecting to much from them just saying. I do like one of their translator and editor pair that works on The Devil's Cage since they actually talk back to their readers just like the Charm of Soul Pets' translator.

LaDyViL likes this.