Discussion Plot Development that make you drop a novel

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Fluffy Jellyfish, Oct 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fluffy Jellyfish

Fluffy Jellyfish 『Number 1 Lolicon under Heaven』

Reading List:
    Link
    After I read many novels, sometimes there is something in the novel that make me decide to instantly drop a particular novel because of a sudden development, moment or the gradual plot progression of the novel.

For me :

- After showing how the MC stay and interact with one heroine, suddenly he makes the MC sleep with another woman. I mean, how tf an author can make a plot development like that?

Advent of the Archmage, Immortal Mortal

- A MC that suddenly become edgy, murderer, massacring a lot people and still imposing himself as a Hero of Justice or imposed his own ideal to others and making his ideal as the only one truth because he has the power to backup it.

Against the Gods

Feel free to share the things that make you drop a novel. If you want to give novel example and why you drop it, please make a spoiler box so others don't feel disturbed :sweating_profusely:

2. LaDyViL

LaDyViL New Member Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Tag: 1v1
    Middle of the whole story: MC raped by someone else, forced into a sexual/intimate relationship with someone else, Love Interest in a sexual/intimate relationship with someone else, MC and Love Interest reconciled at one point later on

Me~>(╯°□°)╯︵(\ .o.)\ <~author

3. zloi medved

zloi medved Well-Known Green Tea Bitch

Reading List:
    Link
    Rape/sexual assault from an overbearing ML framed as romance.

What Chinese authors say: this ML is overbearing.
    What Chinese authors mean: this ML is a fucking rapist and should be convicted.

MarxDarkBear, mrttao, erikvio and 7 others like this.
  4. LeakLeaf

LeakLeaf Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    this is just the norm in Chinese novels that's why i dropped like 90% of them

5. Dacendaren

Dacendaren Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    when one of the bad guys who gets stomped by the mc comes back time and time again each time stronger than the mc even though the mc is supposed to have pretty much the best luck/talent in the novel, like one or two times is ok but when it happens more than that im like really? they escaped again?

sivasms likes this.
  6. noriga

noriga Smile ..

Reading List:
    Link
    When author sucks MC cocks

7. chencking

chencking [Daolord Grammar Nazi]

Reading List:
    Link
    Hypocrisy. I hate hypocrisy. I stuck through hundreds of chapters of MGA's death throes until the author let slip that in Chu Feng's eyes, stupid women are geniuses but smart men are idiots. And to top it off, Chu Feng thought himself a genius. It drives me crazy when stupid MCs keep monologuing about how smart they are. MGA and Ancient Godly Monarch both had bad cases of that.

The worst, though, is when the author gives the MC ethics armor. Whatever barbaric injustice the MC commits, the author will slip in a quick flashback to justify it. Or the victim might rattle off a quick threat so the MC can justly murder him and steal all his belongings. Ancient Godly Monarch did this once or twice, and I dropped it 2 chapters later. HSSB did a great parody of the ethics armor though.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2018
    mrttao, Rumby, nakimushi and 14 others like this.
  8. Warlock Of The Void

Warlock Of The Void Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    He never loses his V card

Cutter Masterson likes this.
  9. Master

Master [Old Pervert] [Grandmaster]

Reading List:
    Link
    I live by my life long motto, "if it's free, I don't care".

:blobmelt:

Rumby, Fares, SoulZer0 and 2 others like this.
  10. Aisha Ann

Aisha Ann I LOVE SELFISH VILLAINESS

Reading List:
    Link
    99% Chinese novel had rapist male lead. Chinese people/author called its romance. I honestly think they don’t know how romance or realitionship work. Their brain is full of with rape or pervert thing
    I hate rape romance novel. Hope that author get rape by someone or author get arrest by police for wrote trash disgust rape novel

elRouge, kkgoh and FranckOA like this.
  11. michael.kx5

michael.kx5 [Sloth Incarnate][Lewd Overlord][The mediator]

Reading List:
    Link
    MC doesn't learn from his mistake:
    "A level 1 skeleton" is the best example, he is a bit edgy and always blames everyone else when something goes wrong or not as he wants it to be. Got defeated by the gods, rescued by one of his less loyal subjects, doesn't even thank her for exchanging her own life for his and instead complains about the place she took him to, proceada to make exactly the same decisions that led to his downfall last time.

12. Beer_Kitty

Beer_Kitty Just a very very drunk kitty that likes beer

Reading List:
    Link
    If it gets too much info dump that lasts more than 5chapters. Or too much SoL thats really nothing worth mentioning happening.

Rumby, Lagged and Aru4689 like this.
  13. Asf

Asf 《《The aria of souls》》

Reading List:
    Link
    Wow. Didnt know that guy is such a jerk. Lol

14. otaku31

otaku31 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I drop a novel if I find it slow-paced. I don't mind waiting for 10-15 chs for it to gain momentum, but I'm not going to wait 50-100 chs for it to get interesting. Also hate character inconsistency, esp. when a supposedly indifferent MC decides to play savior.

Other reasons include rape (by MC), indications of harem, impulsiveness (of MC) bordering on stupidity, inconsistency (when author forgets what he previously wrote), etc.

Another rare reason would be MC putting his fingers into too many pies. I just wanna read about an MC with a single-minded focus on cultivation/Dao comprehension, rather than going thru ch upon ch of him perfecting alchemy, pill-refining, etc.

elRouge, Ophis_Trihexa, Elkon and 3 others like this.
  15. abewan

abewan 〘Nishikigoi Dungeon〙

Reading List:
    Link
    Girls sudden thirst for mc. Instadrop.

Gitami, purit2006, elRouge and 8 others like this.
  16. Cutter Masterson

Cutter Masterson Well-Known Super-Soldier

Reading List:
    Link
    I totally agree. I can understand an antihero can be thought of as evil, but most often it’s a hero working for the side everyone thinks is evil. But most often they are really the good side. A hero killing intelligent beings without a thought is my definition of evil. It’s one thing killing beings who kill others, but it’s totally different killing because you feel slighted. A hero should be above the petty level of that sort of behavior.
    Don’t get me wrong their are a few novels I love, but have MC with compromising dispositions. They love to kill. But every time I see them start killing. A part of me wants to drop the novel. The only reason I still read them is because the pro still out weight the con.
    This is my pet peeve.

Ophis_Trihexa, Varno and michael.kx5 like this.
  17. Fluffy Jellyfish

Reading List:
    Link
    Chapter 1183-1184

18. Fluffy Jellyfish

Reading List:
    Link
    Wtf, what novel is this? :blobastonished:

19. ryosuke08

ryosuke08 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Mc gets slaves, slaves go yandere/yangire for him without brains just suddenly decided that the people mc left because wasn't worthy are a nuisance to her/them and it must be disposed of because it was the enemy once.

Three chapters mc finally gets his caring family he didn't get in the past life, parents decide to act as bait for the monster horde.

Mc loses important girl/pet/only link to it's past just because he needs to grow and get accustomed to the world of fantasy being a shitty god/goddess/divine entity (author) only method of entertainment.

Mc can only think tits, tits, tits, tits, I want to suck hers, hers and hers too because I gain skills by breastfeeding. It wasn't even R18!!! I understand an R18 with brainwashing skill since baby because the only plot is sex, but on a normal one it's boring 40 damned chapters of breastfeeding. After that? Was there a plot outside author having a fetish for big breasts with pink nipples and breastfeeding?

Rumby likes this.
  20. yogesh12

yogesh12 Hater of Generic Novels

Reading List:
    Link
    The thing i hated the most was repeated NTRs just like the case in Gate of Good Fortune plus when the mc or the author always starts praising the mc itself,I find those type creepy and I drop them, just like Advent of Archmage
    And one thing more ,the author of Gate of Good Fortune and immortal mortal is a dick ,Like wheneve I see it's his novel I definitely give it a zero.
    And I hate repeated and recycled plot like PMG(Peerless Martial God) ,provoke ,kill the trash , repeat

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.