Discussion Plot Development that make you drop a novel

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Fluffy Jellyfish, Oct 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. naviet

naviet Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    for me, repetition main cause drop in CN. In JN case because story too slow, lack of suspense, clince.

Unrivaledfury likes this.
  2. HondaFit

HondaFit Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    - MC is a dullard or wimp

- Plot Progression is too slow.

- No special powers. If I wanted to experience real life, I'll just experience it.

- MC powers up too fast.

- MC turns into an asshole no better than the people he's face slapping.

- Plot gimmick runs out of steam (this is primarily a Japanese thing where some gimmick is the main driver).

- Too many Gimmicks pulled out of thin air (Forty Millenniums of cultivation)

- Becomes too repetitive (Immortal Mortal).

- No movement in primary story arc (many).

- Obvious and long filler (I shall steal the heavens).

Some novels I have to skip sections instead of drop because the unskipped parts are good. Coiling Dragon for example. It dulls out then has a good section, then dulls out again.

Chinese novels tend to be too long. There aren't that many I complete because they mostly run out of steam before the end (Immortal Mortal). There are some Chinese tropes I just ignore. Like the whole "ML and FL get drugged and have sex" trope. I assume this is some censorship dodging thing. I find the whole "Chinese write about sex" thing to be pretty cringe worthy. They don't seem to have experienced the sexual revolution as happened in the west so, their ideas about sex seem pretty primitive to a westerner. I mean "foreplay, what's that"? The idea it's normal to be bruised after sex....and so on.

I appreciate what the authors try to do. I'd probably finish more if there's weren't so many to try.

3. Paps

Paps Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    When I realize the premise of the novel has nothing to do with the plot of said novel. Lack of progress with the novel, I mean there is so mutch a recurring problem can come back to bite you in the ass, but facing the same patern in every single arc???

Rumby, Mahou-nii-sama, Elkon and 2 others like this.
  4. GameMaster

GameMaster Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    the heroine is on the enemy side , and i like her too , and it happen twice to me , *sob*

5. Kuronairo

Kuronairo Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    What s thé Novel :v

6. Kiari

Kiari Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    One of the novels that I dropped have so shitty part where the supposed female lead or cover girl, falling in love with a side side character AFTER she rejected the side side character.
    It start when the girl asked MC for help to reject the guy, then after she rejected him. The guy asked her to help heal/treat someone. So MC and the girl go to other country for it, and while MC doing all the heavy work, she fall in love with the guy just because he protect her from monster mobs during their route to the guy‘s country!! I was like WTF girl? You do realize the MC SAVED you from getting eaten by fucking large dragon that nobody in the world can kill it, and you fall in love with a side character that protect you from small fries mobs?!!.

List MC did for her =
    Crossdressing as maid to save the girl from marriage proposals.
    Saved her from getting eaten or becoming sacrifice girl again.
    Find the cure on dangerous place

elRouge, Rumby, Elkon and 4 others like this.
  7. LaDyViL

LaDyViL New Member Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's a BL novel, you're safe.

One novel. Felt like I've been duped. Yes, it ends with 1v1 as the author tagged it, they got together in the end, but the story itself....

Paps likes this.
  8. Pedram

Pedram Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Good Points, I Also have hate of these 2 kind of plot progression the most with a bit of change,

for First part,
    I love Consistency in my novel, I don't mind if a novel have many girl and harem members and MC have sex with them all ! that's the kind of novel it is and the kind of MC he is ! I read many harem novels and enjoyed them !

On the otherhand, I love a good Romance, a Single love interest and no harem can be a great novel ! cutting off the extra stories about other girl and focusing on MC's cultivation and more focus on 1 single girl, can make the story much better than harem novels.

but What we get most of the time ?

For Harem :
    Author add too many girls that even he himself lost count ! for many times ! he just copy paste girls w;o much of a plot or character, waste a bunch of chapters ! then forget the girl completely and it's not even added to the harem !
    I always ask around and if a novel have such a thing, I wont pick it.

For non-harem :
    MC is not actually faithful and flirt/kiss/hug/sex with other girls like there is TONS of girls introduced and encountered and saved and focused and .... for hundreds of chapter ! but at the end of the day, MC act like he was a faithful person all along and only marry that 1 girl, coz it's a non-harem obviously !
    I always ask around if author adding too many girls just to make extra chapters and create hypes but then forget these girls and stick to 1 girl, i don't pick these novels either, coz I feel it's pointless and waste of my time reading these chapters.

and 2nd reason which i drop novels is also as u said,
    MC do anything that can be related to a psychopath or rapist but then talk and think as if he is doing the right thing or he is a hero of justice, it just pain me so much to read these.

don't get me wrong tho, I don't mind reading about a MC that is a bad guy or kill and loot or even rape ! but if they think they are "good" guy and WORST of ALL ! they will discriminate and mock/hate other guys who do the same thing as they do, as "Evil" and "extremely bad/rotton" guys, but think they are themselves holy !

I can give u some Example of bad guys that i don't mind, u can say some of the good anti-hero type novels are fine, or a example of a MC that is neither a hero nor a anti-hero but is just someone that do what he need to do evil or not, to survive and protect his family :
    Ning Fan From Grasping Evil, he kill and slaughter if needed ! and he rape his female enemies ! but he himself knows that he is no hero ! not a single time he ever tho he is a good guy ! in fact, at some point early on he felt ashamed for what he does. coz he was kind of forced into this path. his personality also grow a lot and stop himself from useless slaughter of a whole sect again like he did early on when he was still a kid ( like chapter 20-30 i guess ) but he is still doing what he need to do even if he is in the wrong but all this while he knows he isn't a good guy.

he also never despise his enemies and think he is better than them, specially because most of the bad guys in Grasping Evil have a reason to be bad and some have their own backstory and make readers like them and are not just pure bad guy 1 dimensional character for the sake of being bad.

3rd and last reason why i drop a novel :

Author mistake the meaning of "Genius" and "Talented MC" with "all knowing MC".
    I simply hate and Cringe Extremely, any novel that have a MC that for some extremely stupid reason, know every damn fking thing ! then there is hundreds of chapter, MC goes around and say stuff, for example have a single look at a old doctor from afar ! and suddenly tell him that he got X number of disease and shits and then all ppl be like, "OMG what a genius blah blah" repeat 1000 time. I drop all these novels that take this too far !

for example, a novel that MC knows many thing, but is still good and did not bother me ! is TDG !
    but a novel that MC knows many things and cringe me to death until i drop it, was Heavenly Star !

Rumby, Ophis_Trihexa, Varno and 2 others like this.
  9. PotatoZero

PotatoZero Well-known Potato

Reading List:
    Link
    There are many kinds of slavery across cultures, some of them are not that bad

ryosuke08 and GDLiZy like this.
  10. Finalbeta

Finalbeta Science Nerd

Reading List:
    Link
    I only drop a novel when the story turns into a total mess but it's rare I do

Paps likes this.
  11. Harem_lover

Harem_lover Loves Spice, and works with Spite

Reading List:
    Link
    repetitive events with nothing new to show or at least remaking it with a creative tone, beta jp mc that make girls wait up on him for years only to reject them all later or accept because of a stupid reason and maybe yaoi,gender bender,ntr and yuri if they are introduced seriously and not just in a comic relief sort of way, that's it

12. michael.kx5

michael.kx5 [Sloth Incarnate][Lewd Overlord][The mediator]

Reading List:
    Link
    Well the last point it isn't so unbelievable if the owner is from modern earth in origins, our current society shuns slavery and mistreating your employees.

Paps likes this.
  13. Ddraig

Ddraig Frostfire Dragon|Retired lurker|FFF|Loved by RNG

Reading List:
    Link
    fastfood novels...drop

14. KazumaAyasaki

KazumaAyasaki Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    the last thing i dropped is the strongest system, library of heavens path, and sovereign of ~(forgot)
    they are fking transported/reincarnated but even 1000~ chapters their wisdom is degenerating to make plot/conflict.
    for example LBP, he in disguise arrived at some sect, got challenged by sect disciple and just punch him in the face, then he go to his room to release his soul to infiltrate the library.. cmon u just offend some shit and you left your body in the open just like that expecting nothing happen while this plot aleardy been used so many times

15. chencking

chencking [Daolord Grammar Nazi]

Reading List:
    Link
    Name some then, because that sounds like BS

16. PotatoZero

Reading List:
    Link
    "A member of the Ottoman slave class, called a kul in Turkish, could achieve high status. Castrated harem guards and janissaries are some of the better known positions a slave could hold, but slaves were actually often at the forefront of Ottoman politics. Many of officials in the Ottoman government were bought slaves[8] raised free, and integral to the success of the Ottoman Empire from the 14th century into the 19th."

Wikipedia

17. tides

tides Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    long separation.
    i've read enough of these

18. insania

insania Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There are two types of developments that would make me immediately drop a light novel I am reading. The first type of development is a protagonist who starts out as being average or weak suddenly becoming overpowered. This is because overpowered protagonists are something I consider to be utter cancer since when the protagonist is overpowered, a series might as well end there since there will no longer be any true adversities that the protagonist will face since he can just overwhelm anything with the tremendous amount of power he possesses. All threats in the series starting from that point might as well be artificial and the protagonist has no room for further growth as a character since a person who never faces true adversity can never grow and improve themselves as individuals because there is no reason for them to do so.

The second type of development that would make me immediately drop a light novel I am reading is if the protagonist becomes an embittered edgelord or mass murderer. There is nothing more annoying than the protagonist of a series becoming either or both of these things and what makes it even worse is that they often also happen to become overpowered for very nonsensical reasons as well. They almost always behave like an asshole towards others and take out their frustrations on innocent people just because they believe that they are entitled to do anything they want since they had suffered too much in the past making them utter trash as characters.

19. chencking

chencking [Daolord Grammar Nazi]

Reading List:
    Link
    Your same wikipedia also says, with poor grammar, that they were freed and brainwashed from young into loyal fanatics. So no, Kul were not slaves. Plus, it also describes Ottoman slaves as sex slaves right above your excerpt. You should read deeper before you post cherry-picked excerpts or thoughtless wikipedia links. Wikipedia is already irreputable, and poor grammar only makes it more so. This seems decent.

tl;dr that example is BS

20. PotatoZero

Reading List:
    Link
    Read that, the only argument against calling kul as slaves was only,
    "While this is technically slavery, it is such a unique form of servitude as to require a different word."
    Where he admitted that it is indeed, technically, slavery,

Where did I say ALL slaves in Ottoman Empire are well-off? You're only asking SOME form of slavery that are better than others

Hanten likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.