Discussion Douche MC stood at the Apex

Discussion in 'Novel Discussion' started by Fluffy Jellyfish, Oct 8, 2018.

1. Fluffy Jellyfish

Fluffy Jellyfish 『Number 1 Lolicon under Heaven』

Reading List:
    Link
    After a long debate in my inner self whether I should bring this topic up in this forum, I choose to bring it up.

Do you ever think how Main Characters that described themselves as a douche/asshole or not good people stood at the apex of cultivation and become the strongest being in the universe?

Yun Che, Chu Feng, All that womanizer that got like 20 women in their fuckin harem, MC that will massacre an entire clan just because some of their elder is making trouble with him

Reminder as not to confused what I described as an asshole with the "I will not go overboard as long as the moral states it". Asshole MC by my definition is the one that will do anything even massacre, rape, or any large-scale killing because someone just 'slightly' offended him and the MC itself got the power to backup his action.

Doesn't they stand at the apex will destroy the very definition of Dao itself?
    They already doing something that against moral when they got a bit of power. I can't imagine what they will do when they become the strongest entity in the universe. Author tend to justify that this 'Asshole MC' can reach the Apex and nobody will dare to offend them, so they will not act against anyone.

How can anyone in the Dao way can feel safe during their journey to immortality when there is a pyschopath entity oversee them all that don't tolerable any slight of offense to them.

I very much appreciated any opinions you make in the comment section :blobokhand:

Kaiser Megami likes this.
  2. CripplingDepression

CripplingDepression 『Professional Loli Appraiser』

Reading List:
    Link
    So it's like running into a rapey Level 200 Paladin in the Starter Village where PVP is enabled :blobpeek:

8Psycho likes this.
  3. Devil of Boredom

Devil of Boredom Exists.

Reading List:
    Link
    IT is the will of the author...
    Its his own world let him be *sobbing heard in the distance*
    Plus I believe they are all gonna miraculously be good people by the end of the novel as nobody is gonna offend his woman or anything since he is the most powerful....
    Plus might is right so he can do anything...
    Never argue with their logic just enjoy it or don't read it....

4. Harem_lover

Harem_lover Loves Spice, and works with Spite

Reading List:
    Link
    well the matter of dao isn't an issue as from what i've read, dao can be anything you do, for example "dao of theft","dao of pills","dao of the sword", so as long as one is honest with himself the dao won't effect him, as for the moral argument...........i can't make one, but historically speaking wars were won by the ones who had advantages, and having a vague moral compass can be considered one, as you can easily sacrifice people for your aims with a clear conscious, as evident by the greatest warlords in history like gengis khan, sun tzu and many more, so i am not weirded out by the idea that the man with the most authority in the wold has blood in his hands, as kingdoms are basically nothing but a huge organised crime syndicate (in origins at least) which is why goverments are always so afraid of organised crime, they are afraid of being replaced.
    so in short i don't find it weird at all but rather....normal.
    :blobpats::blobpats::blobpats:

elengee and ThisKing like this.
  5. otaku31

otaku31 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Don't they say that the Heavens have no eye? Besides, every single cultivator, even the weakest one, is arguably going against the Heaven's dictates. So why single out just the evil ones? Moreover, when one is said to be the strongest, it usually means that they have broken thru the world's shackles, i.e., they have already overcome heaven's attempts to obstruct/destroy them.

The concept of Karma differs from novel to novel. What usually remains constant is the fact that bad Karma is accumulated most when killing mortals on a large scale; killing cultivators mostly doesn't count. Unless one practices an extremely evil cultivation technique that takes the lives of millions of innocents, they are unlikely to face heaven's wrath. Last but not least, one's achievements are not limited by one's personality; an evil cultivator has as much prob of reaching the peak as a good one.

6. Geor

Geor Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    that's from the over use of them using dao instead of path .... nine out of ten times path would be a better choice to use then dao in those stories

7. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't know where you've been the entire novel, but notice how everyone the MC meets (other than maybe victims) are douches/assholes? You know, all the elders, all the young masters, all the strong people and the like. The MC is just an extensions of that. Once the MC lives for a few thousand years, he will lose interest in the mortal realm due to it being too boring. And when he isn't paying attention, another douche/asshole will climb up to immortality and eventually defeat the MC and replace him. Then a few thousands years later the next douche/asshole.

There are already plenty of novels where the douche/asshole MC was at the apex, gets defeated or w\e and after reincarnated they have to start from scratch.

It's simply a never ending cycle of douschery/assholery, you can call it the dao of the asshole.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2018
  8. KnightN00

KnightN00 A single dog cultivator of LNMTL sect

Reading List:
    Link
    Come on, most if the MCs are hypocrite and horny. After they reach the apex, they gonna be slain by the next MC on the sequel.
    As for Dao? Meh, they promote killing each other for the comprehension of Dao, so, wiping the entire clan off probably common occurrence.

9. PotatoZero

PotatoZero Well-known Potato

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh? And what is this definition of Dao you mentioned?

10. Evil_Ginger

Evil_Ginger 『Lawful Neutral』『Cheese Master』『安德鲁』

Reading List:
    Link
    Dao of the 'rod' :blobamused:

11. elengee

elengee Daoist Ninefaps

Reading List:
    Link
    Eh ,these sect exterminations were not just because one guy made trouble. They kept sending more and more people, uncle, grandfather, great grandfather, ancestor. If anything, in most of these stories it's their own fault for not knowing when to admit the fault of their own people and back off. Various things happen before it gets to sect extermination.

Neither would i consider the names you list as 'assholes' , just provocative and antagonistic towards those that get in their way. Every single 'rape' in these stories is hardly comparable to what others do. Like the bitch that tortured Chu Feng for days, mutilating his body, even planning to do the same to Little Fishy which shows how morally corrupt she is. Oh damn, a small piece of her internal skin gets penetrated and everyone goes nuts, while she pierced his organs repeatedly. :hmm:

Harem_lover likes this.
  12. BlaszczeM

BlaszczeM Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Morals are a human thing. Dao is heartless and merciless, as many novels state. And there are "evil" Daos. For example Dao of Slaughter - it's morally evil, and yet it's still part of the Heavenly Dao.
    Also, if it was something forbidden by the Heavens, would evil cultivation methods exist? Well, they do, and in almost all stories demonic or evil cultivation methods are the strongest.

13. Harem_lover

Reading List:
    Link
    couldn't put it better myself, honestly i doubt anyone believes in that "we shouldn't act like them cause we are better than them" bs
    :cookie::cookie::cookie:

14. elengee

elengee Daoist Ninefaps

Reading List:
    Link
    I'd like to write a novel where various people reincarnate into a xianxia setting, each one has to adapt and fails due to the stereotypical flaws in their county's respective novels. JP vegetarian gets killed in chapter 3. Korean focuses on grinding wealth and gets abducted to work in a sweatshop. Chinese MC goes like 'After today there will be no more 'Wangs'!' but then finds out there's like a billion of them in the phonebook 'shit'. etc. lol.

Superioreos, Blitz, KnightN00 and 2 others like this.
  15. Harem_lover

Reading List:
    Link
    LOL i can see that happening, if ya ever actually make that i hope you send me the link

KnightN00 and elengee like this.
  16. Astaroth

Astaroth empty

Reading List:
    Link
    You mean just like it already was when MC was cultivating to become the strongest?

Usually the final big boss is exactly that kind of thing. MC replacing them shouldn't really be much of a surprise since they're usually so alike.

17. Robbini

Robbini Logical? Illogical? Random? Or Just Unique?

Reading List:
    Link
    Both the MC and many antagonists would do the same thing, but the MC does it by themself and the antagonists or pretty much anyone who picks a fight with the MC involves ever more powerful people in the conflict, so morally, I would say the MC is way superior as he does it by himself rather than pick a fight and depend on someone else to do it for you.

18. autumnscarf

autumnscarf Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think Desolate Era has the best explanation of the Dao in terms of cultivation novels (though idk if it's accurate in terms of how it relates to Taoism).

Basically, the Dao is amoral and becoming a cultivator to begin with is breaking the natural order of things to begin with. Therefore, whenever you break the natural order too much, the Heavenly Dao sends some lightning bolts your way as a trial. That's pretty much the only rule the Heavenly Dao enforces, although there are usually underlying systems like karma to deal with.

Since you're breaking the laws of heaven to begin with, it's more important to chase the dream with your utmost than it is to follow some moral code because cultivation is a zero-sum game in terms of limited precious ingredients and treasures etc., BUT, if you don't have a rock-steady personal code of some kind, your Dao's foundation will be shaky and it'll bite you in the ass later. Basically, cultivation tends to reward 'The ends justifies the means' with a dash of 'Know thyself'.

This is really why I prefer stories like DE, Douluo Dalu, My Disciple Died Yet Again, etc., because those stories are pretty clear about the cost of using the type of shortcuts you see in the 'MC is a douche'-types of stories. I can roll with the shortcut thing more if the cultivation isn't 100% the point of the story (Cultivation Chat Group) but I'm really against the 'acquire 982734982734 pills to achieve the next level' stories.

TBH, I have tried reading most of the novels you listed and could never get into them. It's less because the MC of those novels is an asshole (though I did quit reading one of them... ATG, I think? because the MC raped a character who tried to set him up with her friend instead of her) but because they're wish fulfillment face slapping novels with the same enemies over and over again, and the MC has no redeeming qualities to make up for that. This is the same reason I don't read 'assassin/medical god/poison expert from the 21st century transmigrates into the good-for-nothing x young lady cultivator' novels.

Fluffy Jellyfish likes this.
  19. KnightN00

KnightN00 A single dog cultivator of LNMTL sect

Reading List:
    Link
    It’s Martial God Asura. Not ATG.
    No offence.

20. autumnscarf

autumnscarf Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    None taken. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ They're all pretty much the same to me, in case my post wasn't clear.

Fluffy Jellyfish likes this.