Discussion Magic The Gathering - Arena (Beta)

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by Okuri Ookami, Oct 3, 2018.

1. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    The problem that VR had was the cryptocurrency craze happened at the same time which shot up GPU prices. Add to the fact that ram prices also went through the roof and the cost of the headsets.

But now, GPU prices are finally returning back down to how they were. And RAM prices are forecast to drop. Not to mention headset prices are also going down.

Add in new advances such as going wireless via wigig and 4k per eye, and there is still plenty of room. Back in early 2000s, people thought smartphones have no future too.

I'll tell you this, if they create a pokemon game for VR, you'd have millions of VR systems sold out in less than a month.

2. Okuri Ookami

Okuri Ookami 'Chi Chi Chi' calls the Sparrow

Reading List:
    Link
    But Nintendo has had no stated interest in VR after 2 or so yrs of PS, MS, Steam, and Samsung competing for various parts of the VR market Nintendo has only tackled Mixed reality or Augmented reality and that was Pokemon Go

3. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    That is because nintendo used to have something called Virtual Boy in the 90s that failed big time. So they are being extremely cautious. That said, Nintendo has confirmed they are studying VR in hopes of adding it to the switch in the future.

Hackers have already located a VR test mode on the nintendo switch which they were able to activate.

4. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    That's a huge stretch, the vast majority of the playerbase won't ever check Wizards' website.

If anything, it's likely that anyone that plays the game for a long time has friends that play the game for a long time too... And among all those friends, there is probably at least one that does check the Wizards' website, and that one friend may spread the news about it.

So while it is likely that the regular players do know of it, it's probably through friends, not through directly checking the website.
    MTGArena solved a lot of the problems of Hearthstone (The DotA one) actually, there is still room for plenty of improvement, but their beta seems really promising rn~

Okuri Ookami likes this.
  5. Truerror

Truerror Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes, but the vast majority of the playerbase aren't "loyal MTG players". They're casuals. Sure, they might play some MTG, have a deck or two, and might even get into one or two local amateur tourneys, but they're not what you'd call "loyal" or as some might put it, "core" players.

For starters, the easiest way to check the banlist is through their website. They usually update the list every time a new set is released. I have never been a core MTG player, but I used to play YGO a lot, and did enter local tourneys. Which meant I had to pay close attention to YGO's banlist. I imagine it's the same with MTG.

Also, maybe I misunderstand what you said, but Hearthstone isn't the DOTA TCG. It's based on Warcraft lore. DOTA's TCG isn't released yet, but there's been gameplay videos of it on Youtube. It's pretty much DOTA in card form, complete with the three lanes, and creeps.

6. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    Loyal MTG players = Casuals IMO, since that's the vast majority of the people that actually buy stuff~

Or well, unless you consider the minority that goes to tournaments and stuff the loyal players... Which is well, a weird way of looking at it IMO, but it's a way.

Also, MTG's banlist rarely gets any update btw, Standard almost never gets ban, Modern doesn't get bans often either, Legacy and Commander bans are as rare as blue moons, and nobody plays the other formats.

So... Paying attention to MTG's banlist is a lot less necessary than paying attention to YGO's banlist. Although some attention is necessary I guess, whenever a new card is banned it's generally followed by a huge ruckus in all sorts of social medias, so it's easy to know it without touching Wizard's site.

My bad about the DotA TCG thing then, I just assumed it was a weird name for Hearthstone since DotA uses Blizzard characters and so does HearthStone, so I just assumed it was the same thing.

7. Truerror

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh well, I guess casuals do buy stuff, so you could use that definition too. I know I did, and I'm a casual. Spent money on the ill-fated Magic Duels too.

For me, "loyal" means that the player is less likely to switch to another TCG. Maybe he plays a new TCG when it's released, like Hearthstone, but only plays MTG seriously. Or at least that's the impression I get every time people mention "loyal fans/users of brand X".

8. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    I think most casual players are only dedicated towards a single card game... Deckbuilding is expensive, so there is a limit to how much money you're willing to spend in games aside from your main one.

I mean, I play MTG, YGO and HS, but I never spent a dime in HS, and only a small bit in YGO, everything else was in MTG... I'd consider myself part of the more loyal MTG fanbase~

9. Truerror

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, I was the same. I mostly spent money on YGO, and only dabbled a bit in MTG (and later HS), but ultimately, I only played YGO seriously, though I was never a champion or anything like that. I finally quit when the proliferation of FTK/OTK cookie-cutters became too much for me to handle. Compared to my YGO days, I'm decidedly a casual when it comes to MTG.

That said though, the reason why I'm somewhat excited for Arena is because at this point, I'm very unlikely to return to YGO. I was never really into HS, and I'm really hoping that Arena can scratch my TCG itch. I won't be getting beta though, because as I've said before, Duels was a disappointment.

AliceShiki likes this.
  10. null

null Procrastinate Lv MAX

Reading List:
    Link
    Starting mono deck are too weak. Got obliterated by free dual deck because I go arena with starting mono deck. Its like using slingshot against guns. Especially the most annoying 3: blue/green , white/black and white/green deck. Now I'm barely gain arena rating while losing drop me to 0 =.=

11. CyberCypher

CyberCypher Air Breather

Reading List:
    Link
    Actually Valve is making a new CCG based of dota called artifact to bee released this november ( I think). its a card game that
    - uses three boards ( like three lanes)
    - a "shopping phase " ( like dota)
    - 5 heroes per deck/match ( like dota)

12. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    Uhn...
    You're a bit late in making this reply... >.>

13. CyberCypher

CyberCypher Air Breather

Reading List:
    Link
    :blobpeek: I have brought shame to my family, I will now commit sudoku :blobsweat:

but if you want a very friendly to F2P players Card game I would suggest eternal card game in steam

it just has a very lengthy tutorial /start

14. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    HS is F2P friendly enough for me, and I don't feel like playing card games that nobody that I know plays~

15. Truerror

Reading List:
    Link
    And here I thought you quoted me for something interesting... :blobunamused:

Well, doesn't matter. While I'm here I think I should spread some news instead:

For all the soon-to-be MTG Arena players in SE Asia, please read this.

Now, to be fair, I have a friend (well, more like an acquaintance really) who just joined the open beta (about two days ago, I think). He's Indonesian, and he confirmed that he couldn't find "Indonesia" in the list where you select your region. He was able to play though, by selecting the US as his region. When I asked how he managed to circumvent the region lock, he said he did nothing. Just select a different region and you're good to go.

What's interesting is, while he didn't find Indonesia there, he did find Timor Leste. So I guess that supports that Reddit post I linked.

16. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    Sowwy! >.<
    I'm not from SEA, but I read it anyways, however... I think the guy forgot to say what was the whole problem in the post? Like... They said that WotC did a terrible thing with Tencent and that they didn't step back nor communicate nor anything and stuff like that, but... Didn't say what was the thing they did?

From the context and some commentaries, I guess they made the game in Chinese for the whole SEA? Seems pretty annoying...

Edit: Found it~

17. Truerror

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, according to the articles I read, the main problem is that Tencent has a lousy reputation, and they kinda proved it with their handling of the SEA MTG servers, effectively locking players out from the system.

But, while that is certainly a cautionary tale, I'd take it with a grain of salt. Like I said, a friend of mine successfully played the open beta by simply changing his region to US. Now, I don't know whether this would affect anything down the line, like microtransactions and player pool in random matches, but I'll definitely keep it in mind when I decide to start playing later.

AliceShiki likes this.