Discussion Mtl money makers

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Veri, Oct 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Veri

Veri Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Lately I've noticed a lot of potentially good novels that are unfortunately translated incomprehensibly and with a pace of like 1 chapter a month.

One common thing with these sites that translate these novels is that they are infested with ads + shady pop ups.

So doesn't it seem a bit weird that the chapters seem to come straight through google translate or something, but it takes ages for the next chapter to be released.

For me it feels like these sites are spitting in the face of the actual translators who work their asses off to release chapters daily with superb quality.

What do you guys think and should there be a separate rating for the translation quality on the novels shown on this site?

Xi-hime and EpyonKnightt like this.
  2. Kagutsuchi

Kagutsuchi 『Omnipresent Reader』

Reading List:
    Link
    Mmm, we can rate the TL Group itself, they can add that option :blobpopcorn:

I can feel Webnovel's 1/5 Stars from here...

3. RedKaiser

RedKaiser [PATH OF HEAVEN] [RULER OF ALL]

Reading List:
    Link
    The readers knew how to judge the sites when there are lnmtl already established for mtl novels. For money making site that update once a month . Most won't go there and I doubt they made even a buck per month

Rickymex likes this.
  4. Sin

Sin Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    When it's mtl there is no need for delays, I mean all your doing is pretty much copy and paste work. Quite a bit is lost in translation and unless the person involved "corrects" the inconsistencies there is little value in delaying the translation every month. I don't mind ads per say but that's when I'm not using my phone. As an ad always seems invasive, which means it requires an adblock which hurts every other translator out there, because most probably don't think to consider decent website who filter the bad ads.

5. EpyonKnightt

EpyonKnightt Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    And you should be able to flag a TL Group in some cases.

6. Cosmic_

Cosmic_ [Novel Addict] [Lazy Writer] [Meh Editor]

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, these sites are often just taking advantage of ignorant readers. Some sites are not even transparent and pretend that they are actual translation with just bad quality (me bad at English). I also saw one site call their MTLs “auto-translations” almost as if to avoid saying they just MTLed. The once a month thing is also to almost cheat NU’s policy so they remain the main translator.

Tony told me that NU does not accept non-edited MTL. Which mean next to none edited MTLs will be accepted. If it’s as bad as MTL, I’d rather MTL myself and be able to catch up to the raws rather than wait an entire month for a barely-edited MTL chapter by a shameless, deceptive profiteer.

Xi-hime likes this.
  7. replay

replay ★Milk and Honey smelling Merchant★

Reading List:
    Link
    well i remember a group where they do a good job using MTL . . ..
    well it is kinda old but . . .
    Madan no Ou to Vanadis
    that's the title. . . . they do a good job doing it. . . .
    well. . . won't it stay 0 stars if no one voted it?

but welp i guess not. . .. they will send the hoard. . . .

8. Cosmic_

Reading List:
    Link
    I’ve read a lot of MTLers (editors). Good and bad. I don’t think MTL is bad thing. It’s just the way some people do things. If a person is going to MTL, they should be transparent that it’s MTL, hold an accepted degree of quality and speed, and allow a proper translator to pick up the series (they could even just have the prospective TLer send a sample before giving permission/transfer).

I think MTLing can be good for a community to more easily increase the number and diversity of novels. It can also be a good way to make prospective translators see that a novel is good and popular enough and deserves a proper translation instead of just hoping a TL see and chooses to do a Pickup Request. It can also be good to just build an audience or a demand for a novel’s translation. That’s why I like groups like Pick Up This Novel Translations. The problems happen when a poor job is done and when people with not so good intentions and character come into play and take advantage of this.

Xi-hime likes this.
  9. rexzshadow

rexzshadow Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I give people props for doing proper MTL. People that take in the time and effort to make it nice to read. Coz editing that is so much harder when you don't know what the original meaning is. More effort is spend into editing that than actually translating. Sadly very few people put in the effort and rather just copy paste and at most have this like index of names/stuff to replace in the raw.

Xi-hime, AliceShiki and Cosmic_ like this.
  10. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    That's dumb, nobody makes any profit from releasing monthly chapters. Rather, they are probably losing money because server costs are bigger than what they earn.

They MTL the novels probably because they want to read it themselves, but nobody is translating it, so they took the job upon themselves to do it... If you want to read a better version of the novel, translate it yourself.

Of course, there are people doing MTL for money, but those are definitely not the people with monthly releases.
    It's the opposite, it's really easy to get any MTL on NU, even if the quality is really bad.

The mods will just run your MTL through 3 or so different sites (like Google translate, Bing Translate and Systrans for example) and if they see that your translation doesn't match really really reaaaaally closely with any of those, it will be approved, regardless of how good (or bad) your quality is.

11. Cosmic_

Reading List:
    Link
    :blobsweat_2:
    That’s what I meant/said. Tony said direct copy-paste non-edited MTL is not accepted, but bad MTL with only the minimal amount needed for it to not be exactly the same (next to none) will be accepted meaning it’s easy to get on the site release.

It’s unfortunate that is the case, but there’s not really much that can be done as accepting releases based on quality in it of itself would cause a lot of problems and need of manpower. That doesn’t even take into the difficulties and problems of why there shouldn’t be a staff on NU judging TL quality or if something is MTL or just bad TL.

AliceShiki likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.