Discussion The future is now (vr)

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Shub-Niggurath, Oct 13, 2018.

?

Hype ?

1. Yes

51.5%
  2. No

24.2%
  3. Mixed/other reasons

24.2%
  1. Shub-Niggurath

Shub-Niggurath Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hey~

I'm currently watching some nice virtual reality game on youtube and I suddenly realized that what was science-fiction in novels and other stuff is currently happening. By this I mean that we have already good enough graphism on recent game to simulate photorealistic landscape. And vr is still in a early phase..

I have seen a prototype of a vr headset combined with an headset that can read the electrical signal from your brain to command "by thinking" some action in game.
    Some vr game on steam have really good concept (virtual virtual reality is a game where you enter different simulation. It was an idea shown in thegam3 on royalroad and holy shit it has potential).

But after asking telling my friends it seems nobody really care about it, I am the only one that is excited about this topic ? I mean there is so much potential. Not only in gaming but also in other field.

The only ones that are somewhat interested in the topic said "it will be like SAO blabla" because SAO was the first famous (but not really deserving) novel/anime that had this topic.
    I can tell you now, SAO was to virtual reality what Jaws was to real shark attack. If you truly want to know more about the topic of virtual reality go read anything but SAO please.

TL;DR : Are you hype for the futur of virtual reality ? Or do you think it won't reach its promises.

MrSplashy likes this.
  2. Scarce

Scarce reaping my good karma

Reading List:
    Link
  3. LordBS

LordBS Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I hope so but full immersion will probably be available in only 10 or 20 years and that's being optimistic.

MrSplashy, Rumby and mir like this.
  4. Hotato

Hotato Eternally Confused

Reading List:
    Link
    it will be the matrix all over again

5. Drake98

Drake98 Concerned Fan

Reading List:
    Link
    But there's still no flying car!

6. tsundere_taichou

tsundere_taichou [Cute Demon Sect]

Reading List:
    Link
    The graphics and framerates you would need for it to be great requires about 10 more years of development in cpu and gpus, nevermind the vr headsets would need some serious upgrades realistically id say more like 15-20. So im mildly hopefull i will get to stomp any future kids i have in vr fortnite 58 guess?

MrSplashy, Innieminnie and strayCat0 like this.
  7. Robbini

Robbini Logical? Illogical? Random? Or Just Unique?

Reading List:
    Link
    It'll improve during our lifespans, but it's hard whether it'll be as good as in novels, as cheap as in novels and how fun the games would be etc.

Plausible , but not yet

Innieminnie likes this.
  8. Rogue Will

Rogue Will [A Passing Devil]

Reading List:
    Link
    I hope that i can experience VR before death. I mean, even if the technology is released soon (20-30 years) and with an badass game, how much of us will really afford to buy the thing? Selling the house don't count.

Rumby and Innieminnie like this.
  9. lordsoul

lordsoul Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The future can never be now though. if the future was now it would be the present not the future

10. UnGrave

UnGrave ななひ~^^

Reading List:
    Link
    Hey, you got a source on the neural interface prototype you were talking about there? It's always been the thing blocking my hype from running free since it's pretty much the last piece until we have basic full dive.

MrSplashy likes this.
  11. Shub-Niggurath

Reading List:
    Link
    This looks pretty realistic to me and is recorded on a "medium" range gpu (gtx 1060). Ofc this is more of a demo than a game. But It is possible to have such graphics today. The main issue however is the engine that can't handle dust, sand or pebble like in real life.

You just need to type virtual reality mind control to find this or that. The 2nd video is older and I didn't find more information about it but the first link is promising because its more recent.

12. FalseGod

FalseGod Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    But i need kinton cloud

13. genocidegrand

genocidegrand Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    i thought legendary moonlight sculptor come out first?

14. Kuroguma

Kuroguma [Cyber Lich] [Aspie] [SOX][Forgotten Perv]

Reading List:
    Link
    CPU prob'bly, but gpu not necessarily, could just use the brain, by having it decoding the signals, you could add pain and even smell to the game then.

15. Shub-Niggurath

Reading List:
    Link
    2007 for LMS 2002 for the novel of SAO (same year as .hack) so yeah LMS didn't come out first. However the topic related to virtual reality have been discussed way before that in litterature and movie anyways (like Matrix as a famous exemple).

genocidegrand likes this.
  16. Drake98

Drake98 Concerned Fan

Reading List:
    Link
    It would set the world back to 1984

17. UnGrave

UnGrave ななひ~^^

Reading List:
    Link
    That sounds further off than just getting a better gpu. Plus I can't imagine the pains trying to program smell and pain into a game, given it's probably different for each person. I'd give that at least another 30 or so years before it's reasonably feasible in actual games.

MrSplashy and Ai chan like this.
  18. abewan

abewan 〘Nishikigoi Dungeon〙

Reading List:
    Link
    But what about AR?

19. Kuroguma

Kuroguma [Cyber Lich] [Aspie] [SOX][Forgotten Perv]

Reading List:
    Link
    Well yes, we'd need much more research into how the brain decodes the info from nerves and the signal it gets from eyes, ears, touch and taste. This could also help the blind, deaf and people with amputated limbs.

20. jinxs2011

jinxs2011 [Rebel Against Normality][Writer of the Unusual]

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah. People above have already made the point, but photorealistic graphics would require computers with much higher processing power than what the average person has, and probably higher than what's commercially available right now. The real problems with virtual reality as it is now (imo) (which i believe i've mentioned in another thread) is that object you pick up have no weight in your hands, and the space you can move around in is restricted by your space in reality.

Full dive tech is obviously the solution to the last problems, but I think we're still a ways off that. But when that time comes... I think we'll have a resurgence of people practicing things like kendo and martial arts.

MrSplashy likes this.