Discussion The future is now (vr)

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Shub-Niggurath, Oct 13, 2018.

?

Hype ?

1. Yes

51.5%
  2. No

24.2%
  3. Mixed/other reasons

24.2%
  1. OverlordPotato

OverlordPotato Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It would still take another 100 years at least before you could get trapped in a game as an undead Overlord though :cookie:
    No "Sasuga Ainz-sama" before that. Nazarick would have to wait I guess. :blob_grin:

Btw, you should have a look at Hololens. That thing looks cool; it won't be anywhere cheap when it is fully released for consumers though. Currently at $3000+ for developer version. And that when it comes without any warranty. :sweating_profusely:

2. UnGrave

UnGrave ななひ~^^

Reading List:
    Link
    Unfortunately I didn't really see anything great in those videos that shows any promise of feasible game-play any time soon. I've seen children using the brainwave reading equipment in some local science fairs, but the best they can get is on or off. At the very least it's going to take quite some time to learn how to play games with it, but it could be useful as an auxiliary interface for normal computer use. However, I'm guessing that it's going to be more unreliable than speech recognition software was in the early days, and really frustrating to use. Also, not that they say it uses eye tracking in the first video, and most likely it relies mostly on that aspect, perhaps using the brain interface as a mouse click or something.
    Luckily in terms of helping totally blind people see, we have seen real examples of projecting light input to a fully blind persons brain (though, the one I remember was on the discovery channel 5 or 6 years ago). Unfortunately this tech is still quite far off, so we'll be using screens for the foreseeable future.

MrSplashy likes this.
  3. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    VR is something literally every gamer alive is looking forward to.

The problem is that the last time they looked, "VR" meant something like this. Which is NOT what they're looking forward to.

The hype died because too much of current VR is a joke.

MrSplashy likes this.
  4. jinxs2011

jinxs2011 [Rebel Against Normality][Writer of the Unusual]

Reading List:
    Link
    Yep, the potential of VR is much further than simple gaming. I mean, blind/deaf people still have sound/sight programmed into their brains, they just don't have the physical capabilities for it. So if they figure out a way to send those signals, they'll be able to let blind people see, deaf people hear and so on.

Businesses could also set up virtual servers so their employees can go there and work from home (and again those blind and deaf people will also be able to do this, giving them a much wider range of options) with no travel time at all, but still having that face-to-face interaction. It'll bring people across the world closer together again, on a scale comparable to the effect of the internet itself. Businesses could hire anyone, in any country, as long as they have the dive pod (and there's no legal kerfuffle), without having to worry about them being close to a work site - because its right there in their home. Even customer-facing jobs could be done virtually (more effectively as time passes and tech advances) - customers could go to the virtual workplace through some sort of search function, or IRL customers could be greeted by a real person through a full-length screen (or hologram, later on) that would have a set-up on the virtual side that corresponds precisely to the real one and is programmed to send signals to their real world counterparts - printing, scanning products, etc.

They'll have to set up new laws around it.

VR will pretty much change the world, once it comes to fruition, but especially if it becomes cheap enough that the average family can buy one or two.

MrSplashy likes this.
  5. EnerHighwave

EnerHighwave Holy Daugther of Kyuu 8❤️ Speedy's pet Lovely's ❤️

Reading List:
    Link
    I pretty much imagine humanity having a second life in VR(with total or partial immersion) in the future as for how long will be the wait I can say that as for now is a long way but for normal VR there are already some good advances with some technologies still not at the level you will want but I'm hearing promises of VR since I was a toddler and now have already been 15 years more or less so maybe another 10-15 years is till realistically possible for it to improve much more than it already has till now
    PS I'm considering the normal VR something actually playable not the teleport like movement that almost all of them have now or the more glitched than the original Skyrim VR

6. rook14

rook14 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    No, I think im dead by the time its good full vr. And you people too, dead as fuck.

MrSplashy likes this.
  7. kelkel1133

kelkel1133 Well-known Devil

Reading List:
    Link
    yea... and a simple bug will surely kill you

8. Shub-Niggurath

Shub-Niggurath Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Forgot hololens, the technique used isn't cost efficient. That link is the futur tho.

The main issue currently with vr game is that you can't move as you want. You have to focus where you go with the in game curb. If that aspect could be removed with mind control (you can mind control the direction you're going into) it would solve A LOT of problem developping vr.

It cannot possibly happen. At least not in virtual reality. Your brain only receive stimulus. What can happen however is that you suffer a lot of pain, stress. Also everyone is afraid of this, like people were afraid of electricity. However using your computer/phone right now isn't killing you right ? Because we have safety mesure for that. That's probably what will happen too for vr.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2018
    MrSplashy likes this.
  9. Ai chan

Ai chan Queen of Yuri, Devourer of Traps, Thrusted Witch

Reading List:
    Link
    This is just a gimmick. True, there are gaming input peripherals that can allow you to 'control' the game, but we've had this technology since the 1980s with the older generation consoles. This technology has not progressed much since then. There are always new devices being announced but what it does are very simple things, such as controlling a fan to spin faster in a tube.

It's also not a plug and play method. You have to first map your responses to the controls. You want to make your character jump? You have to train the device to first identify your EEG as well as muscle movements to match that input. And it must be precise. The device can't understand the input otherwise, which means there may be times when you want to jump but it doesn't jump because the device can't understand what you're trying to tell it to do. They don't actually take the impulse from the brain, but from the EEG (for the expensive devices), your stress level and the movement of your muscles.

In other words, these devices will tire your head instead of your fingers. The level of muscle movements on your head for something like Counterstrike will be insane. Also, none of the devices up til today actually allows full dive, you have to be awake and consciously moving your head muscles to control stuff.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2018
    MrSplashy likes this.
  10. Lazriser

Lazriser Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Rather than hyped, it is inevitable that we as a society will usher in age of automatons and virtual machinery with imagination as the black box to a more prosperous society between man and data. The only problem is will I live until the first successful trial is publicly released or will our future generations be the first to experience a fully immersive virtual world similar or equivalent to the virtual reality novels level of technology. All we need is time, but time waits for no one. We can only hope the advancement in the field will be successful in leaps larger than now in a decade or two at best, and at worst, within the century.

MrSplashy likes this.
  11. kelkel1133

kelkel1133 Well-known Devil

Reading List:
    Link
    It cannot possibly happen. At least not in virtual reality. Your brain only receive stimulus. What can happen however is that you suffer a lot of pain, stress. Also everyone is afraid of this, like people were afraid of electricity. However using your computer/phone right now isn't killing you right ? Because we have safety mesure for that. That's probably what will happen too for vr.[/QUOTE]
    Lots of pain can kill you. A cellphone bursting to flames can kill you. A pc struck by thunder can kill you. Surely, a glitching bug will send cold sensations to your brain and probably kill you. Abrupt disconnection to the server will probably send emptiness to your brain and kill you. An error in appearance may disorient you and kill you with nausea at worst

12. tsundere_taichou

tsundere_taichou [Cute Demon Sect]

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah but realistically whats the framerate gonna be, note that vr takes more reasources than just displaying on a screen

13. tsundere_taichou

tsundere_taichou [Cute Demon Sect]

Reading List:
    Link
    We most likely wont have brain powered processing units within 10 years.

14. AryaX

AryaX Less-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Display tech and sufficient processing power to implement OculusRift type headset with indistinguishable from reality visuals is probably possible within 10-25 years.. but the tech to manipulate the senses we have to detect our movement and orientation and such which would be required to allow people to move naturally in the virtual world without moving the same way in the real world without suffering horrible motion sickness will take much much longer.. probably at least one additional zero need to be added to number of years until we get there..

15. MrSplashy

MrSplashy Grey Knight

Reading List:
    Link
    First thing if we want to have a full Immersion VR machine/capsule/headgear is that we must have a breakthrough on our research about the Human Brains before we able to get to experience right now. I think I read it somewhere that we can simulate some of our senses now and that we are close to other senses, I don't where I read that since it's 2 - 3 years now. As for a viable VR well it will take 10 -20 or 30 years to be able to get that kind of technology unless we experience either a Technological Boon or something. Know this always that Technology evolves every single day. Every day there's a small improvement made by other people, we might not know 'bout it but it's still there.

I am hoping we can get to experience it pretty soon. Is it true that by 2020s Quantum Processor will be viable? If it is then it will massively help with VR, Computers, and any techs around.

Ai chan likes this.
  16. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    ya know what da biggest problem for full dive VR game on fiction story?
    no imo not brain tech
    da hardest struggle is clearance on security approved by government~
    on truly stupid idiot government allow SAO incident happen~ or corrupt one~

brainwashing will be whole grade upgraded cuz it whole grade easier~

da tech is one thing but da security is whole another big problem~
    so full dive VR imo only applicable to military purpose until who knows~
    it is good device to train soldier to kill it sense~

Ai chan likes this.