Discussion Groups who Machine Translate

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Digix, Oct 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kuro_0ni

Kuro_0ni Cocooned in a Life transition

Reading List:
    Link
    Soooooo What you're asking for is like a ratings system, but for translators.

Example

JN > EN Translator #1. 3/5 stars

JN > EN Translator #2. 4/5 stars

KN > EN Translator #3. 2/5 stars

Or something like that

Old_Man likes this.
  2. Sheepo

Sheepo 『Pyoo's Fated One』

Reading List:
    Link
    And I tried to make it really obvious... Sarcasm, you heard of it before?

Wujigege likes this.
  3. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    You need more sarcasm training. It has never been your strong suit lol.
    @tides I have said it before that we need less hobbyists and people who conduct themselves professionally not prima donnas who think they are above reproach.
    Having readers walk on egg shells is just as shitty as those who insult translators.
    A simple website just like web novel reviews but for translators will be nice

4. Sheepo

Sheepo 『Pyoo's Fated One』

Reading List:
    Link
    What I actually mean is something like a rating based of a translation group and a novel. So group A translates novel B really well, but Novel C is just a mess... Rating each chapter like Qidian does would also be an idea, but probably impossible to integrate into NU...

5. BoredNovelFinder

BoredNovelFinder Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't really bother with those. I find them iffy at best. Too much lost in edited machine translated stories. I much prefer someone who can legitimately translate from one language to English. I especially appreciate those that explain the hidden context at the end of the chapter. Footnotes are a godsend.

6. Kuro_0ni

Kuro_0ni Cocooned in a Life transition

Reading List:
    Link
    Integrating a rating system per chapter isn't that hard.

It's managing that system which would be nightmare.

Because while there may be honest reviews on said chapter, its also possible for trolls to negative review it as well.

For example the current review system for novels at this time. A lot of the reviews are biased, and float towards an extreme.

So recapping, rating per chapter isn't hard. Moderating those ratings/ reviews will be a challenge.

7. rexzshadow

rexzshadow Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I do think a good command of English is far more important than good command in the native language. Because in the end the readers are reading English. While it may take more time to under the raw or you miss some really small stuff but overall reader will have a much better experience than someone who 100% understand the raw but can't phrase it into English properly at all.

Also why translation of people learning the raw language end up improving better than translation of people learning english. Because the first group already knows english well enough so once they pick up the language of the raw a bit their english can make up for a lot of it. Again in the end reader read the english not the raw. However people learning english well would be learning english so the improvement will be slow and the reader basically reading writing from someone just learning english. (man I could not for a good way to phrase that but I think people get the idea)

Ofc this all come down to how hard working each individual are in the end.

Like if someone who knows english and doesn't know Chinese they can literally take a sentence in chinese and translate it word by word to get the rough idea. Then wrote out the meaning they manage to extract out in good english. It would looks WAY better than someone who knows chinese but doesn't know english trying to translate into english.

readerz and Wujigege like this.
  8. Junweizhu

Junweizhu Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    And then there are those who know neither of the languages well. Or at least appear to be.
    Well, at least they're trying and probably improving too.

Old_Man likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.