Is my internet upload speed capped below 1.00 mb/s normal?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by LordOfPears12, Oct 20, 2018.

1. LordOfPears12

LordOfPears12 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The thing is that i have two internet modem (FASTWEB) one at home the other at my parent's bar the strange thing is the upload speed is rarely above 1mb/s meanwhile the download can be called somewhat decent at 6/10 mb/s. I wonder if it's normal/there's a solution or the company is screwing us or being stingy?
    Btw im in ITALY
    Btw the price is 30euro/month

Last edited: Oct 21, 2018
    bbctheory84 likes this.
  2. Ophis

Ophis 『God Slayer』 『Dragon God』 『Harem Seeker』

Reading List:
    Link
    Upload speed is generally at 1/10 of your Internet's download speed. Unless you sign for a special service with increased upload, it's that way at least in my country.

aridharma likes this.
  3. Ianisomega

Ianisomega Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That, good sir, is why Net Neutrality is needed.

4. AtratusImperator

AtratusImperator Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Literally nothing to do with that. He's in Italy.

5. LordOfPears12

LordOfPears12 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I edited in that after his comment

6. Scarce

Scarce reaping my good karma

Reading List:
    Link
    spend more money get better internet, upload speed is always lower then download speed, not much you can do

Femme Fatale likes this.
  7. Skoll028

Skoll028 Member of DivineDaoLibrary

Reading List:
    Link
    You're misunderstanding a bit how internet connections work I think (of course I could be misunderstanding also).
    It's like having cake. 100 mb/s is the full cake.
    What your connection does it cuts the cake into pieces to give each device connected. Basically, it's near impossible to have the full 100 mb/s when you are connected, unless you only have 1 device connected.
    On top of that, internet connections always leave a little bit of leeway for ingoing/outgoing traffic, so the data transfer rate isn't entirely used up. Using an ethernet cord will help your speed a lot, as well as your stability, but you will almost never get that full 100 mb/s.

TLDR/In summary: If you have a lot of devices connected, it slows your speed down, so try to have less devices connected/get a better router. If you aren't using an ethernet cable, it slows your speed down. Try both, and if you still have issues, then it is most likely your ISP.

If I'm incorrect in what I said here, please point it out, I only have a passing knowledge on this topic lol.

8. JadeWhiteSkin

JadeWhiteSkin please rescue~

Reading List:
    Link
    yes its capped at 1 mbs if thats what you pay for, if thats not what you pay for its not capped at it. easy as that

9. vancenick

vancenick Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It varies by country but as an ex internet provider the going rate is 10%-20% download if you get a commercial or work from home internet connection it would be more towards the 30-

10. TamaSaga

TamaSaga Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Because of how they manage bandwidth, there may be a mismatch in upload / download speeds for certain technologies. For instance, DSL or Cable.

11. kevmasterzoc

kevmasterzoc Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That's normal. unless the internet connection is for a business, you don't need fast uploads. that's why for home lines they dedicate more of it to the download stream. so if you want to have faster upload, you have to sacrifice download speed and/or pay them to lay special lines down that support higher uploads

12. Demonic Poring

Demonic Poring 『Well-Known Poring』

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmmm...
    1. internet connections are shared, so all active devices using the Internet connection from your router have to split up the available speed.
    2. Most home broadband services are also asymmetric, which simply means that more of the total bandwidth is dedicated to the download channel than to the upload. This is because most home users want to download far more data than they upload
    3. How are you connected to the router? WiFi connection speeds vary depending on conditions. As wireless connection quality varies the connection speeds are renegotiated.
    4. Upload and download are 2 way connection. It mean even if your internet connection is 1GB/s, if the servers that you are transferring/downloading data have a shitty connection or limits their connection then your upload or download speeds will be limited.

That's all that I can think

13. earthdrake

earthdrake Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Usually internet service providers (ISP) do the same thing in all of the countrys. They sell you an uneven connection, high download speed and usually between 1/8 to 1/12 (or worse) upload speed. This is mainly for 2 reasons, normal users don't really use the upload speed and to sell business connections (with more upload speed) to people who need it.