Question Cultivation chat group / A***ole MC ?

Discussion in 'Novel Discussion' started by Zanzatora, Oct 19, 2018.

1. Anra7777

Anra7777 All powerful magic grammar hamster queen pirate.

Reading List:
    Link
    I had pretty much the same reaction when I started reading CCG, especially with how Soft Feather doesn’t care about crippling innocent people. All I can say is, it gets funnier. I feel like my own sense of morals has become a bit twisted, though, as I no longer bat an eye at the MC slaughtering people, and he no longer seems like such an a-hole. Considering how many people don’t even remember him killing anyone at all, I’m probably still okay? There remain some questionable moments throughout, and I find myself slightly uncomfortable with the occasional casual sexism the author wields in trying to be “funny,” but I still enjoy the story over all. It’s pretty much the only story I read whose audience is meant to be guys.

As for the people who find the dog eating thing okay, I have a few arguments: one, it was a British man, and yes, he did eat his dog, and as far as I’m aware, it is NOT okay in Britain to eat dogs. Two, that character shows later in the story that he SHOULD NOT be a dog owner for multiple reasons. Three, the dog was killed and eaten because of Soft Feather’s actions. It was an innocent dog. Four, the dog was the guy’s PET, not some random doggo. Pets are meant to be like family members. It would be like: you adopt a child>some woman sticks a gun to the child’s head, forcing him/her to slash at you with a knife, injuring you>you decide to kill and eat the child.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2018
  2. Konstantin

Konstantin Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    WTF? Guy beat thugs who wanted to beat him and tried to rape innocent girl.. OMG, MC is so immoral (I agree, he should kill those scumbags instead, to save other people from beating and rape, some torture for their past sins should be nice too). Then MC beat guy whose actions almost get him killed.. OMG, he is so immoral. And eating dogs is normal for China, btw..

3. quarkrj

quarkrj Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Have you watched the TV show Archer ? The titular character is a complete a***ole, he kills someone in the first episode without batting an eye, he regularly tortures people, and also objectifies woman to no end. And trust me he doesn't think about "innocence" either. It is still one of the most funny and enjoyable shows I have seen. Of course to enjoy it you have to start with a blank slate and not go into it thinking 'no killing or I leave'.
    Full disclosure, I read CCG long ago and have mostly forgotten about it. Anyway I am not talking about CCG, I am talking about any novel, TV show in general.

4. Karyehs

Karyehs Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I guess you need to be a CN-veteran to be able to understand and appreciate the humour. The writing style is specked with humour from the very beginning... to be exact, the setting in itself is parody-like... And every character interaction is basically a parody of some widely used trope, you probably have seen several times in other novels.... just "different".

Reading CCG without CN-experience is like watching Gintama as your first anime ever.

Also you are talking about eating dogs is immorale? What about cows then? Have you ever met a cow? Not seeing them through a fence, but "interacting" with it on a pasture? They aren't as "stupid" as most people think... the same is true for pigs. What makes them eat-able, but not dogs? Tbh. dogs simply have too little meat that they are worth keeping as lifestock, while they make easy to condition slaves/companions for humanity... There is a lot wrong with the world, but eating dogs and beating up violent rapists surely isn't in the top 100 on the list.

5. Captain_Ironfoundersson

Captain_Ironfoundersson Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    1. The thugs he beaten are the bad guys. Nothing wrong with feeling good with it.
    2. The mortal who got his teeth broken sold the MC's personal data to his enemy, putting his family in mortal danger. Getting his teeth broken are pretty lenient, considering the harm he caused to the MC.
    3. The one got blamed isn't a good guy anyway. That guy tried to used his strength to back-up his juniors who were harrassing girls.
    4. The MC will kill if he has to. But such occurences are few and far apart, since the cultivators won't mess with him because he is the MC.
    5. Its something normal in China to eat dogs.
    6. And finally, the MC is a good guy. He practically a saint (pun intended).

6. ayyshadow

ayyshadow Eternal Lurker || Lover of Anything Fluffy

Reading List:
    Link
    I found CCG funny since the very beginning, so if you don't get the humor even after 60 chaps, I guess it's just not to your taste. Personally, CCG is one of the funniest cultivation CN for me

seabuckthorn and Otwentyfirst like this.
  7. Karyehs

Karyehs Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I mean... his very first steps into the cultivation world were set up as a parody by letting him create the "cultivation liquid" (forgot the name) with a average electric stove and cooking pot instead of a cauldron with a magical flame.

8. Otwentyfirst

Otwentyfirst skillfully clueless // lazy book reader ;)

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't think he's the typical a**hole mc at all. He's honestly pretty decent and down to earth. Tries pretty hard to be a good guy overall and only gets nasty to those that attack first.

9. Eishun

Eishun Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I can't agree with the thread starter's opinions.

As far as I am concerned, Song Shuhang's one of the most decent protagonists I have ever seen. An all-round Mr. Nice Guy.

First of all, regarding the thugs he beat up... They were asking for it. I think the TS was referring to the thugs who approached Su Clan's Sixteen in the early chapters. Well, they were asking for it, right? Since they were all ready to dispense violence on a lone girl, they deserved a thorough beating.

It's not just a Chinese novel thing. If you look at American novel heroes, like Jack Reacher, that's exactly the sort of thing they would have done. Killing or permanently maiming the thugs would have been going overboard, but a simple beat down is acceptable for a hero.

As for the guy who got his mouth punched. He was selling information about Shuhang to suspicious strangers. And as far as Shuhang was concerned, that information could have endangered not just himself, but the lives of his loved ones as well. Yet the shameless information dealer was willing to sell him out for the sake of money.

What else did you expect Shuhang to do? Give the scumbag more money to go away? Look, the guy was selling Shuhang's information for money. Information that could get Shuhang AND his family members killed. So why do you think it's overkill to break his teeth?

Shuhang, as far as I know, is the most helpful and the kindest cultivator in the world of Chinese novels. Too many xiuzhen protagonists are only willing to help those they know or those they have a good relationship with but Shuhang is willing to help even complete strangers.

seabuckthorn likes this.
  10. Gitami

Gitami Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    We could measure their morale by Punisher or Judge Dredd compass. Jwalking may get you punched by Punisher, or one year iso-cube by Dredd.
    Anything beyond that is death by Punisher and years of iso-cube.

11. Soren59

Soren59 MTL Shill

Reading List:
    Link
    I've seen some CN protagonists do a lot of asshole shit, but that's where you draw the line, really? Beating up a bunch of thugs and a guy who could've gotten him killed?

seabuckthorn likes this.
  12. odernatter

odernatter Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Polish people don't eat dogs. Dog's fat was used for some traditional medicine and witchcraft, tho.
    Russian of european descent also don't. I'm not sure about native siberian and steppe people in Russia, some of them do iirc.

13. tides

tides Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    oh so if i only eat the fat and not the meat, its considered not eating the dog?

14. Anra7777

Anra7777 All powerful magic grammar hamster queen pirate.

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, a lot of people eat Jello without considering that they’re eating gelatin, a product made out of animals. If you eat Jello, are you being a meat eater? (In my opinion, “yes” and “no” are both valid answers.)

15. Manah

Manah Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Can you make your gelatin without killing anything ? Probably not, so you shouldn't waster the meat either.

tides likes this.
  16. odernatter

odernatter Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    We don't eat it. Like I said it used in some kind of ancient magic and medicine, which most people know nothing about, but not as food. Moreover last famous dog-eating in polish history was in XV century, was when polish soldiers occupied Moscov and were besieged by russian rebels. After they eat their horses, they started eating theirs dogs and that was the last step before the caniballism. Conquering Russia don't seem like a reasonable idea.
    To the point, Europeans don't eat dogs, becouse is a taboo in our culture.

17. tides

tides Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    yesyes im sure you guys just do liposuction on the dogs