Discussion Sword Waving Wizards

Discussion in 'Novel Discussion' started by Soneka, Oct 21, 2018.

1. Soneka

Soneka Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    First, let's agree to to NOT write any spoilers here please. I think it's okay if we all just write about elements of novels without citing names or something relative to the plot.

So, there's something that has been bugging me for a while now: CN novels sword arts :hmm:

Like, I've never really paid much attention to this stuff, usually, when I read something I just try to imagine something cool, I don't put much thought if the magic stuff makes sense, because you know... It's magic.

But it kinda happened to me. I'm talking about one of those situations in which you see something and you just can't unsee anymore.

You see, I love Chinese novels, I've had a lot of fun with xuanhuans, and I love sword arts just as much as the next guy, but I think we can all agree that some sword arts don't really have anything to do with swords :blobsweat:

Like I said: I love sword waving wizards, if it's written that waving your sword makes fire or water come out of it, that's cool. Lightning? That's amazing. Poison? I'm fine with that too!

It's just that recently I saw something that it's hard to get off my head: I've saw a sword art that makes people age...

Now, do something for me: Think about a sword art that has something to do with poison. Does that make sense? I guess it does right? A poisoned weapon is something easy to understand.

Water sword art? Well, water is seen as something flexible, so I guess you can make your sword art mimic that, also a high-pressure jet of water can cut stuff too.

Fire and lightning? Well, friction I suppose.

But if you are trying to make someone age, then maybe a magic wand should be the only thing you would be waving around?

TL;DR: Anyway, I just want to ask if you guys ever saw a sword art in a novel with an effect completely unrelated to sword-like stuff. Like, I don't know, a sword art that heals(That Zanpakutou from bleach doesn't count).

I guess I must have seen something like that before, but it must have gone over my head. I'm just curious to know if there's more.

2. Basara

Basara [Cat and co.] [Nyan] [Furry and Fluffy]

Reading List:
    Link
    At that point, isn't that more related to the dao of time combined with the dao of sword?

3. Fahmfir

Fahmfir Beginner Town NPC

Reading List:
    Link
    I dont know about sword art
    But i know a Metal Bat that healing the one being struck

juniorjawz, Soneka and sekach like this.
  4. Soneka

Soneka Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    B-But it's a sword art... I mean, how studying a sword would help you figure out how to make someone age?

5. Robbini

Robbini Logical? Illogical? Random? Or Just Unique?

Reading List:
    Link
    The sword art is related to life force / vitality / drain life attacks.

When people lose vitality, they age quicker.

6. PotatoZero

PotatoZero Well-known Potato

Reading List:
    Link
    Are you sure that it is actually a sword art and not a dao art implemented with the help of a sword?

7. Soneka

Soneka Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    In the novel I saw it, it was related to the dao of time, but it wasn't about making things slower, or making your sword faster, it just made people age, I just think it's weird that this was a sword art :hmm:

8. Soneka

Soneka Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It was a sword art, and using a specific sword(I think there was 2 swords that boosted the art) made the technique stronger.

9. PotatoZero

PotatoZero Well-known Potato

Reading List:
    Link
    Just to be sure, you do know the differences between those two, yes?

10. AIm21

AIm21 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    They cut the time of a person lifespan who has been slice with that sword art and if a person has part of their lifespan cut how could they not age? How was this hard to understand?

11. grish99

grish99 [Pelican Hater] [Hater of Face-Slapping]

Reading List:
    Link
    there are 4 ways to explain this
    1:translator did a bad job and wrongly translate
    2:you missread or missunderstand something
    3:sword art=using qi with the help of the sword
    4:autor doesnt care

Soneka likes this.
  12. Soneka

Soneka Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I commend your imagination. But when you read the fight it looks more like a spell, tho.
    I just don't know why did you have to imply I am dumb? I'm not sure when did I write something that warranted this.

13. AIm21

AIm21 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh, that was just a joke on the last part, sorry if you took it like I was implying you were dumb. I was making fun of the author with that last question.

Soneka likes this.
  14. Soneka

Soneka Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't think the translator did a bad job. About 3, in the novel they don't call it sword art, they call it a scripture, like you cultivate the sword scripture and you are able to do those cool things, I'm calling a sword art for convenience, sort of :blobsweat:

15. Robbini

Robbini Logical? Illogical? Random? Or Just Unique?

Reading List:
    Link
    Is it a permanent change after used or temporary to weaken the target to kill them and then it's released?