Discussion Lifeblood Oath/Soulbinding Conundrum

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by CaptainToast, Oct 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EienMugetsuTensho

EienMugetsuTensho [Avid Reader] [C#, C++, Python Programmer]

Reading List:
    Link
    There are a lot of contracts in https://www.novelupdates.com/series/the-experimental-log-of-the-crazy-lich

God of Law also becomes God of Contracts. Contracts are still ridiculous if loopholes are not covered. MC does force someone stronger into being a pet using a pet contract. System even says they are looking for ways within the contract to kill him.

ISSTH
    MC inherits an oath with patriarch reliance, reliance cannot hurt him but as long as he pretends to help if MC dies he won't be hurt by oath.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2018
  2. Cosmic_

Cosmic_ [Novel Addict] [Lazy Writer] [Meh Editor]

Reading List:
    Link
  3. Elkon

Elkon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  4. Karyehs

Karyehs Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I know this is kinda off-topic, but I wonder if the author of the novel ever stopped infodumping for the first half of a chapter? I remember enjoying that novel, till the infodumping got so annoying that I dropped it, shortly after he created the religion and went to the surface and met a prince/descendent of his country or something... just to babble useless stuff about everything about him and his sister for 1-2 long ass chapters.

Just wondering...

@ontopic: You think THIS is a plothole of cultivation/magic novels? Really? Do you know how long it would take to meet every single human to soulbind/contract them? And do you know how many women have had a round of *breeding* shortly before they got soulbound? So the Soulbinder would walk another round one year later again.... and the next one plus every year after, if the soulbinding isn't hereditary...

It's super weird that a random oath can verify "The Truth(TM)" easily, but for some reason nobody ever does it when it counts. Stuff like this is also mostly used in novels where people lie about the MC doing some stuff for dozens/hundreds of chapters... When everything it would take is one magical oath.

5. EienMugetsuTensho

EienMugetsuTensho [Avid Reader] [C#, C++, Python Programmer]

Reading List:
    Link
    There are still info dumps about random stuff but it doesn't bother me.

That really annoys me too when the oath is never used to verify the truth. I think MGA was like the only place I saw it used like that but only once.

Karyehs likes this.
  6. Halicia

Halicia Member

Reading List:
    Link
    To be fair, the vassals go to the king to kiss the ring, not the other way around. Any sufficiently powerful autocratic society would have people making a pilgrimage at their age of majority to kiss the ring... most likely through an intermediary, since as you've rightfully pointed out, it would take a !@#$ton of time out of someone's day to have everyone pledging their soul to a single person.

But as to the argument against a single ruler ? Power creates envy and rivals. Every contract has loopholes, and if people hate you enough, they will die to see their friends & family free of you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.