Novel 7 Years of Hope

Discussion in 'Community Fictions' started by Ai chan, Aug 16, 2018.

1. Ai chan

Ai chan Queen of Yuri, Devourer of Traps, Thrusted Witch

Reading List:
    Link
    As some of you may know, Ai-chan is making three visual novels. Ai-chan doesn't work on them eksclusively, but swaps them whenever Ai-chan feel the motivation to do them. Maybe Ai-chan should start a patreon to get motivation. This is one of the visual novels Ai-chan is making, presented in novel/serial form to build up hype as the visual novel will be taking way too long and Ai-chan has become tired of mapping all the nodes. If you want to play the visual novel, then please motivate Ai-chan so that it can be completed. Even if you don't want to support Ai-chan monetarily, your comments would be motivation for Ai-chan.

Synopsis: Selenia is the Priestess of the Holy Song, the last survivor of the destroyed Order of the Starsilver. During the final battle against the forces of Halleb, the Caretaker of the Dead, she was suddenly sent back in time seven years in the past, during the time when peace was cheap and lives were flourishing. Yet for Selenia, there is no peace or happiness, for she knew what will happen seven years later and she will prevent that at all cost.

Genre: Action, Adventure, Fantasy, Tragedy, Time Travel

Table of Contents

Last edited: Oct 25, 2018
  2. Ai chan

Reading List:
    Link
    Prologue. Click on the spoiler to read the story.

A boy walks along a rough, dark tunnel. With no light to show his way, all he can do is walk carefully, holding the walls for guidance, and sometimes crawling to feel the ground beneath his feet. Twice had he fallen to holes too dark for him to see. Twice he had fallen farther beneath the surface.

The chaos of battle above when he fell is now a distant memory. How long had he walked underneath the earth? How long ago did he fell? Is the battle over? He can't know for sure. Under the earth, in the darkness with no source of light, it is impossible for one to tell the time. In the darkness, even the counting of seconds become difficult. How long is a second? How long should he wait before one second is complete? Does a single step take a second, or does it take two?

For all he knew, the battle above could've been over.

For all he knew, the world had ended.

For all he knew, he was probably the last life in this world.

Yet, his feet keeps moving. Why is he still walking, he wonders. Perhaps he still has hopes. Perhaps he believes he can still find a way up to the surface.

Or perhaps, he simply has to walk.

Perhaps, stopping will end everything.

Is there any hope?

As he walks, he yells into the darkness, no longer caring who or what can hear him, "Oi you gods of the world. You who allowed this to happen! What purpose do we worship you all our lives if you can't even stop one of your own from destroying our world? You bastards who took our worship for granted. Where are you now?!"

He falls to his knees, his tears no longer can be stopped, nor does he wants to stop it. He has lost all strength. What purpose does he has now?

When he fell into the hole, the allied armies were already in full rout. Despite the order to hold the line, despite knowing that they are the last hope of all who lives, despite how many thousands lost their lives creating the power stones with which to charge their grand spells, the army fled. The last hope, the final defensive line on which all the wishes of living beings rested upon was no more.

He tried to deny it at first, but deep inside him, he knew even then that there was no longer any hope. He doesn't even know if he is still alive. Perhaps this is his Hell, to forever walk in this darkness for not being there to stand beside his mistress, the Priestess of the Holy Song, Selenia the Saint of Starsilver.

"Gods! Answer me! Punish if you wish! My mistress! Save my mistress!"

He closes his eyes, his eyes flowing with tears and his nose blocked with snot. Regardless, he kneels in the position of worship, and asks the gods with as clear a voice he can. In his mind, this is perhaps his last prayer.

"You gods! If any of you are still listening. Listen to my voice! Punish me if you wish. Burn me in fire. Bury me in this tunnel. Drown me a thousand times if it will be enough. Exchange my suffering for my mistress's life. I beg you. If a thousand times is not enough, drown me a million times. She deserves a chance. Our mistakes, let it not be her burden!"

The moment he speaks the last words, he feels a bright light shining through his pupils. He opens his eyes and quickly closes his eyes again. For he was walking in the darkness for who knows how long, his eyes are completely blinded by the light. Yet it is for naught. He can no longer see, for mortals who see the bright light of this presence will be forever blinded by its brilliance.

"Child, what is it you desire?" A voice echoes inside the light.

"What - who are you?" the boy asks.

"The gods of your world call us The Anchor of the World. Of any human names, we know not. You may call us the same."

"Gods? Are you a god?"

"God... we are not aware of being called this. We do not exist in the same plane as the gods of your existence. We are merely The Anchor, who watch everything that ever was, is and will."

"Can you bring me up to the surface?"

"We can, it is easier than building the stars. But is that what you wish? Do you wish to return to the surface?"

"No..." the boy clenches his fists, recalling his powerlessness in the last battle, "I wish to be of use to my mistress, but I did my best... and I still fell short."

"We understand. Mere mortals cannot stand against such might."

"But the gods. If the gods will help, won't it be possible to win? After all, Halleb is only one woman even if she is a goddess. Surely the combined might of all the gods can easily defeat her."

"That is no longer possible. Your gods are no longer in your world."

"What? Where did they go?"

"To the place where dead gods go, a place not even we are privy of."

"Dead? The gods... dead? What... I... how..."

The boy breaks down in a babble of senseless words, unable to form even one coherent sentence. Too many thoughts flood his mind. Too many that he can't even decide which should go first.

"Child, we are aware this may be hard for you to swallow. In place of your gods, we shall give you one last assistance. Speak, what is your wish, child?"

"I-I wish for the gods to be revived!"

"That is impossible. You cannot pay the price."

"Price?"

"Of course, everything has a price. You know this, no?"

"Then... give us victory over the forces of doom."

"Victory at this point requires a miracle. It is a miracle that you cannot pay."

"Then, take my life, take my body, take my soul, take everything of me. Just save my mistress, for she is our final hope."

"If hope is all you wish for, then step forward and touch the light. Hope is all that we can give you."

The boy gets back on unsteady feet. He stumbles in the darkness of his sight, unaware that his eyes were already burned black in its socket. Despite the darkness in his sight, he takes one weak step after another, guided by the warmth of the light that touches his skin.

After he has taken twenty steps forward, he reaches forward with both his hands. He doesn't know why he feels as if he has arrived, but he has. His faith is rewarded when he feels something solid, yet he can no longer feel the flames that burn away his clothes, his skin and even his flesh. For he has touched a power beyond comprehension, that his mortal shell can not withstand its greatness. Without pain or suffering, his body, his soul, the entire existence that makes up the boy are undone. To the world, he never existed.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2018
    animanaicT likes this.
  3. Omnicast

Omnicast Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Good luck and have fun! :blob_pompom:

Ai chan likes this.
  4. insyder1201

insyder1201 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Is this the same one you posted about half a year ago?

5. Stealth

Stealth Elegant Lady

Reading List:
    Link
    i can only cheer you up...
    do your best @Ai chan , when u completed the work i will let you do my gf

6. Ai chan

Reading List:
    Link
    Not sure, are you talking about the brother sister royal incest story? If so, this is not the same story. But Ai-chan has indeed talked about this story before, it's just that it's only been like 3-4 months since this story start being written, before that, Ai-chan only planned the story.

Thanks lol

7. reagents 11

reagents 11 disaster personified

Reading List:
    Link
    Any mind providing the work with voice acting ? These guys can be volunteers maybe ?

Ai chan likes this.
  8. Wick

Wick Black van owner

Reading List:
    Link
    It's interesting to bad there no romance. Lol
    Well good job @Ai chan

Ai chan likes this.
  9. Ai chan

Reading List:
    Link
    Voice acting? Haven't thought that far yet. Maybe if Ai-chan can finish the visual novel, we can think about voice acting.

Thank you. She is planned to have several romance options, but for the sake of the promo novel, it's probably not going to be prominent enough. I might as well just post the second prologue now. Please come back in a few minutes.

10. Ai chan

Reading List:
    Link
    Prologue 2. Please click on the spoiler to read the story.

On the surface, the forces of General Uleb, The Kin of Champions are pressed to its last man by the rampaging forces of Airu The Plague Bearer. Knowing no other path of retreat, General Uleb raises his hammer, Heaven's Boulder, that stands the height of a grown man and slams it against the ground. The ground cracks, creating a wide rift that separates the armies of the allied nations and the plague monsters.

It is unfortunate that he is on the side with the plague monsters, for he could not control how the cracks would form. He could not foresee what would happen in the future. Yet he stands firm.

A man against many, his blows throwing monsters twice his height to the sky. His hammer smashes the skulls and bones of the plague monsters to mush. Blood of the plague monsters falls on his face, burning him with their acidic blood. Yet he stands firm before the thousands of plague beasts, each the match of a hundred men.

Alas, not even he can stand against so many. For he is only one man. A single man who bought the allied armies precious time to retreat and reorganize at what would be the last line of the defense just outside the city of Gralnika.

It is the same on the high grounds of the mountain pass. While the long-eared soldiers of the Lost Woods stand their ground better than the others, they are about to face their greatest adversary. The black dragons, long thought to have died off, appeared at the battlefield right after the sun reach midday. Despite the power of their long bows made of the sacred oaks nurtured until a spirit resided inside them, they were no match for the scalding breaths of the black dragons.

As the flames with the heat and substance of volcanic magma burn their soldiers, the venerable soldiers of the Lost Woods routed. These legendary beings thought to be mere myths passed down from parents to children, lost their will to fight against the unstoppable might of the black dragon flight. None of them were alive during the battle that saw the annihilation of the black dragons a millenia ago, as all those who fought died during the battle or during the march home. What they knew of the black dragons prowess were second hand stories passed down to the folks who went to look for the survivors before being passed down to the rest.

How did our ancestors defeated them at the height of their power? That same thought plays in each of their minds. Despite their pride of being the most powerful warriors in the world, they now understand that it was mere arrogance. Facing a true foe, their power was found wanting.

Yet one among them stands firm, slapping the banner bearers and trumpeteers to their senses, she urges them to their feet. Sounding the rallying call for perhaps the final time, Grand Commander Restini stands firm. Her armour broken, her helm missing and her body suffering numerous still bloody wounds, she raises the legendary spear Hal'geris in the air with one good hand and charges alone.

She knows her army's morale is at its lowest point, yet she is unwilling to give up. She realizes that she can no longer urge her army to fight, not with the powerful black dragons as the enemy's vanguard. But she must fight, for this must not be the end. She swore to live and die with Selenia, so how can she run away now and allow Selenia to fight alone?

"Great ancestors, I am Restini, daughter of Sayol and Ileas, descendant of Aharis, who fought the black dragons at the valley of death. Grant me the strength with which my ancestor slew the foul black dragons. Take my blood and give me the strength to annihilate them again!"

Restini can feel the ancestors answering her call. Her power surges, her wounds close and her broken right arm heals itself. The ancestors have given her wish, to turn her blood into pure power. The same power that the long ears once relied on in the same battle thousands of years before.

She jumps ahead at the face of a vile black dragon. Without hesitation, the black dragons together pour forth a torrent of fire and magma at Restini. As Restini is still in the air, she has no way to avoid the rush of fire and magma. Thus she calls the spirits for help, "Spirits of air, I beg for wings!"

Mere seconds before the flames devour her, she appears above the torrent of flames, seemingly lifted up by the very winds itself. Concentrating her wild magic into the spear, she makes a wide slash downwards towards the three black dragons that released their breaths at her just a moment before. The force of the slash makes a blade of wind and magic, carving deep into the backs of the dragons, cutting their tough bodies into twos.

Seeing her resolve, the other soldiers of the Lost Woods turn back toward the dragons. Firming their hold against their spears, swords and bows, they take a step forward. And then they take another step. And another. Until in the end it becomes a charge.

"Great ancestors, I, Murle son of Yum and Sarla offer my blood, my life. Grant me the power to fight besides my lord."

"Great ancestors, Arin of Ayn and Mare pays my respect. Give me the power to defeat our ancient enemies, no matter what the cost."

"Great ancestors, great spirits, I am Felmor. Take my everything, let me fight again for the last time!"

Great ancestors, grant this child your blessing. Let our blood never be remembered as the blood of cowards."

And so they fight again. Not with weapons made by mortal hands, but with weapons made of blood and nature. Their own bodies become the weapons by which they cut and stab hundreds of black dragons. What was once a hopeless fight has become a fair battle, with thousands of long ears fighting together to defeat hundreds of their ancient enemies, the black dragons.

Yet still, they fail. The power received by exchanging their blood was a temporary and final measure. Had it only been a couple hundred black dragons, they might've won. But they were too many. As the long ears skin pales and their movements stiffen, one by one they are ripped apart by the black dragons' claws or burned to cinders with their magma breath.

As for Restini, she already fell long before the first of the other long ears start to fall. With her last breath, she could only say, "I go first, Selenia."

Last edited: Aug 17, 2018
  11. Wick

Wick Black van owner

Reading List:
    Link
    Ai chan likes this.
  12. Ai chan

Reading List:
    Link
    Prologue, click on the spoiler to read.

"Hold the line!" General Falrus, the grand commander of all allied armies bellows his orders. His voice loud and powerful, enhanced with his personal charisma and command magic, that even the front line troops two miles in front of him can hear him clearly.

"Hold the line! You are humanity's last line of defence. Do not falter. We must delay them here! Now!"

Knowing that the grand commander is still watching, the soldiers toughen their resolve. Despite the increasing casualty, they stand firm. To some, it is for their families, who are being transported through a magical portal to gods know where, far in the west. To some, it is a matter of national pride, for they will not admit that their nation is weaker than mere monsters. To some, it is their belief that their commanders will stand with them through thick and thin. To some, it is their faith that the Priestess of the Holy Song will be able to sway the gods to join their fight.

For those who fight for their families, they fight only to buy time for the Twelve Heavenly Maidens. For these maidens are the only help granted by the gods. These maidens, blessed by the gods and ordained by the Saint of Starsilver are the only ones left who can protect their families and loved ones.

Grexia the Sailor, may she forever guides sailors and merchants.
    Illumia of the Dawn, may she protect our children and birth.
    Allyn Who Persevere, who rewards hard work and blesses diligence.
    Miol The Shield, may our homes forever protected.
    Amarita of Desire, who blesses those who pursue their goals.
    Unar Who Is Passionate, who blesses families to be fruitful.
    Lenya Who Entertains, may she give hope to those without.
    Nuei the Guide of Souls, may she bring the dead to eternal peace.
    Maika Who Crafts, may she guide their prosperity.
    Irua The Guard, may she forever protect their lives.
    Nila of the Dusk, may she protect their souls.
    Ya of Abundance, may she feed them always.

As for the rest, their only hope was that they would not fight alone. For this is the last hour of all who live and it is this last hour that they must fight, even to the last blood. Doom has come to their world, and they would fight so that those they were protecting could prosper, or die doing their best. To these men and women, they knew they would die today, and they would fight their hardest to bring down as many of the enemy as possible and buy as much time that their lives can exchange.

"Your excellency, how is it? Will the gods offer assistance?" General Falrus asks Selenia, the Priestess of the Holy Song.

She is dancing following the tune of the Staff of Melodies, in a ritual meant to summon the gods to appear in their physical form into this world. However, it has not worked. With every dance, her moves become increasingly erratic, her feelings increasingly desperate. Finally, her stamina gone, she falls to the blighted ground, its grass long consumed by the taint of the demons, plague monsters and undead that press against their combined armies.

"Your excellency, please, will the gods help us? It is now or never. Look, our front lines are already massacred. It is only a matter of time before they break through our rear defensive line as well. We cannot hold the ground!"

Without looking up at the general, Selenia mutters in a voice so soft it can barely be heard over the chaos. "... silent."

"What?" the general asks as he kneels on leg beside Selenia.

"The gods... THEY ARE SILENT!" Selenia cries aloud. If her voice does not betray her despair, her tears certainly does. For a priestess most favoured by the gods are no longer able to hear the gods, it can only mean one thing.

"What? The gods are silent?" A nearby officer asks.

"The gods are silent?" These words spread like wildfire among the ranking officers.

"Are we now truly alone?" This sentiment grows with every word spoken.

These thoughts finally becomes the breaking point for the allied army. As word spread that the gods no longer respond to the dances of the Saint of Starsilver, the hopelessness of the situation sets in. Before, although they didn't truly count on the gods to turn their fates around, they were comfortable with the hope that perhaps, the gods will lend a hand. Now that they know with certainty that the gods will not do so, the resolve in their hearts waver. As more of their fellow soldiers fall by their sides, the fear that took root in their hearts when they saw the mass of foul beings that covered the terrain becomes increasingly stronger.

"No! Stop running! We are the last line of defense! Stay your ground!" General Falrus cries his commands to deaf ears.

Despite his usual polite demeanor, he grabs Selenia's hand, still weak from the despair of being abandoned and throws her body to the single remaining officer by his side, The Duke of Marlis, and ordered him to take her away through the portal. A single bow of respect, the last of its kind is given by the duke before he puts Selenia on his horse and runs away.

As he looks at the protesting form of the priestess, he says to himself, so quietly that nobody can hear, "The gods may have abandoned us in this world, but perhaps the gods of this new world will still listen to your songs, Your Excellency. You are our last hope."

Then he looks up at the sky, raises his broadsword up high and yells aloud, "You gods who reign above, this is my final prayer. Let my life be the payment for hers. Protect her as you have protected her before. My life, I offer it to you."

And so General Falrus, first of the allied armies, the hero of Canrad Pass, charges into his final battle with the misguided hope that he alone can delay the approaching mass

13. Ai chan

Reading List:
    Link
    Chapter 1, click on the spoiler to read.

"Sister Selenia! Sister Selenia!"

The loud voice in my ears along with the shaking of my shoulders wake me from the fog in my mind. As I open my eyes, a soft blue light enters my eyes reminding me of what we once lost. It is a familiar light, one I've seen probably a thousand times, even tens of thousands of times. It is the light of the Holy Starsilver, spinning slowly above the magical altar made by the now extinct azure mountain people.

"What - where..." I look around the room, recognizing a chamber that I haven't seen for years.

It is a chamber that I haven't entered for at least six years. This chamber shouldn't exist anymore. Six years ago, this place was attacked and ransacked by the demons of fire and the demons of blades that killed all the priestesses and burned the entire temple complex down. Even the Holy Starsilver that had adorned this chamber for the past 600 years was taken away to gods know where. Only a handful of priestesses and Knights of the Holy Starsilver survived the sudden attack. I was one of those who survived and had to escape alone.

The sister breathes a sigh of relief. "I'm so glad you are awake. You suddenly lost consciousness during dawn worship. Are you alright?"

"Sister Eryes?" I ask in disbelief. Sister Eryes was one of those who sat in worship during the attack on the Hall of Stellar Radiance. She should be the first to die. How can she still be alive?

"Yes, Sister Selenia. Greetings of dawn. If you are feeling unwell, you should've told me. It is not good to pray with an ill body."

"No... no, I am fine. Is this a dream?"

"A dream?" Sister Elyes seems to fall into deep thought before she hit the palm of her left hand with her other fist, "Indeed! Life is a dream. A dream that speaks of our worth before the stars. I have finally found the answer!"

"Uh? What?"

Sister Elyes falls to her knees facing the giant crystal of the Holy Starsilver. She closes her eyes, clasps her hands at her chest and says, "Oh Radiance of the Night, I thank thee for thine guidance. Please continue to guide this humble self forever more, until this dream ends and this humble self returns to the stars."

A door behind me opens. "Sister, I heard you collapsed. What happened? Are you alright?"

It is the voice of someone who shouldn't exist anymore. It is the voice of someone I have missed so very much. Someone who should already be dead, long, long ago.

"Kal-Kaldar?" I turn around, looking at the face that I haven't seen for six long years.

"Yes, it is me. Is something wrong, sister?" Kaldar answers as he gets on his knees with a face full of worry.

"Kaldar!" I call his name as I stand before him with a jump and a run that crosses the distance in seconds.

Caught off guard by my sudden move, he instinctively opens his arms, allowing me to jump into his embrace. His body covered in chain mail is hard and cold, but this... knowing that behind it Kaldar still breathes and his blood still courses through his veins, is such a great comfort that my tears can no longer be stopped.

"Kaldar! Kaldar!"

This Kaldar who followed me when I was chosen as a trainee priestess of the Holy Starsilver. This Kaldar who said he would protect me from the mean senior priestesses. This Kaldar who pledged he would protect my chastity and purity. This Kaldar who swore that he would be my knight once he passed the selection ceremony for the Knights of Starsilver. This Kaldar who trained alone in the woods, fighting wolves, imps and kobolds from the age of 5 to the day he turned 13. This Kaldar who did everything for my good and supported me throughout my whole life. This Kaldar who I remember more than my own parents.

This Kaldar who swore to protect me for as long as I live.

This Kaldar... who said he would protect me, but he lied. He swore to be my shield, promised to be my sword for as long as I lived, but he lied. His promises were empty. His vows were unfulfilled.

Despite swearing to be my knight, he perished right after swearing the oath. With his own strength, nurtured for years in the wilderness, he alone took me out of the burning temple complex into the hidden path under the Hall of Repentance. He alone fought off the pursuing demons of blades, dozens of them, against his single might. Yet he did not complain, he did not tire. He simply fought them one after another. And in the end, he sent me off with a smile as his broken body spilled its lifeblood on the ground.

Kaldar, what was the use of saving me, if you're not there to walk with me? What was the use of saving me, if you perish soon after? What was the use of saving me, this useless me, if you die in my stead? Why was I the one alive? I who was useless, and always useless. It was you who should live. You who were called The Shield of the Stars.

Had it been you, instead of me, Entou would not have fallen in vain. Had it been you, Erle would not have died that day. Had it been you... if it was you... if only you were still alive...

"Kaldar! Kaldar! Kaldar!" There is no other word to say. My mind can no longer form any words. Kaldar is alive.

Kaldar is alive! The feeling of helplessness when Kaldar gave his life for me. The regret of not being able to do anything when Kaldar could only smile to sooth my heart despite the pain in his body. The despair of seeing him hacked into pieces and beheaded by the blade demons. The feeling of being unworthy of such a sacrifice. It is now undone. If this is a dream, this is a wonderful dream.

Now Kaldar is alive again! That is all that matters!

Kaldar is alive!

14. Immovable87

Immovable87 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  15. Causal Reader

Causal Reader Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Story looks good! Post me on the conversation line will be watching for your reply.