Question What are some cliches or things that Arthur's do in their books that you dislike?

Discussion in 'Novel Discussion' started by Omnipotent Ape God, Oct 19, 2018.

1. kennykdogg

kennykdogg Sage of 7 sins

Reading List:
    Link
    yeah that got me off reincarnated as animal novel because they go around training by killing animals but a human try to kill them they start shaking in fear and when push to kill they will pay their respect to dead.

2. Vincent1873

Vincent1873 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Reincarnation is usually to set the stage for the character's personality or skills in my opinion. Either one is legit to me.

I get annoyed when the author randomly introduces a love interest within the first few chapters of a story starting. Basically they'll be introduced as soon as the author as can find a reason to do so.

Littlegirl78 likes this.
  3. sidiusn

sidiusn Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    dont mind Reincarnation... but when past life dont means shit.. and MC is a pussy( japanese nosebleed shit).. when near a female even after 10k+ years it irks me

4. Omnipotent Ape God

Omnipotent Ape God Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes

5. Omnipotent Ape God

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes I am a hater and I'm going to hate with pride

leegood and Littlegirl78 like this.
  6. Omnipotent Ape God

Reading List:
    Link
    I hate it when they go into excessive details about a beautiful girl. Like bro they could have just said she was good-looking probably just tell us her hair color and eye color that would have been enough but no they just have to go and tell us all about this chicks figure like she's going to come to life in my room if I imagined it correctly.

7. Omnipotent Ape God

Reading List:
    Link
    I also hate the main character's friends. They never feel like real friends. They're just like friends from anime just there to be there they will never progress with the main character. Sometime they act more like servants then friends. And it just annoys me that they are there. they have no impact or relevance to the story so in my opinion they should just get the F*uk out

Last edited: Oct 20, 2018
  8. Omnipotent Ape God

Reading List:
    Link
    Well to me it's not legit. I understand that the author is doing it so in the new world the mc skills could be put to use but that's no excuse for their personality to just disappear. What I'm mostly talking about is when the mc meet the original bodies family and friends. Somehow the mc act exactly like the original bodies soul and they don't notice the difference. The reason this annoys me is that The Reincarnation was for no reason then. The author should have just started the story off with the original soul learning the skills that the author made the reincarnated person have.

9. Vincent1873

Reading List:
    Link
    It sounds like a different situation than what I mentioned. The MC having the exact same personality is its own situation. That being said the family and friends not noticing the difference doesn't mean their personalities are the same. They often notice that he's acting differently but then write it off as a personality change. What stories are there that specifically say that the MC's personality is exactly the same as the personality of the person he replaces?

Littlegirl78 likes this.
  10. Omnipotent Ape God

Reading List:
    Link
    From the books I have read, on occasions they would make the original body have a accident and then they would write it off as a personality change which in my opinion is a reasonable way to set the foundation so the main character can keep there personality. But most of the time the MC would take over the body and mimic the original owners personality. And the reason why I say that the MC is mimicking their personality is that no one ever mentions it. Like seriously what family members if they cared about the person wouldn't notice any changes and mention it to the MC thinking that there was a problem that they were going through. That would make it more believable and it would have shown that the MC is not doing a good job acting like the original person.

Ophis_Trihexa and Littlegirl78 like this.
  11. Vincent1873

Reading List:
    Link
    Exactly. There's often some sort of situation involved that gives a reason for a personality change. It's very rare that nobody notices that they're acting differently in a reincarnation story.

Littlegirl78 likes this.
  12. Littlegirl78

Littlegirl78 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I hate when MC seen as a amazing person over something he/she didn't do

13. davidoon

davidoon New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    A lot of useless talks!

Ophis_Trihexa likes this.
  14. Mahou-nii-sama

Mahou-nii-sama Ultimate Cannon Fodder

Reading List:
    Link
    When MC reincarnates and becomes fucking Google; motherfucker knows how to make a modern tool from scratch and knows the most obscure random shit from history and it just happens that it's needed. Really?

Last edited: Nov 1, 2022
    Elkon, Omnipotent Ape God and kkgoh like this.
  15. GabeZhul

GabeZhul Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I really grew to hate the "Fantasy Kitchen Sink" method of worldbuilding some authors use. It's when gods and beings of Earth's mythology are being thrown into a fantasy world without any rhyme or reason. The worst offender is this regard was The Book Eating Magician, where we had a setting that somehow simultaneously had Hermes, Demeter, Surtr, Ymir, the World Tree, elves, Abe no Seimei, Fafnir, the concept of the Seven Sins, Paracelsus and freakin turban-toting, scimitar-swingin janissaries following a honest to goodness sultan in the same setting.

Omnipotent Ape God likes this.
  16. YOYO

YOYO New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Word count

17. NGCleric

NGCleric Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't see it often, but never liked the "thing that is suppose to be good does nothing good while the evil creature is obviously helping" stories. Also was never a fan of the point-less tragedy. "This character that people like died because I wanted this character to die." - some author.
    I know death can add a lot to a story when done well. The problem is when it isn't and ends up just being really stupid.

Omnipotent Ape God likes this.
  18. MaDuck

MaDuck Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Now that I've have time to think about it. I think I heavily dislike in reincarnation / to another world novels that the MC must get a stupid or OP power, just to make his time on the new world to become a leisure stroll.

And I think, at least, that on regular basis that for a villain to be evil just for the sake of being evil is also a big no no.

Tbh. There really aren't cliches that turn people off, only cliches that are terribly written.

So let's stick to correct grammar.

19. kkgoh

kkgoh Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Link to another thread that covered something similar.
    https://forum.novelupdates.com/threads/plot-development-that-make-you-drop-a-novel.74463/

Since you're asking about what the author "intentionally" created for a novel, here's my more relevant responses:
    (1) NTR/Gratuitous rape
    (2) Pedophilia
    (3) Hypocrisy (esp for novels with villainous MCs, for some reason authors think this is cool)

And yea, please update the title from "Arthur's" to "authors" o_O

Ophis_Trihexa likes this.
  20. kkgoh

kkgoh Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think that generation of weak personality MCs have disappeared. At least I don't see new ones coming up. Authors might have realized their mistake ... or maybe because I've stopped reading most Jap novels.

There does seem to be an increasing trend for more "effeminate" (but technically still strong) MCs though.
    - Tensei shitara Slime (that weird Slime/androgynous MC)
    - Novel's Extra (MC gains ability to sing and be popular)
    - Pretty much every MC now described as a pretty boy o_O
    Here's an interesting article covering the debate in China.
    https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsa...-sissies-vs-macho-men-in-china-s-social-media