News Jin Yong Passed Away Today

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by autumnscarf, Oct 30, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Considering that he's barely been translated into English, this isn't a surprise. Likewise, if you don't read mystery novels, there's a decent chance you'd have no idea who Agatha Christie is even though she's basically the final boss when it comes to novelists. However, even just going by aggregate numbers, there are few writers who can rival Jin Yong's popularity. And of these, even fewer are nearly as influential. In fact, it's quite possible, maybe even likely, that he's the overall most influential writer of the Twentieth Century.

The comparison seems apt on the face of things, but on deeper examination, it's not adequate. For how big a deal that high fantasy seems to be, there are tons of fantasy sub-genres that have nothing to do with it. And even within high fantasy works, Tolkien isn't even the biggest direct influence; Dungeons & Dragons is. While you may think that Dungeons & Dragons is just a game implementation of Tolkien's works, this isn't really true. The biggest influences on the game are actually the adventure elements from Leiber, the magic system from Vance, and just about everything from Moorcock.

On the flipside, Jin Yong is not only the undisputed face of wuxia (and the descendant genres), but he's also a massive influence in historical novels, romance novels, and even books with political or intrigue themes. Not only that, his books are popular enough that they've made a major impact in the TV and film industries.

I don't really find it strange. That was the period when Jin Yong was trying to experiment, so every book from around then did something different. "Demigods and Semi-Devils" happened to be one that meshes very well into genres that prefer to stick to a single protagonist. Another oddity is that "Heaven Sword and Dragon Saber" is the one that Romance novels seem to draw from the most, and that even though "Legend of the Condor Hero" is the foundational work of modern wuxia, very few books seem to borrow directly from it. The one book which is most directly influential is "the Deer and the Cauldron" even though it's the least representative of Jin Yong's works.

Wujigege likes this.
  2. AardwarkThe2nd

AardwarkThe2nd (R-18 writer) Aardwark, the king of aardvarks!

Reading List:
    Link
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gu_Long

Gu Long died in 1985...

Wujigege likes this.
  3. Someguy666

Someguy666 MILF Sect Leader

Reading List:
    Link
    You can see those System Novels with lottery functions ripping off martial arts from his works. The Sunflower Scripture being the most common "Joke Prize" because of it's first lines.

readerz and Wujigege like this.
  4. Someguy666

Someguy666 MILF Sect Leader

Reading List:
    Link
    There's always a remake of Return of the Condor Heroes in production somewhere, usually as a vehicle to star the latest idol.

Wujigege likes this.
  5. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    Me too but it's either Zhang Wuji or Wei Xiaobao overall for me though

6. null

null Procrastinate Lv MAX

Reading List:
    Link

The Deer and the Cauldron (in three volumes) – published by Oxford University Press, translated by John Minford.
    Guess what ? This got translated on 1997 , way before webnovel boom.

7. Nino Sasou

Nino Sasou 『 ******** 』『 On Paid Leave』

Reading List:
    Link
    My favourite one is Smiling proud wanderer. I think Yue Buqun has great personality as villain and Linghu Chong fate is tragic (framed, dumped, betrayed).

8. readerz

readerz Madam Jin

Reading List:
    Link
    RIP, he lived a full life and accomplished so much. Even the BBC reported it.

One of the worst martial arts manuals ever! (Any man who practices it has to castrate himself.)

9. sweed

sweed l.o.v.e.m.u.f.f.i.n.

Reading List:
    Link
    You fool, clown! Read carefully again:

Clyne said:
    Why you even know this website if you don't know Jin Yong. Basically I grown up watching legend of condor heroes. I already watching at least 3 remake of condor heroes.

The first novels that were translated, put online and in a feed site like this one, were mostly Japanese, Clown.

P.S. I read too much Taboo Tatoo, you Clown!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.