I need someones opinion

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Garcera-Sama, Nov 8, 2018.

Tags:
?

I would like to ask if schools can do that?

1. YES

16 vote(s)
    76.2%
  2. NO

5 vote(s)
    23.8%
  1. Garcera-Sama

Garcera-Sama Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Okay I have 13 classmates 4 of them are graduating students and the rest are the same as me a 4th year student. These classmates got below quota (a grade lesser than 85) in two subjects, all 13 of them got below quota at Auditing Theory and another 9 got below quota at Advanced Accounting 1. Now they made a letter to the dean to open these subjects for the 2nd sem. the reasons are
    1. so that the graduating students can still be able to join their graduation this school year
    2. so that the current 4th year would be able to graduate next year alongside their classmates
    now to elaborate unlike AudTheo that has Auditing Problems that has it as a prerequisite subject AdvAcc affects two subjects that has it as a prerequisite AdvAcc2 and AdvAcc3 for 5th Year. okay so we know that if we cant take AdvAcc now we wont be able to graduate by next year. So we prepared everything the letter the teacher and the schedule. And we also reasoned out that because of the new curriculum (k-12) we of the old curriculum will have to go back and study starting 1st year again, so we would like to ask you're sincere consideration.

BOOM 1 week before classes the Dean told us that during his meeting with the other deans and the management, the president of the school told him that they wouldnt be opening those subject for second sem. They also said that its not the fault of the school and the new curriculum that we failed. And thus it was not approved

So . . . The problem is The school itself does not allow any subjects to be taken during summer. so we cant do that.
    They also will not allow us to cross enroll and take those subjects at another school since it's a major subject. They did not give any consideration and they would not help the students they force us to wait it out or just start over with the new curriculum.

So now we the 13 of us are thinking of reporting this to CHED (Comission of Higher Education) since the school did not want to open the subjects for 2nd sem and they also forbid us to cross enroll and take those failed subjects at another school.

EndBringer likes this.
  2. Lynx

Lynx Professional...on lewd matter

Reading List:
    Link
    Which country you came from? Passing grade is 85? Out of 100? That's brutal...

Mnotia, Zomula, Cosmic_ and 6 others like this.
  3. Garcera-Sama

Reading List:
    Link
    Philippines and thats not the worst part all of us got 84 point something but they didnt round it up

4. yeison

yeison Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Your school must hate students. This is like a movie with a villanous president, dean and teachers, maybe there is a plot hidden here..... Call the fbi a dea asap, you're onto something here...

Mnotia, Meloman, eroxaz and 3 others like this.
  5. Garcera-Sama

Reading List:
    Link
    LOL

6. insania

insania Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It is hard to imagine that you would need to score 85/100 just to pass a subject. In fact, I believe that it is beyond unreasonable to expect any student to attain such an absurdly high grade just to pass a subject. From my experience, the minimum grade needed for a student to pass any subject is merely a 40/100 or 50/100. As such, you have my condolences regarding your plight. Anyway, I also agree that you should report your situation to CHED since it is the best course of action to take in your situation. After all, it is better to do something that might potentially resolve your situation rather than not doing anything and having to restart from year 1 again.

7. Archaic pickle

Archaic pickle Daoist Heavenly Kimichi

Reading List:
    Link
    65?-69 D
    70-79 C
    80-89 B
    90-100 A
    Passing grades

Femme Fatale likes this.
  8. Garcera-Sama

Reading List:
    Link
    HUHUHU I know but were waiting since we sent a letter to the vice president of academic affairs about our situation and we were hoping she could do something to help us

9. joey183

joey183 The Mysterious Entity

Reading List:
    Link
    From what I inferred, it seems like you guys are in university or college? If it's a 3rd-tiered education , then yes the school can do that. Because it is indeed true that you guys kind of failed that paper. So, you'll need to follow on the procedures set by the University. They need to be strict on this in order to show fairness to the rest of your seniors batch who have pass that paper.

NasVersix and Garcera-Sama like this.
  10. Garcera-Sama

Reading List:
    Link
    its a state college and yes we understand that they can do that but what we ask is their consideration since we are the last batch of the old curriculum if we do not graduate we would be forced to either start from 1st year or be forced to take senior highschool since the new curiculum (k-12) which was implemented around 5 years ago I think, has subjects which are vastly different to what we have. So we would study again for another 6 years. All that we ask is that they would open the subjects since we would be the ones to pay for the teachers fee and they only have to approve and do the paperwork. Also if they dont want to do the paper work they can just allow us to cross enroll and take those failed subjects at another school. but sadly they did not allow either of the two.

11. joey183

Reading List:
    Link
    In terms of finance view, your class seems a little too small to bargain. Maybe if you have 30 students or more would have been profitable to the university. To the University, opening a small class in summer means they need to incur extra overhead costs like electricity and the lecturer's pay but the tuition fees for retake subject aren't enough to cover those cost. So, university end up making a loss from that decision. The school board aren't supportive probably because the NAV for opening your said class is negative.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
    MrSplashy likes this.
  12. Garcera-Sama

Reading List:
    Link
    Actually according to the handbook the minimum students required to open the subject is 15 there are 13 of us and also this is a state college in the Philippines, It is not as fancy as a private school with their aircons and large libraries no we have electric fans and a library with outdated books. Also we will be the ones to pay for the teachers fee since originally our tuition was free now we have to pay (The government approved a law where you can go to college for free as long as its a state college) so yeah they don't really need to do it but at least they should reconsider our situation

13. insania

insania Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    From what I heard, different universities have different passing scores for any subject that their students need to take. However, most of them tend to usually require their students to score a minimum of 40/100 or 50/100 to pass any subject. While I had indeed heard of a university that required a 80/100 grade to pass a subject but that is more of an aberrant than then the norm.

Best of luck to you in getting your situation resolved. After all, nobody should ever experience the misfortune of having to restart from year 1 again or worse still have to take an extra year of senior high school just because of absurdly hard passing criteria alongside uncoorperative school management.

Archaic pickle likes this.
  14. joey183

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh wow that's nice. My country don't have free tuition so all poor students took loan for college/uni. Private university are normally more relax on the rules since their profits comes from students so even when they end up with a loss from the decision, they will always try to please the students. It's called investing in intangible assets.

On the other hand, state university are more strict on their rule because they have to account for government intervention/visits etc. Another reason why they follow rules so strictly is because they are completely dependent on the government for their going concern and so doesn't want to give the government any reasons to stop funding, I suppose. So you can say the real power lies in the hand of the government.

Well, government in general have to take into account the public opinion. Maybe if you can sway the public opinion of your area into support your idea like gettting petitions from everyone in the university to agree not just your class, then the school board will be pressured to open the summer class for you.

15. Garcera-Sama

Reading List:
    Link
    Well actually summer class is the last last last resort we can still either cross enroll or take the prerequisite and the subject like taking advanced accounting 1 and 2 this second sem together, but we are still waiting for a response from our letter to the VP for Academic Affairs if they deny our request to cross enroll or to take both the prerequisite and the subject related to it we might need to do summer classes

16. juniorjawz

juniorjawz Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't know what to say to you except to say :

Good luck :blobsalute:

hammer, Femme Fatale and Garcera-Sama like this.
  17. BigBadBoi

BigBadBoi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Offering good luck to a fellow Filipino
    I am still in highschool(Grade 10) so I can't offer any opinions so I can only say good luck

Garcera-Sama likes this.
  18. Beltran

Beltran Seafarer

Reading List:
    Link
    Kinda weird passing grade you got there. Also have you confirmed this?
    I mean, it doesn't seem logical to me how a school would make students start again from first years (even needing you to take shs). If a petition really won't work then you could push through with reaching out to CHED. Maybe I'll help since you're in a state college.

Anyway, good luck, mate. I wish you all the best.

Garcera-Sama likes this.
  19. Gitami

Gitami Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Perhaps you guys should consult a lawyer. Due to what you pointed out that you are the last batch of old curriculum and would have to redo 6 years it does grant special circumstance. Unless they make an exception and allow you to continue and be tested under the old curriculum next year. Then there is accreditation if the profession also recognize other schools equivalence then it should be allowed, I do understand the school wanting to be able to say these graduates of ours meet our academic standards and not have these students saying they graduated from us did so from a different school with a different standards. It really look like a special circumstance consideration allowing for other schools accreditation.

20. CyberCypher

CyberCypher Air Breather

Reading List:
    Link
    Wow 85% , I am also a university student but our passing grade is 60% ( undergrad engineering) and the college of Law has theirs at 75% that mostly because their is a graduate course

Garcera-Sama likes this.