Feature Request Link verification please

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Bug Reports' started by ORorc, Nov 8, 2018.

1. ORorc

ORorc Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Sometimes, the links submitted to the site can be malicious, so is there any way to prevent said links from being submitted?

2. LaDyViL

LaDyViL New Member Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    What links? What happened for you to say they're malicious?

Blitz likes this.
  3. Ddraig

Ddraig Frostfire Dragon|Retired lurker|FFF|Loved by RNG

Reading List:
    Link
    Can you give examples of that happening?

4. ORorc

ORorc Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    For instance, the link to "The Man Picked Up By the Gods" had a link that led to you to an intrusive ad. That link seems to have been changed recently.
    Other times, it was when I clicked on links to the Quidan (I hope I spelt that right) website: same sort of thing happen.
    It sort of follows the pattern:
    1. Initial update happens
    2. Someone posts a malicious link, that appears close enough to a previous link, that makes it hard to see it to be false
    3. The initial rush of people click on the link, and suffer an attack.
    4. Something happens
    5. New link pops up, anywhere from a few hours, to a few days later, that is now safe.

Thus, I ask for some sort of verification process for a link, to determine it to be safe, before the people of the F5 clan or other such nonsense end up infecting their computers.

5. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    Links are added automatically by bots, I don't see that happening. I don't even see how a bot could pick up a malicious link from Qidian's RSS feed in the first place.

6. ORorc

ORorc Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I am ignorant on how novelupdates.com handles the links, but I do know from personal experience that this does happen.
    At first I thought it was the websites themselves, but if I bookmarked the website and visited it, then I did not suffer the ads.
    Now, it could be the same ad company's ads that cause the problem, versus the links. However, I ask here, since I can at least, ask here.

Next, bots do make mistakes. Bots do what is programmed into them to do, even the AI ones. If someone finds an exploit in a bot, then just like any other application, it can then be exploited. Nothing in this world is perfect.

7. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    https://forum.novelupdates.com/threads/how-does-novel-updates-work.21477/

8. Tony

Tony Moderator Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You should report the exact links which is causing the problems. Manual links are verified by a mod while releases added by the bots are usually not BUT if a site keeps posting malicious links, we would remove the site from the bot.

If you're referring to Qidian, it could be the ads as sometimes bad ads would redirect you. Source: @LaDyViL

Anyways, please just report the links next time. It's easier to fix if I know the exact links you're referring to rather than "some links"

Nom de Plume and AliceShiki like this.
  9. LaDyViL

LaDyViL New Member Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    When you click on NU link and you moved to QI, their page where you need to wait 3 seconds has an advertisement below the short preview for the chapter. In cases where you have already been infected from other sites you've visited previously, novel related or not, you might get malicious ads.

Unless you can give us the specific links so we can check them for you, there's not much I can say aside from what I have experienced before. And what I've described is not because of NU but because of the ads on the translator's website.

10. ORorc

ORorc Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    As I said before, the bad link was fixed relatively quickly.
    I didn't want to probe too deeply about the bot's methodology, as it would end up revealing vulnerabilities

11. Nom de Plume

Nom de Plume [Shio’s Disciple] [True Villain] [Equip: Gunblade] Novel Updates Staff

Reading List:
    Link
    One clarification since I’m confused, do you mean the non qidian links next to it are redirecting you when you misclick, or just the qidian ones?