Discussion Ending of a story

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Meloman, Nov 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Meloman

Meloman My dog is lazier than me

Reading List:
    Link
    Hello there,

I wanna hear some opinions::::

You know when you get those endings that sort of are like a cliff hanger? Well they are of course great, especially if the author writes book number two or three afterwards. But more often than not those endings annoy me, as a reader.

Though I must admit I still remember the ending to Steven King’s Christine... gave me goosebumps for a few months afterwards (the last novel by Mr King I’d ever dare to read. He is a great author but I can’t sleep at night thinking some monster is out there... nevermind)

So I was thinking, what sort of ending is actually a good ending.

1. We have the Cinderella “and they lived happily ever after” type endings
    2. We have the xanxia “and he left to another universe “ type endings
    3. We have the “sat by his/her grave and cried” type endings
    4. We have the world hopping worlds “I can’t wait to see my hubby in the next world” ending followed by “lived happily ever after” (FOD style, other world hopping novels I haven’t read the ending of still)
    5. Open endings- “and they went onto another adventure when the next demon lord appeared”
    6. Another annoying ending “everyone died “
    7. ....

So I would like to hear your favorite types of endings or ones you dislike...

Should we stop the story “after they got married” like in Cinderella? Or should we show how that Prince Charming turned out not so charming after the wedding?

I actually wrote a few “sad” endings myself, but I seem to have a problem with writing “lived happily ever after” type things.
    (Call me a pessimist- Whatever). To me a sad ending gives some form of conclusion.

I mean sure, life goes on... but how do you wish to see a novel wrapped up? Should a novel be started with an end in mind?

Your comments please :cookie:

one eye and Beltran like this.
  2. lichdeath

lichdeath undead meatbun ^^

Reading List:
    Link
    theres half-assed endings

like ml proposes marriage to mc

and a few years later you talk about some happy picture in like a sentence or 2

Meloman likes this.
  3. Ruki

Ruki Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    A "happily ever after" ending.
    It's frustrating to read a long novel only to find that it has an open ending.

Ranka and Meloman like this.
  4. Artesia

Artesia Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Wakes up from a dream ending

Random lurker, Ranka and Meloman like this.
  5. deanadiktus

deanadiktus day-night reversal

Reading List:
    Link
    Accomplishing the goal is a good start, then should be followed of what their life have become after achieving their goal...its not necessarily always happy ending with wifey and a child, it can also be new goal insight or still strive to another challenge

Meloman likes this.
  6. sawsand sushi

sawsand sushi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    mushoku tensei........., bah not finished yet wheres the LN!

Meloman and Zackarov like this.
  7. joey183

joey183 The Mysterious Entity

Reading List:
    Link
    Happy ending or sad ending doesn't matter as long as the story have a conclusion.
    I've read one like that too. The ML and the FL part at the airport, then they show a picture in a living hall that readers have to assume is from the ML that the couple has got married or something.

Meloman likes this.
  8. Shizun

Shizun 《Jack of all trades》《Artist/Author》《Dao of BLedia》

Reading List:
    Link
    Open ending is the best to let the reader interpret it in their own way. I mean, it can be HE, BE and SE. For example Code Geass

Meloman likes this.
  9. Liyus

Liyus Laksha's Desu~ Cat

Reading List:
    Link
    short novels(oneshot or similar) - open ending or sat by his/her grave and cried
    medium(your average book) - open ending
    long novel(those novels with never ending chapter) - happy ending and sometimes an open ending is also good(if made well)

overall an open ending is best as a reader....

Meloman likes this.
  10. yamibae

yamibae Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Any ending is fine I just prefer to see loose ends for all the side characters and side mysteries tied up in novels before the -end- but moving towards the end is a good time to tie them up if there are still any. Usually, many authors will end up just skimming over this which is honestly a total waste if the side characters had their own interesting stories.

Meloman likes this.
  11. joey183

Reading List:
    Link
    Code Geass ending was one of the worse ending for me. If he died then he died. Why have CC said those last words that make it seem as though he is still alive? I get angry when I think of that incomplete ending.
    PS: Code geass is still one of my favourite anime after Natsume Yuujinchou.

Beltran and Meloman like this.
  12. Shizun

Shizun 《Jack of all trades》《Artist/Author》《Dao of BLedia》

Reading List:
    Link
    Actually, theres a japanese version that reveals him and they removed it later on.

13. Zorgh12

Zorgh12 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It usually depend on the type of story honestly, for a comedic story I prefer a comedic ending for a mystery focus story I would prefer a twist at the end.

Meloman likes this.
  14. Meloman

Meloman My dog is lazier than me

Reading List:
    Link
    See, even that story has more than one ending version... though I’d rather see an annoying ending than three different ones unless it’s some messed up parallel world thing...

Beltran likes this.
  15. joey183

Reading List:
    Link
    Was there? I never to get to know even though I watch it raw with English Subtitle. Would not watch any dub version unless raw is not available.

16. Beltran

Beltran Seafarer

Reading List:
    Link
    I want my endings without any loose ends. I like seeing how everything turned up but not to the point where I'll find out if the main ship had kids or other whatnots. Mostly, I want happy endings, it just nice to see how at least someone can be happy in their story. I mean, life could be pretty bleak, why look for more bleakness?

On the other hand, I really don't like to see open endings from a good author. Come on, I like the way you wrote the story, what made you think I'll prefer my ending over yours? I'm not even a writer...

As for tragedies... I'll be okay, just give me time to recover from the all those bad things. *grabs ice cream to heal my soul*

mir, Ranka, joey183 and 1 other person like this.
  17. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm happy as long as most loose ends are tied I guess? Solve the main plot and most side plots, then follow up with an epilogue showing how they'll live their lives from now on... Do that and it's all good~

mir, Beltran and Meloman like this.
  18. Cosmic_

Cosmic_ [Novel Addict] [Lazy Writer] [Meh Editor]

Reading List:
    Link
    Those no conclusion, back to square one, here we go again harem endings.

Meloman likes this.
  19. Zethuron

Zethuron Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Most endings are fine, so long the plot is actually resolved. Sudden endings can be annoying but still not a dealbreaker, atleast so long they are not rushed like a lot of endings in novels are sadly enough.

Its endings like A Monster Who Levels up that i do really dislike, utter reset, basically removing MC all of a sudden.

Meloman likes this.
  20. BigBadBoi

BigBadBoi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I hate shit endings that doesn't resolve anything leaving you saying "what, WHAT IN THE FUCK!?" As you try to comprehend that how in the fuck did that end in such an unsatisfactory ending where it is all a dream or they had amnesia and starting from zero and shit.
    As for horror the most horrible ones are the one where the spoopy scawwy monster survives or kills everyone. We watched a horror to goddamn see the monster get GAME ENDED or the characters survive not seeing all characters dying just to desperately try to increase the horror factor.

mir, Rumby, Beltran and 1 other person like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.