Spoiler The Scum Villain's Self-Saving System

Discussion in 'Spoilers' started by kiara8, Apr 19, 2017.

?

Will it get better

1. Yes

93.9%
  2. No

6.1%
  1. starrynui

starrynui Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    IM GLAD I CAN SPREAD THE ANGST AND BINGGESQQ LOVE
    CRIESS ALSO THANK YOU YOU GUYS FOR ENJOYING MY CONTENT T___^ <3333

2. snakeandladders

snakeandladders Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Aw, your art is adorable! Bing-ge though... ;w;

akihiki and readerz like this.
  3. pizZiCcato

pizZiCcato Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    ... You're right. He didn't even get to clear up Shen Jiu's misunderstanding. Ah, heck, everyone in this novel is so angsty. I just wanna adopt everyone and protect them from the world :""

Chuyin, akihiki and earp like this.
  4. spearpoint

spearpoint Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There's something I am really curious about in regards to Luo Binghe/Shen Qingqiu that I am not sure is ever addressed by people in universe, towards them. I especially need commentary from native Chinese speakers @Lady Jiang

In Chinese there is a phrase 一日为师,终身为父 (Yī rì wéi shī, zhōngshēn wèi fù) which means something like "A teacher for one day, a father for life", which shows the respect and important of teachers in Chinese culture, and the two way responsibility that if one teaches someone they have to be responsible as a father would be toward their kid, and the person being taught also has to respect the teacher as they would their father, and this relationship persists even if the teaching is for only one day.

This also means there is an even deeper taboo for teacher/student in Chinese than in English because there is an element of incest. Probably the most famous instance of this in Chinese popular culture is Jin Yong's wuxia novel, The Return of the Condor Heroes (which is like Harry Potter to western audience in that practically every Chinese person has some knowledge of this series) but the martial arts community was strongly against the main couple of the hero Yang Guo, and his teacher, Xiaolongnv because love between master and apprentice is taboo to their norms. Yang Guo/Xiaolongnv has the weight of famous couple in Chinese culture the way Romeo and Juliet does in the west, except they live happily every after after a whole bunch of crap (like getting separated for sixteen years). I was just suddenly reminded of this because of recent messages about people reacting to their relationship. I'm not sure how many people on this thread are aware of this element? That I'm not sure the author addresses.

5. scriptor

scriptor 『Sigilmaster』 『Immortal Sage』

Reading List:
    Link
    I think the incestual subtext is automatically assumed for Chinese readers. I also thought of Jin Yong on my first reading lol.

Also, that’s why you see SQQ feeling shame sometimes in certain (especially public) scenes — it’s because he’s aware of that taboo, even if he doesn’t mention it explicitly.

busyoldfool and MonaLily like this.
  6. Cypress

Cypress Eh, what's "outside"? /sinks into bed

Reading List:
    Link
    Sorry to interup, this probably has been answer before but I didn't quite understand how SQ figured out that it was Shan Quinghua. I know it was because he said a curse word, but why did he particulary guess it was the author instead of it just being another reader? Was it really only because that's the only name that came up in his mind?

akihiki likes this.
  7. akihiki

akihiki Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That was exactly it he heard SQH say the chinese equivalent of FML and since he could only think of the author, he blindly guessed. Even he was kind of shocked that he was right. I think this is a follow up from the skinner [easy mode] incident, when SQQ guessed that the killer was Butterfly, simply because she was the only one similar to the killer that he could remember. So he made the same guess here and got really lucky.

Wen Rou, Darcy and Cypress like this.
  8. Cypress

Cypress Eh, what's "outside"? /sinks into bed

Reading List:
    Link
    I can't believe the answer was this simple... why does my brain have to complicate itself lol. I wish I had SQ guessing skill when I have a test... I'm jelly now

9. akihiki

akihiki Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Me too! :(:( I wish I could set all of my tests and assignments to be [easy mode].

Wen Rou, Emmabluez and Cypress like this.
  10. Lady Jiang

Lady Jiang Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yep there’s indeed some point of taboo in this kind of relationship. Ancient chinese people have a whole set of rules regarding the discipline of all kinds. And we have this phrase “天地君亲师” which literally means “heaven, earth, the king/emperor, the parent/family, the teacher” people pay great respect to them and the “teacher” ranks the fifth. (If you ignore those religious stuff like heaven and earth)Just behind the king and your own family members.
    The relationship between SQQ and LBH is criticized because of two reasons: both of them are men; SQQ is LBH’s master. We won’t just jump into the conclusion of incest for a master x student relationship but people are sure to gossip behind their backs and be strongly against such actions. Just like Mr Jin’s novel.

Wen Rou, Aeli, neu and 2 others like this.
  11. spearpoint

spearpoint Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks for the replies!

Oh, English translation readers who aren't aware of this cultural context are missing out on a spicy landmine. I have to explode this to the surface in one of my fics.

What I remember from MTL I think Liu Qingge reacted badly when he was trying to collect SQQ's body from Luo Binghe, and this was the time he actually succeeded because plantbody!SQQ helped him.

But there was a moment Luo Binghe was holding SQQ's body and during the fight the clothes accidentally slips down and the way LBH was holding SQQ looked super inappropriate so Liu Qingge shouted, "you beast, he is your teacher!!!" and I forgot LBH's reaction but I think he gave 0 fucks about being yelled at and continued refusing to release SQQ's body.

12. Emmabluez

Emmabluez Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Lmao I love how Luo does indeed give zero fucks Xd

readerz, Darcy and akihiki like this.
  13. pizZiCcato

pizZiCcato Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Actually he didn't know that Shang QingHua was the author. He just heard him say "WTF" when MoBei Jun appeared and figured that SQH must be someone who had read the original Proud Immortal Demon Way. So how was he going to prove this without revealing that he was from another universe? Say the original author's name, see their reaction to this name. If SQH wasn't from his world, the worst that could happen was SQQ getting a weird look. That was SQQ's original plan. He didn't expect SQH to respond "HOW DID YOU KNOW THIS ID OF MINE", lol

Here's what LBH said: "Do you think I would do this if it were anyone else?"
    ... And then the SQQ who'd recently had his eyes opened with the revelation of LBH's feelings toward him was just, "WTF this is too hardcore why am I starring in this sort of hardcore play that one in LBH's arms is dead right ofc it's dead that's my corpse!!!"

14. readerz

readerz Madam Jin

Reading List:
    Link
    Of course. Their relationship is 100% taboo, lol.
    • teacher - disciple is kinda incestuous
    • the age gap is also significant
    • demon-human relationships are also taboo
    • And, of course, it's same gender love which makes it quadruple forbidden.

That's why their relationship is so famous. It's so titillating, rofl! :LOL::love:

Some disciples were gossiping about it one time and SQQ overheard it. He was in his plant form and disguised so the others didn't recognize him. The disciples didn't even dare to directly state what happened. I imagine when people are talking about LBH x SQQ they are basically like:

"oh you know, it was like that" (wink wink nudge nudge)
    "you mean--" (pretending to be shocked)
    "yes..." (smirking)

:whistle:

Last edited: Nov 11, 2018
  15. Chuyin

Chuyin Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh, guys, I have a terrible feeling of shame when I come home from work and I don’t find enough energy in myself to sit at the computer, but remember that with my heart I am always with you and regularly check what you write!

So, I just read some fresh chapters and what you are discussing here.

*Silently runs up to dudes who love headcanons with original! LBHxSQQ and disguises among them*
    Thanks to the sweet bun with the nickname starrynui for great art on this theme!

In fact, SQQ is so good that I quietly connect it with many characters. I love all these guys too much...
    By the way, no less hotly I adore the options LQGxSQQ and YQYxSQQ. Well, LQG is generally my favorite character (... I want to marry you, hot hot-tempered dude...), and YQY... oh. He is a very complex character with a subtle character, in my opinion. To be honest, I am sincerely sure - if everything in the world of the original novel were any better, it would have stayed with SQQ. I mean ... nobody translated this extra, it seems? But I saw here they mentioned the SQQ and LQG campaign to the succubus (?), Where they met a fortune teller. The fortune teller mentioned two scarlet threads Shen Qing Qiu (*moves eyebrows playfully, looking at the intrigued LQG*), but the old thread was torn. I do not want to think that that thread applied to Qiu Haitang. I believe that meant YQY.

Also, after today's chapter, I am proud of the disciples from Qing Jing Peak. My kids have grown so much... *tears of a proud mother*
    But no one recognized Shen Qing Qiu because of his mustache? Lol, for some reason I first introduced the beard, like a Chinese old man-mentor, and then a mustache, like Poirot. And he threw the cat! Treacherous reception, ha ha! At first I decided that he was going to throw the poor cat into the face of the Young Palace Mistress... By the way, did I understand correctly - after running after the cat, he hitched an amulet to Ning Ying Ying to control her hand in battle? Or not?

AppleEmperor and readerz like this.
  16. Lady Jiang

Lady Jiang Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Errrrrr...
    Here’s something I have to say(please don’t get angry at my words)
    MXTX had stated that the main cp in her books are not to be separated:LBH x SQQ, MBJ x SQH in SV, LWJ x WWX in FOD and HC x XL in HOB should always be together.
    Most chinese fans take these words seriously and those who enjoy shipping them with another person are often criticized...for example the original LBH x SQQ ship.
    SJ and SQQ/SY are regarded as two different person so all ships regarding SJ is fine, but SQQ, no.
    So plz, maybe you do want to ship them, but stay within the circle of this ship, don’t say it aloud in front of chinese fans. Personally I felt a bit irritated but I can hold my temper, but there are offensive fans who can become really agressive. For example for the FOD characters, the LWJ x WWX ship fans and the WWX x JC or WWX x WQ ship fans are literally cursing the hell out of each other in china.
    Sorry but that’s the truth. I hope you won’t be offended...
    Btw today’s update is great! A big thank you to all the translators!

17. NotReading

NotReading Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hello, internet police.
    You haven't abided by the no fun allowed rule.
    You are under arrest.

~~Flame wars are hilarious~~

18. scriptor

scriptor 『Sigilmaster』 『Immortal Sage』

Reading List:
    Link
    I ship Bing-mei and SQQ (SY) like burning anyway lol, guess I'm safe.

But yeah, agreed, people can be veryyyyy protective of their couples. Like their precious babies~

Chinese fanworks tend to vary a lot more when it comes to pairings other than the main ones -- like in the GDC fandom for instance, LXC/JGY (which I do not ship) and LXC/JC (I SHIP), and so on.

19. PiayaParty

PiayaParty Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    But the American idiot inside me wants to start a bar fight LOL

That's interesting though! I don't typically stray away from popular ships anyway hahaha