Help me save my lunch!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by UnGrave, Nov 16, 2018.

1. UnGrave

UnGrave ななひ~^^

Reading List:
    Link
    My free lunch is in danger. Since I've been working here, every Friday we've been getting a free lunch on Fridays. This has always been the greatest thing to me, but it seems that my co worker is not of the same opinion. She said to me "we should just end free lunch, cause our boss doesn't eat anything even though he's paying for it so I feel bad~" and I am honestly having nervous sweats thinking about what if she really tries to take away my free lunch. She has two main reasons for wanting to end free lunch. The first is that she eats breakfast before showing up at 10, so she isn't even hungry. The other is probably that she has some fears about her job security, since our long time accountant was let go several months ago. She seems to think we're putting too much of a financial burden on our boss, so her job is at risk. Let me just tell you it's not.

In the time it's taken to write this I've calmed down a bit, but I still need some strategies to defend my right to a free lunch. Ask me any questions you have if you need more info to make a judgement

2. Random

Random Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Get her fired

3. CosmicInsomniac

CosmicInsomniac Well-Known Cultist

Reading List:
    Link
    You could say it's a small weekly bonding exercise or something?

4. fteg123

fteg123 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ask other people.
    Find people with common interest.
    Use democracy or play the poor card.
    Buy something for your boss.
    Tell your coworker that you can have her share if she doesn't want it.
    Find good points about the free lunch on Fridays to convince your coworker.
    Or, find a middle ground.

Tsukkin likes this.
  5. UnGrave

UnGrave ななひ~^^

Reading List:
    Link
    I'd even go as far to say it's all I live for right now.

6. Enigma

Enigma Follower of Jesus, he's the only way

Reading List:
    Link
    Take away her breakfast...

Ddraig, A5G_Reaper and doomeye1337 like this.
  7. Keleru

Keleru Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Screenshot this thread and email it to your boss (Or your co-worker).
    If you're so distraught by the mere mention of disbanding Free lunch Fridays, clearly this bit of time means something of significance to you.

Cite improved work performance and attitude is directly correlated with activities such as Free lunch Fridays, and show charts and graphs detailing the correlation. Managers/leaders love charts and graphs.

Loni4ever likes this.
  8. Eklair

Eklair Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Tell her to quit worrying about other people and do her job, But free lunch is best lunch.

9. akki

akki [Ani's C☕ffee-mate #3] [Shady Merchant]

Reading List:
    Link
    Tell her the free lunch could help motivate staff to work harder for the company and ending it might have a negative effect.

On a side note she seems kinda selfish~

10. JadeWhiteSkin

JadeWhiteSkin please rescue~

Reading List:
    Link
    whats wrong with her logic? if the food was any burden it would be the first thing to be canceled. No need to worries.

Also you need to remember that your boss always has to be thinking about the bigger picture.

11. UnGrave

UnGrave ななひ~^^

Reading List:
    Link
    The issue is that there technically isnt anything wrong with her opinion. That's what makes it so dangerous. I'm trying to protect my lunch here, not condemn her.

She's the kind who leaves the lids on the recycling bottles.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2018
  12. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
  13. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    Uhn... Just try talking it out with her and make her understand how important the free lunch is for everyone that has been working since early in the morning?

14. fuzor100

fuzor100 Standby mode...

Reading List:
    Link
    Tell her your opinion and ask other co-worker opinion.

15. Arumanfi

Arumanfi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Is she having a diet program and wants to drag everyone else down with her just because she doesnt want to gain weight?
    if so, you should call her out and tell her that she is fat and no amount of dieting will save her.

A5G_Reaper and Rober611 like this.
  16. chencking

chencking [Daolord Grammar Nazi]

Reading List:
    Link
    Why do you care what your co-worker says? It's not like she buys your lunch. Just try to reassure her though. If it would help keep jobs, the company would have cut the free lunch before firing the accountant. That they didn't means the lunch brings more profit than the accountant.

17. chencking

Reading List:
    Link
    Is that bad or good...?

18. Silvania

Silvania Has returned to Lurking

Reading List:
    Link
    For things like free lunch some businesses have it basically written off as company expenses as.
    "Employee Incentive"
    Your boss likely isn't paying out of pocket (If he is all power to him)

Also @chencking You should care what co-workers say, if no one speaks up it can be seen as agreement with the idea and the boss might go ahead and go with it.

In your case it is an event you look forward to attending every Friday, you could tell her that. (Not sure if you guys go out to eat or not or just order pizzas for the office or smth) I mean she might try to run you across as selfish but then you could play the bonding card which I am sure you actually are bonding even just eating with people, having a conversation with some people at your job you might not usually chat with.

As @JadeWhiteSkin Mentioned though, if it was a financial burden they would cancel it before firing an employee. It could be the employee wasn't being honest or had some problems as well. Thinking they were just let go just because is silly. There is always a reason.

JadeWhiteSkin likes this.
  19. chencking

Reading List:
    Link
    If the co-worker said that to the boss then sure, but I didn't get that impression from the post. And I can't imagine the boss would cancel the Friday lunches on the basis of overheard gossip.

20. Lucilius

Lucilius Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If it were really were a problem it would have been removed a long time ago, food is costly that much is a given. From what I've understood it's only every Friday. So that's once a week, it's better if you talked it out with your co-worker. Worries or not, dragging others isn't ideal if it really did get cancelled (Even though she's the only who seems to be recommending it, it seems unlikely.) Not everyone is fortunate to be able to eat without the need to pay for a decent meal just to survive the next day plus it's unusual for most of the workplaces (I've seen that is and is aware of) to give free food. It's a benefit at the same time it raises moral for staff because their hardwork pays off to a degree because they get free food. Removing it will probably drop that so to speak but hey it's just my thoughts on the matter.

Everyone already said so but get opinions from others, talk it out with her, and tell your boss.