Mtl of The Novel's Extra, The King of the Battlefield etc..

Discussion in 'Novel Discussion' started by Tyr_, Jul 24, 2018.

1. Tyr_

Tyr_ Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    dmca google translate then

2. IlkatSumil

IlkatSumil 意地悪師

Reading List:
    Link
    My "thoughts" can't change the law. And, as I already said of license-holders, "you're not allowed to distribute their translation because those words belong to the translator or their contractor. And you're not allowed to distribute your own translation, whether it's MTL of the raw or otherwise. ... No matter where you got the terms you're using, you can't distribute that MTL." That's your answer.
    There's a huge difference between using a translation app/site to translate raws and distributing/publishing the results. Google isn't distributing translations, and they aren't liable for people who use their services to do so.

Raneday, Wujigege and Westeller like this.
  3. Tyr_

Tyr_ Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ren was the first translator to get his works licensed. Everyone else who uses the phrase Nascent Soul (and of course many other terms) must get permission from him. Is this true/false according to your understanding of the law?

Dark Wing likes this.
  4. IlkatSumil

IlkatSumil 意地悪師

Reading List:
    Link
    Honestly, I don't give a shit. The rules are what they are regarding just how much of a licensed translation you're allowed to use. If you care so much about the nuances, look them up yourself.

The fact remains that, despite what you seem to think, licensed translators do own the words of their translations.

5. Tyr_

Tyr_ Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think you have misunderstood me from the beginning (and vice-versa). They own the translation which is a TEXT not WORDS. Words belong to a specific language (Engrish, Chinese etc..) while the text (translation or original) belongs to the author.

If someone owned the words then it would be impossible to speak or write down anything as we would have to get permission before we speak or write down those words. Do you understand what i mean?

I believe that you don't give a shit but if you go on and misuse (misplace) the word TEXT or CONTENT with WORDS then you might misinform a lot of people. For example, even if someone introduces the phrase Nascent Soul to the public literally they can't ban others from using it.

Moreover, normally im really bad tempered person too but i would like to give you a simple advice. whenever you are chatting with someone else or simply talking face to face try to be as polite as possible. Words such as asshole, fuck you etc may not be usual words that your counterpart uses(or likes to hear) even if those are the simple words that you use on daily basis to talk to your friends.

6. IlkatSumil

IlkatSumil 意地悪師

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, I understand that you have noooooo fucking idea what you're talking about. Distribution/publication and daily life are very different situations. For distribution/publication, you can say or write whatever you want within the boundaries of fair use, but outside of those boundaries you do have to get permission to use something owned by another.
    They can if they have a trademark or even an implied trademark. Enforcement can be expensive, though, so whether they go after someone for trademark or copyright infringement depends on how much it impacts their business. No one will give a shit if you name your personal sailboat "Nascent Soul." But if you go and name the ships in your cruise line "Nascent Soul" and other terms from the same story, you're bound to get a nasty letter or two from a lawyer. If you're trying to make money in a publishing-related area with those terms, you're in for even more trouble.

This is also why AU fanfics that get picked up by publishers have to change all the character names, place names and special terms to something different.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2018
  7. SirDan

SirDan Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Still have no idea how translators should be butt hurt. In fact it's usually the case that the terms that are added by the users to the glossary are even better than what translators decide on. Nowadays, especially lazy QI translators just MTL the whole novel and then fix some stuff while still leaving a bunch of messed up grammar and sub-par translation.

As a reader who loves to read and enjoy novels I much prefer the MTL option with many terms made by the community than wait a couple years for translators to actually finish the novel. (A lot of the time translators don't even finish what they do and just quit)

Anyways this is a forum post by Tyr to let more readers out there know that there is another option to LNMTL.com which not only focuses on CN but also KR and JP.

jheno13, Christinatina and rakazzt like this.
  8. Frostmagic08

Frostmagic08 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    @Tyr, are u gonna continue translating The novel's extra? There are about 20-30 chapters untled i think

jheno13 likes this.
  9. Faterjonan

Faterjonan Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Wuuuu... Yeah... Burn down lnmtl. Send them dmca....
    How dare they hosting mtled novel..

10. Christinatina

Christinatina Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hello could Tyr please also MTL the great storyteller and elqueeness? Please i beg you. I will wait for your answer be it yes or no. I hope it will be yess because i couldn't read them anywhere. Qidian already taken down the great storyteller while no translator would take elqueennes as it has been translated by other translator for 50 chapters but dropped it because of his or her maybe private issue or family or money?. If cannot please say no i would just try to stop my heart for craving or desperate for these story.
    Thanks

11. Christinatina

Christinatina Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Same here. Really when the novel just dropped by the translator what other option beside MTL? If i ask another translator by comment for please picking the novel that dropped by other translator they even erased my comment. So what can i do? if there really is mtl about novel i like i would read it just to satisfy my desperate thirst.

12. rookie04

rookie04 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Its not translated as good as the other site but its readable.. its like finding some raw advance chapters which is pretty neat... theres just surprising mistakes like spear being translated into window because chang - spear changmun - window or something like that.

13. Wick

Wick Black van owner

Reading List:
    Link
    Hohoho looks like I will burn my brain cells again.

Can you @Tyr_ add The Famous Millionaire it was Korean novel that was Translated in QI but get deleted and think it will take a long time for someone to pick it up, so please add this novel it doesn't get included In survey page.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 3, 2018
  14. Kana_SST

Kana_SST Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Why The Novel's Extra stopped at chapter 180??

15. Tiken

Tiken Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Probably there is no more content to translate for now

16. soulhacker

soulhacker New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    They release in bunches of ~ 20 chapters ... but the translation quality of the new chapters 180+ is horrible. The difference between 179 & 180 is huge. Were the previous chapters human edited or something?

17. tides

tides Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    did anyone forget about how lnmtl said they would not add any qi novels before?
    comrademao was a good alternative but look whats happening now over at lnmtl now?

anyway mtl doesnt hurt translation.

if i can do a chapter in 1 hour, theres no reason for you to take one week to do one chapter, esp when you pick up a 1600 chapter novel.

imma die of old age before you even do chapter 500.

18. pukeofhurl

pukeofhurl The Philosopher

Reading List:
    Link
    @Tyr_ is comrade mao down?

19. Tyr_

Tyr_ Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    we moved servers. it was down for a few hours

jheno13 and pukeofhurl like this.
  20. soulking 12

soulking 12 Member

Reading List:
    Link
    @Tyr_ can you please send me the link i can t find it ?