Question Are the bullyings in novel that bad in RL?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by GDLiZy, Nov 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GDLiZy

GDLiZy Wise Deepsea Mermaid

Reading List:
    Link
    Very serious topic.

From all across novels and mangas I have read about the bullyings in JP high-school, people did those kinds of unbelievable things that seems too unreal to be the truth. ( Maybe I just couldn't imagine about it. )
    Like dumping piles of trash over the person, ruining their desk, sending death threats, etc. Reading about it make me felt bad and also felt weird out.

Is there any case of those extreme bullying in real life?

2. rijimon17

rijimon17 Hope you can read the words

Reading List:
    Link
    Most likely there is. If your having a hard time believing me then think about this. A teenager stabbed a nurse 70 times because he was bored. True story.

The only trope that I've seen in a light novel that I don't believe is true is how the MC of a wuxia/xianxia novel seems to be considered "trash" toward every villian. Like seriously. If he beats up the 2nd place in the entire section. Then why does 1rst place still consider him trash. Makes absolutely NO SENSE.

3. elengee

elengee Daoist Ninefaps

Reading List:
    Link
    If reality was like novels every woman in China would get raped by young masters on a daily basis.

Fate81 and Wujigege like this.
  4. Mr.Tiemos

Mr.Tiemos Clifford’s Big Little Cousin, Loves Hugs

Reading List:
    Link
    I’ve not seen it happen but I’ve heard a few people talk about their experiences seeing it or they themselves being bullied in a similar fashion to what happens in JP novels/manga. I doubt it’s as prevalent in reality as it is in those stories but I could be wrong.

5. tahzib1451

tahzib1451 Title?is it food?

Reading List:
    Link
    isnt there a program against bullyingnin the US...WWE frequently showed those awareness quotes in their shows....

6. kuroAnsatsu

kuroAnsatsu Realistically Stoic

Reading List:
    Link
    You know what's the reasons for some people committing suicide because of bullying? This is a sensitive topic, so answer it by yourself and no need to reply

7. Kutaifa

Kutaifa Pokémon trainer

Reading List:
    Link
    I've seen a variety of ways people bully others.

I have not witnessed "umping piles of trash over the person, ruining their desk", but death threats i have read on Facebook send by friends anonymously to others.
    Mainly the bullying was isolating the person and not letting them attend any activity outside of school, sometimes they would say a backhanded remark about the person. I never really noticed the bullying until my last two years in my class.

8. reagents 11

reagents 11 disaster personified

Reading List:
    Link
    Basically that's what would happen without anyone intervenes. Especially if the victim were fearful and submissive.
    As a former somewhat bullying victim myself I'd just say their escalation is because victims isolation from everyone around him including the adults that doesn't interested in the children conflicts.

I fought off bullys on my own. :blobhero:

9. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    Never heard of anything remotely as serious happening IRL.

I don't think it doesn't exist, but I think it's a super duper minority of the actual cases of bullying... Just like in some TV shows there are bullies that lock people in lockers and what not.

An extreme case like what is shown in those novels probably happens to like... 1 person every year at worst... Like, seriously, I went through a fair amount of bullying during most of my school life and it was nothing like that.

10. SageRozenburg

SageRozenburg [Not a pervert][Not Suspicious]

Reading List:
    Link
    Most bullying ive seen in real life, is people being excluded in groups, no physical pain but more on emotional pain.

Dr_H_16 likes this.
  11. Goblin Sleuth

Goblin Sleuth Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah and every Japanese girl would have been violated repeatedly by her school's local gang of bullies. Seriously that is the problem with these novels, they create the worst possible version of the worst possible situation, just so they can show the protagonist in a heroic light. Then when everything is over the story just moves on without any consequences. Like seriously this girl came really close to being raped, and she is totally fine within a few paragraphs of text. Those bullies tried to commit and extremely depraved and psychopathic level crime, and they're just allowed to walk free without facing any punishment.

It creates a very warped and twisted version of reality, where rape attempts appear commonplace, and the consequence of failure is not prison, but a gentle smack on the wrist.

elengee likes this.
  12. Bakaturq

Bakaturq Tell me, what do you see?

Reading List:
    Link
  13. elengee

elengee Daoist Ninefaps

Reading List:
    Link
    lol yeah , i was reading one on webnovel originals. Gang was like kill the guy, take the girls and let's have some fun. Guy beats them 'don't come back anymore!' it was already the second time as they kept bringing more people. This is courting death from a logical standpoint. Oh , don't forget they announce their name more often than not 'i am.... come look for me if you want another beating!'. lol.

Wujigege and Goblin Sleuth like this.
  14. elengee

elengee Daoist Ninefaps

Reading List:
    Link
    A bunch of middle schoolers over here took a pre-schooler and acted out some scenes from 'Chucky' i believe, putting out cigarettes all over his body and he ended up dying. It's incredibly rare for bullying to take such extremes , even more rare for it to be by multiple people unless there's a mob mentality going on where they can 'justify' their actions. Dehumanize the victim based on certain traits.
    It's near impossible for the whole class to try to kill their classmate after a summoning just because he has a useless skill though... lol.

15. readerz

readerz Madam Jin

Reading List:
    Link
    I saw one person bully another by sending 800+ sms messages. They used some sort of bot/program. That was pretty extreme. Like, borderline psycho and scary.

Wujigege likes this.
  16. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
  17. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    Not just Japanese even the first Spiderman movie with Tobey McGuire. Bullying is gratuitous. Flash bullied Peter and there were no consequences. I avoid stories focused on bullying for the most part, also rape. These are delicate subjects but the stories bring them up, spends a lot of time on then and BAM!! They are brushed aside and forgotten.
    I see rape tag in a novel and I flee.
    Wei Xiaobao in Duke of Mount Deer being an exception.
    Someone recommended Return of the Condor Hero anime for me and it took me almost 2 years before I watched it because of the rape.
    Having a Chinese roommate who convinced me to watch it was the only reason I did

18. ORoger

ORoger Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't have a direct experience with bullying other a bit of taunting and even then it wasn't that serious.
    But most of what I am reading I don't consider bullying, I mean stabbing, raping killing, death treaths, kidnapping, to me to call those bullying is an understatement.

Maybe we have a different understanding of wath bullying is , to me over a certain point it stops being bullying and becomes something else.

19. youseiki

youseiki 『Loves Glasses』

Reading List:
    Link
    Not sure if the hellish life of Junko Furata could be called bullying, it was clear that the perpetrators were doing a crime but they think they were just bullying her, which is more fucked up.

Gitami and readerz like this.
  20. TerraEarth

TerraEarth Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    A quick google search will show many examples of this kind of stuff happening in real life. Most bullying isn't as extreme as what you see in the novel's, but it isn't too far off.

Kuro_0ni likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.