Worst Interview of my Iife

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Ryan_Oliver, Nov 22, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Ryan_Oliver

Ryan_Oliver Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hi guys,
    So, today I went to a interview and I was kinda nervous since I didn't know how to formulate the "interest" they had asked for.
    ( I writed a wall of text with interesting points to speak, but I couldn't structure well...)
    To problem is, even the part I was confident, I couldn't speak, when I opened the presentation and wanted to start, my throat felt like it was blocked ...
    Funny ' cause that was the second step of the interview and I went quite well on the first (that was also a presentation, but without the managers)
    Kind sad with it xD

So, could you guys tell about similar experiences ?

* I get the feeling my English was quite broken on this post, but ok

MangoGuy likes this.
  2. Expatamoeba

Expatamoeba Have eyes but still couldn't see Mount Tai

Reading List:
    Link
    The most important part is the experience you get. It will boost your confidence for your next interviews. Just keep trying and don't give up. Once you gave up, you'll become a NEET in no time.

macy2, Indiboy and MrSplashy like this.
  3. MangoGuy

MangoGuy Rambling Mango

Reading List:
    Link
    I am still a student so... There was this club I wanted to get in to get back into society. Problem? It went so bad that I literally ran out of the room.

4. RizYun

RizYun #Kaffee4Laifu

Reading List:
    Link
    when wanna speak loud enough to compare a cicada in the summer, but only able to make sound similar to a mosquito in open area.
    when a mumbling to be heard til the people to way in the back(roughly 20m away from podium(?)) and makes a question out of wat i mumbled about....
    orz

Sadim likes this.
  5. Mnotia

Mnotia The Trash Man

Reading List:
    Link

How much did that job pay?

Cause popeyes workers get payed $10 an hour and when you're a shift lead you could gift up to $15 an hour.

I work at popeyes.

6. Ryan_Oliver

Reading List:
    Link
    This part is quite scary since I experience once e_e

Cuddles0_0 likes this.
  7. Inute

Inute Daydreamer

Reading List:
    Link
    man i love popeyes

Cuddles0_0 likes this.
  8. Darkanlan

Darkanlan Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Just remember whenever you have to speak in front of people that you're better than them and they're peons who exist to take your orders. If you look at the people like that during those times you'll never have a problem with giving a presentation or speech, though you may have problems if you start acting arrogantly or look down on them. Usually it's best to just think that way in the moment so you'll never have problems speaking in front of large crowds in the hundreds to thousands or more. Another point is during speeches try to rope people into the topic you're discussing and draw the group before you into it and use their participation to make them easier to manage if it's a situation that allows it.

Mnotia likes this.
  9. juniorjawz

juniorjawz Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Interviews huh.

It's best to be the best you can. First impression are power. It might decide how the person treats you later on. And you won't like it if you're just treated like a weak man.

Well anyways. In term of presentation, practice and preparation will help a lot. Think of what they want, what they'll ask and how you answer them. If you go in with that prepared.. it's all your show.

10. Ryan_Oliver

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, if we covert to dollar it would be something like $350 the minimum salary here is $245 monthly ...

11. MrSplashy

MrSplashy Grey Knight

Reading List:
    Link
    I always had a fear/trouble of speaking in front of a large group of people so I know how you feel as I cannot even think of any sentences to answer their questions and as time pass by I became a nervous wreck that I know that I won't land the job so I just finished quickly and yeah go home. Basically, try to suppress your fear, be optimistic, and try to practice your speech in front of your friends or family. The only hard part is when you are inside the interview room with the interviewer/managers looking at you in the eyes, just look straight at them and ooze a bit of a confident aura so that they know that you know how to do this job and that you're confident on landing it. That's all.

macy2 likes this.
  12. oblueknighto

oblueknighto Blue Person

Reading List:
    Link
    Man sounds rough. Better luck next time. Or just practice more in front of a mirror. Even better to record your practise to see what you can improve on.

13. Romashk

Romashk Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I do construction and renovations, so every new job is like a job interview. Most clients know what they want to get so it's not you speaking that will get you the job. Learn what your client wants, offer your skill set with experience and name an adequat price.
    That said. My first solo job and I was sweating, mumbling, didn't ask apropriate questions and overestimated my strength. Needless to say I didn't earn much. Best private education my money could buy.

macy2 likes this.
  14. Jojo775

Jojo775 Honorary Algae Knight

Reading List:
    Link
    I failed a few of them but now I can recognize that fake smile that means "everything is fine but we'll let you know in 2 weeks you didn't pass even the first round". You can't let them know that you're looking for a temp job like I did when I said can I have the other shift when I have online android course? You also have to be prepared to answer awkward questions like why should we choose you, where do you see yourself in 1 and 5 years? Ofc you probably see yourself in some other company on a much better job but you have to say something they'll like, that they think they won't waste training you for their little robotic errand job.
    Well that's in my case where my goal is to be an android developer or something in IT but have to work stupid low wage jobs like telesales until I get the experience.
    In general a good handshake is necessarry, eye contact, not staring though, talking and bullshitting- take care here not to be caught coz it's better to be honest and say no I don't know than be caught lying. So I bs on stuff they can't prove or check like I exaggerate what I did on my past jobs but say that was long ago so I don't remember much if they ask.
    I made one stupid mistake in CV recently, kinda related to lying I mentioned above but I bs's my way trough it or they didn't just care and I got the job luckily. The thing is I applied at this company and they rejected me in the end, now I applied again but I updated my CV and extended duration of my past jobs so it wouldn't seem I was unemployed for so long. They checked my old CV and asked me about it. I was lazy and foolish to not send them my old CV again.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2018
    macy2 likes this.
  15. elengee

elengee Daoist Ninefaps

Reading List:
    Link
    Was the casting couch not soft enough? :blobthinkingsmirk:

Mnotia, Jojo775 and Scarecrow like this.
  16. hibatsu

hibatsu Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I feel you. I applied on this company and they made me take three interviews, the first one was preliminary, second one was with a manager, and third one was with the head. I botched the third interview completely because I was out of sorts.

When it comes to interviews, I just think of them as experience, whether I failed or succeeded in answering well. You'll get better in time

macy2 likes this.
  17. Maraderchik

Maraderchik Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Usually when you fell anxious and think something like - "damn, they all see how i'm staying here like idiot and panikcing", that's not true, most likely no one besides you didn't think you're panicking at this time. Just keep talking. Hopefully it's help someone.

macy2 likes this.
  18. macy2

macy2 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Theres really no way around it, except gather experience. Also you were probably too prepared and that led to inflexibility when answering questions. Every interviewer expects and asks different things. Its hard to be prepared, especially when this sounds like the average part-time. Unlike actual jobs for long term careers the questions are much more varied and random. For career interviews at least you know for certain they'll be asking questions pertaining to the company, success, or specific aspects of yourself.
    Have you tried searching up the possible questions on glassdoor or some similar website? Formulate an idea of what you'll say to them, dont write a script. When the time comes you dont want to sound like a well practiced acter (well you can, but at your level not yet). They want to see personality and confidence, answering like a robot is a no go. Be flexible in answering, and small white lies (small as in, 'yes! I'm happy to be here') can be used. Also, its alright to take a second and think; especially for the trickier questions. Don't panic, formulate a response, speak slow and clear.
    Also, interviews are about selling yourself. Be CONFIDENT; fake it if you have to. Its fine to be nervous and they'll understand, but being confident really brightens the persona (may end up sitting straighter, looking alert, more cheery, self-assured, speaking louder, etc). Also, remember to SMILE and be FRIENDLY (or again pretend to be) they want a team player, someone that can get along. Also, appealing to the interviewer that they like you on a personal level is huge point on your end. Often, these part time jobs arent based solely on the merits you bring, but how much the interviewer likes you as a person.
    Bad at public speaking? Or some negative aspect that you obsess over? No problem, SELL IT. If they ask for bad points about yourself etc, say that you are uncomfortable speaking for prolonged times in public settings or that you speak too quietly often. But you have been working to improve them (give examples), and you believe this job can help you reach this goal. Heck, you can bring this up yourself. Shows that you are honest, recognize there are improvements and have the initiate to fix it. Also these are common problem and it'll help ease your anxiety afterwards.
    And honestly, they want to invest in someone who'll stay for the long-term (saving training fees, etc); hence sound interested in doing so. Don't let them know how many other interviews are linned up and if you have other prospects. They dont need do know. All they need to know is that you want this job and you have the drive to do a good job at it.

At the end of the day its all about experince and exposure. Apply everywhere (only a small portion will reply back if you complelety have no work experience) and go to every interview you get invited to even if you arent interested. Get experience, dont be shy or embarrassed to do so. Managers have probably went through 50 resumes, tossed out 30, interviewed 20, evaluates you, and went back to a new stack of resumes. They dont care who you are, they wont remember you. This is perfectly normal.

Also not sure if this'll help. But just relax. You arent the first stuttering, mumbling, nervous wreck they have seen and you wont be the last. Long answer questions (tell us a time you encountered a problem and how was it resolved) are like long story questions. And you may embellish it a little. Be flexible when answering, and for these long answers questions you can ask them to give more details (what kind of problem are we talking about?). Answers don't have to fit 100% (asking for leadership but haven't been in sport teams or leading role), just close enough to hit the mark (you can tell them beforehand) what they are looking for is stuff in between the lines (google soft vs. Hard skills) not the cold explicit answer.

Dont obsess if you mess up. Remember to thank them for the interview and come out knowing you done your best in the moment. Write down the questions if you remember them and review what you should have done and most importantly what you did do well. 'Should haves' are places of improvement. And have you have 'Done well' are stuff you should definelty keep in mind next time around. They may be your strong answering suit, a strength in you favor you'll like to milk in each interview if possible.

Good luck. (Also, you arent a failire if you do bad. You win some and you lose some. If you got an interview there was at least something they liked in your resume and thought you worthy of meeting)

****sorry for this tome of text

Last edited: Nov 22, 2018
    Ryan_Oliver likes this.
  19. Kuro_0ni

Kuro_0ni Cocooned in a Life transition

Reading List:
    Link
    Congratulations. And I'm not being snarky here, because you gained insight from this whole thing. You learned about your own weaknesses through the process. This gives you a lot more to improve one.

I will liken them to playing games. Do you stop playing when you were defeated? Like utterly quit and don't move forward? I'd hazard that's a no. An so with that logic, I say keep moving forward, learn from your mistakes. Take pride in what you've tried, what you've done so far. Sure things all seem meaningless for a bit, but the true failure really is, is not being able to get back on your feet.

Usually if you don't make the best impression at an interview, it's just a lack of experience. So I'd say go out and make more interpersonal connections. In-person interviews are just a way for employers to see how you can socially fit within their business (Or that's how, the principle of the task is). Just because communication is key, you'll need to interact with bosses and customers and coworkers.

Bringing it back to the game analogy thing. If you can push forth the same drive you have when completing a task/ quest. Then I believe you can apply that logic to actual life. Certainly its not easy, but since when was it easy mode for us all.

Keep your head up, this won't be the worst interview, and it may not be the last. Don't be discouraged by it and instead reflect on what you can do next time. Cheers dude and best wishes to you!

20. Ryan_Oliver

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks guys, I hope some people find this since there were quite a few tips, it would probably help the before a presentation.
    I'll make sure the next one is better, thanks o/

* For some reason I feel my throat was never so clear as now, I reading aloud without any problem kk

Kuro_0ni likes this.