Plot holes in xianxia and xuanhuan novels

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Tyieeb, Nov 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lucjanssens

lucjanssens a very ¨rabbit¨ bunny

Reading List:
    Link
    well if those novels happen on a planet the size of the earth wouldn't mankind go extinct after a fight by strong people seeing how much damage they can do (trowing attacks around who can destroy mountains with is a lot of damage)

GloomUnderNight likes this.
  2. GabeZhul

GabeZhul Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    For the first one, my Watsonian explanation is that the ones who become elders are the hardworking type, who stay home and cultivate safely and slowly, while all the maverick geniuses either die young, get lost in some secret realm, or transcend to a higher plane, leaving these above-average guys who couldn't cut it behind to pick up the pieces and run the sect in their absence.

As for the Doylist explanation, it's because in most cultures, age equals authority. Because of this, it's an easy shorthand for authors to establish the authority of a character by making them older. Similarly, overcoming said authority and replacing the old generation with the fresh young protagonist resonates better with the target audience.
    Finally, while this is more of a modern plague, and thus probably didn't influence the trope too much, making a character old is a good way to prevent shipping.

lucjanssens likes this.
  3. GloomUnderNight

GloomUnderNight "DOMO HAJIMEMASHITE. I am STRING CUTTER" ©

Reading List:
    Link
    Ok, that is perfectly fine with me, but they are using big numbers just for the sake of big numbers without even considering the worldbuilding.

For example, alright lets think that gravity is not an issue, but how the hell such country maintains itself if the distanse between cities is thrice of the distance between the Earth and Moon. Im not saying this is wrong because the genre is (almost)fantasy, so it is meant to be unrealistic, but leaving these points unclarified causes big damage to the worldbuilding. Any explanation would be fine: it is because of magic/cultivation/power offriendship/illuminati whatever.

Me:How do mortals travel between cities?
    Author: Using horses, lol.

So the worst plothole for me in most of the CN novels - neglected worldbuilding

Jymbo and GabeZhul like this.
  4. Raneday

Raneday Not Rane

Reading List:
    Link
    They don't use horses, they usually use magical beasts which are way more faster than horses or any modern transportation modes like cars/ships/planes

Also on some novels they also have portals or talisman that could easily take them to their destinations

5. lucjanssens

lucjanssens a very ¨rabbit¨ bunny

Reading List:
    Link
    some of those horse can go up to 300 miles a hour (a race car?)
    and that are the stuff mortals have access to (if rather expensive)
    and the city's are mostly self reliant so there isn't much contact between those city's

6. Tyieeb

Tyieeb Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yep how is it that a virgin in previous life gets to become sex god in their next life when they do not know how to kiss properly is it that the MC gets a cheat or the concept od se***l pleasure is ridiculously low in these fantasy worlds?

7. Tyieeb

Tyieeb Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    But what about eternal youth cause in stories where it bis masterxdisciple the master is ridiculously handsome but is fellow brothers and sisters are old dudes!!

8. Tyieeb

Tyieeb Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yea I know and I am not complaining that if they look middle aged giving them a mature feeling what I am complaining is why are they always old guys!

Arexio likes this.
  9. Archaic pickle

Archaic pickle Daoist Heavenly Kimichi

Reading List:
    Link
    In those stories isn't the master the head of the sect/ so he will be the highest cultivation outside ascending to another realm? ( I'm guessing your talking about my disciple has died again?)

Arexio likes this.
  10. Arexio

Arexio Blob Fanatic | AG Player

Reading List:
    Link
    1. Most of the traditional genre seems to be that way, where the masters are all old.

Other novels like Banished to Another World (which includes elements of xianxia/fantasy/sci-fi/etc.) have characters that become younger when they advance to a certain blood/spirit cultivation.

Like what @Archaic pickle said, in some stories, the "real" masters that advance high enough in their cultivation, where they don't get old/get younger, move onto a higher realm/plane/world, leaving all the old "fake" masters behind (insert many of the uber word count CN novels).

2. Yeah, the heavenly tribulations are like most people said.

At least in the stories I've read, it's more like a system than blasts you with lightning when you break certain rules of the realm aka higher cultivation/reach immortality/etc.

I've read some stories where MCs cheat the tribulation punishment by exploiting some loophole or such, and heaven is still none the wiser.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2018
    Archaic pickle likes this.
  11. gamemodapk

gamemodapk New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Those Elders are old since they are no-abilities who accomplished their situations from eating-and-sitting tight for death. The riches they have originated from searching, grave-victimizing, copyright encroachment and harassing the individuals who can't battle back.

12. Archaic pickle

Archaic pickle Daoist Heavenly Kimichi

Reading List:
    Link
    Didn't you just paraphrase him? >_>
    <_<
    I mean if you are hard up for nuffies this young master can bestow upon you a pittance.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.