Discussion Novels with constant misunderstandings

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Thousandswords, Nov 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thousandswords

Thousandswords SWORD OF PENETRATION

Reading List:
    Link
    There are many novels with constant misunderstandings. For example, The Novels Extra, My Death Flag etc.
    These novels would not be able to progress without these misunderstandings. Misunderstanding is the main theme of these type of novels.
    Now, the question is...usually the constant repeat of the same thing should feel annoying, do you feel annoyed?

The biggest misunderstanding for The Novels Extra is that the readers think that this novel has romance in it, but the fact is it's all a misunderstanding. Kim Hajin doesn't love anyone romantically. There's no ship, wake up people! (Maybe Shuho×His Sword)

2. Happy guy

Happy guy Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    true, no ship

3. aswger

aswger Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Most epic misunderstanding:
    To Be a Power in the Shadows!

Sadly though the TL release not consistent anymore.

4. justmehere

justmehere Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I was mistaken as a genius

Frozen

5. Renaxan

Renaxan [Ero Culture Enthusiast]

Reading List:
    Link
    Sometimes im felt annoyed, even disgusted.. most of them are japanese novel. In case of death flag and to be power in shadows the misunderstand isnt really because the mc didnt done any action, and mostly has a good will toward so this is exception.

There's a lot misunderstand JP novel thar the misunderstand created because mc in incompetent and never clear a thing.. or such example as seirei gensouki, hp1 (if i recall), that person later on.. etc. Thus kind of misunderstand sometimes make me slumped (especially seirei damn it).

6. aswger

aswger Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well depend on author executions, in some novels its good and most other boring on even very annoying. Most japanese novel and manga mostly on annoying nside though.

Edit: Renaxan beat me to it :)

7. Beltran

Beltran Seafarer

Reading List:
    Link
    It all depends on the execution and how much the author keeps on unnecessarily bringing it up. Generally, I hate repetitive misunderstandings especially those where characters just jump into conclusions on their own without much thought.

8. Thousandswords

Thousandswords SWORD OF PENETRATION

Reading List:
    Link
    Like the people in The Novels Extra?

Beltran likes this.
  9. MarxDarkBear

MarxDarkBear The Great Man

Reading List:
    Link
    Depends on how many times the author uses misunderstandings. Too many times and the novel becomes boring or repetitive. But the danger with misunderstandings is that when the misunderstandings end and the truth is found out, the novel becomes a cringe fest.
    For example with the novels extra, the biggest misunderstanding is that the mc is extremely powerful. If everyone finds out that he instead is extremely weak and only has op abilities the novel kinda gets ruined.

10. TerraEarth

TerraEarth Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't see the issue here. There are plenty of novels filled with annoying misunderstandings but TNE isn't one of them.

11. Meloman

Meloman My dog is lazier than me

Reading List:
    Link
    Manga Angel Densetsu I was laughing to tears at some misunderstandings

12. Beltran

Beltran Seafarer

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, a bit. Though I'm reading the novel and find it interesting, sometimes, those misunderstandings are frustratingly unnecessary. Oh well, still gonna keep reading it anyway :blobjoy:

13. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Why do you assume that constant repetition is supposed to be annoying? What you're talking about is effectively a running gag, and running gags derive much of their effect from showing up repeatedly. While this has the potential of getting annoying, that isn't an inherent part of this particular story mechanic.

14. Adqui

Adqui Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Annoyed.
    Constant misunderstandings are something that I can't pass easily, mostly because most of them are a product of a lack of proper communication and tend to end in toxic results. Misunderstandings that I can tolerate are those that are for comedic purposes or unavoidable.

15. Raneday

Raneday Not Rane

Reading List:
    Link
    Overlord - has good misunderstandings...

cleesus likes this.
  16. WinByDying

WinByDying I can count to four

Reading List:
    Link
    You haven't read Bringing The Nation's Husband Home yet - it drove me fucking insane. It's like cheap crack produced in the toilet of a filthy crack house. It's really shitty, but it does get you high. A bit.

It's different from the JP misunderstanding trope, but just as infuriating at times.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.