Wattpad n Qidian

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by cap.toon, Dec 7, 2018.

1. cap.toon

cap.toon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Recently, I notice that a lot of the new novels feel odd. They weren’t quite Qidian style or similar to the Chinese novels I see on their site regularly. In fact, a lot of the fans have been commenting that they followed novels from Wattpad to Qidian. What is going on? Qidian brought out these online authors with great offers?

2. aruansakalog

aruansakalog Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    INVASIOON!!!!!

3. slightofhand

slightofhand Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    qidian pays more.

4. Aternus

Aternus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Qidian has a different audience that wattpad doesn't have.

It's only logical to move if your audience fits in elsewhere.

5. replay

replay ★Milk and Honey smelling Merchant★

Reading List:
    Link
    well at the least for now those authors can gain some dough that are not from donations from fans. . . .
    but if i remember correctly their contract states that authors that will not continue their stories or stop it will need them to give the ownership of the story and will let Q continue it even with a different author. . .
    something like that?

6. joey183

joey183 The Mysterious Entity

Reading List:
    Link
    woah, that means you lose ownership of your own story? That's a daylight robbery!!

7. Pietje1324

Pietje1324 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Honestly, if Wattpad fuses with QI, that would just be another argument to read neither. Quality of story wise, I am truly not sure which is worse anyway.

Pau, Sabruness, Tsukkin and 1 other person like this.
  8. Katra1212

Katra1212 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So basically, as a writer/owner of a story when you're contracted by QI, you'll give them the copyright? So what's the catch? Royalties? How much do these QI orig writers earn in average then?

9. Katra1212

Reading List:
    Link
    By posting your story on their site, you're basically giving them traffic, so they'll still earn regardless if they pay you or not. Right?

10. joey183

Reading List:
    Link
    Wattpad is more western oriented. But honestly, I've not read in there for months even though i had the app on phone. I can't seem to get immersed into the story written there. Their ads is also kinda annoying too.

11. Katra1212

Reading List:
    Link
    Speaking of wattpad, there were some very good transmigration, reincarnation, second chance, and slice of life romance orig stories. And some of these writers indeed posts their works in QI, but majority (correct me if I'm wrong) are not premium, so are they still getting paid or is the only for exposure?

12. joey183

Reading List:
    Link
    I think it's for exposure? Cause regardless of the antagonism, QI is still highly used by many including me. I feel so tempted to post my story in there too or maybe I should post in in this forum instead.

13. Ai chan

Ai chan Queen of Yuri, Devourer of Traps, Thrusted Witch

Reading List:
    Link
    If Qidian does buy out Wattpad, then that's the alarm bells telling you to stop supporting Qidian. When a company has 60% control over anything, they have domination and can pretty much do anything they want with the industry.

When a company has over 70% control over anything, whatever you say that are against what they say has no value. At that point, you have no value other than sheep to be slaughtered by that company. This is not being dramatic, this has already happened and is currently happening in China. Tencent owns everything in China now and whatever you say against Tencent will not make dent on their profits. On they other hand you will get arrested if Tencent finds you enough of a nuisance.

Qidian wants domination of world literature. For that, it's burning a lot of money to gain that dominance, even if it has to work at a loss for 10 years. Qidian wants to be like its parent Tencent, except in the literature business. Once Qidian has dominance, you're done. Either you take whatever scrap they give you or you don't get anything at all. That's just how it is when a company has dominance over a niche. In the western world, there is government interference preventing any company from getting dominance in important sectors like what happened with Microsoft. In China, there is no interference because they're on the same side.

If you do not want to be fed worthless scraps, then don't let them get dominance. Want another example? Diamonds. Once upon a time, it was either you sell it to De Beers or you don't sell it at all. De Beers determined the price and if you didn't agree, you wouldn't get anything.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
    Kuro_0ni and King0Mik like this.
  14. Tsukkin

Tsukkin [is currently lurking]

Reading List:
    Link
    *sigh* human's ambition is very scary....

15. cap.toon

cap.toon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I’m not familiar with their policy, however if that is true, wouldn’t QI pays a total price for the copyright of the product? Or should be. If not, they r ripping off authors.

If Qidian is as a tycoon as other says, it is pointless to be on Qidian just for exposure. Wouldn’t the author lose more?

Greedy humans’ ambition Is scary. Corporations r scary.

16. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    :cookie::cookie::cookie::cookie::cookie::cookie::cookie::cookie::cookie::cookie::cookie::cookie::cookie::cookie::cookie:
    let just wait and see how it will become
    :cookie::cookie::cookie::cookie::cookie::cookie:

17. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    You don't lose anything from posting on Qidian, just like you don't lose anything from posting in other sites.

If you sign a contract with Qidian, things do change of course, but... Well, you'll be getting paid if you sign a contract, so it is generally a good thing for the writer.

Qidian has a lot of problems for sure, but people wouldn't write on it in China if it wasn't profitable, they probably intend to do the same thing in the West. As long as it's profitable, authors will definitely join them.

18. Arcadia Blade

Arcadia Blade ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ You can do it!!

Reading List:
    Link
    Nigga what?! WTF man. I just restarted at wattpad due to having it more reliable in mobile but if qidian buys out Wattpad, where the fck do i write in mobile then?!

19. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    It's called assembly line novels.
    People want to pay $2.99 for books but what the books to go through professional editing and proofreading that cost up to $10,000.
    The masses have spoken, they want fast-food.
    Borders is gone, Barnes and Noble will be next.
    All hail the wonderful Amazon

20. Pietje1324

Pietje1324 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Not exactly the same though, both Wattpad and Webnovel have a very very deep hole of trash fics.
    Wattpad is renowned for the level of absurdity in teen fanfics it contains.
    Webnovel also has its fair share of mass-murdering idiots on wishfulfillment fantasies.
    Would combining those two result in more shit? I honestly don't know if that is possible.

On the assembly line part, even self published trash gets consumed by people preferring physical books, so there will always be some demand left. Amazon just found a way to basically monopolize books by how big their reach is and how easy they make publishing.