Question Thai novels

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Vico, Dec 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vico

Vico Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So, I wonder (maybe there's a very simple reason) : why doesn't anyone translate thai novels ? I mean, thai dramas are often subbed and thai dramas are often based on novels so doesn't anyone feel like reading it ? (I'd kill to read Jam Loey Rak or Kha Khong Khon, I'm even trying to learn Thai for that but first, I must focus on learning Chinese for my studies). Or is it because no one speaks Thai ?

2. Kuronairo

Kuronairo Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Probably because no one who speak thaï is a translator or found a novel he/she wants to translate

3. Haylias

Haylias Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's interesting because there's definitely no shortage of things on NovelUpdates being translated from English into Thai on other websites, but there's nothing flowing the other way. Maybe they figure there's no audience? I'd read a Thai novel for the novelty (hah) of it though, honestly.

Cosmic_ and Vico like this.
  4. CLaiRe

CLaiRe Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There's thai translated novels in wattpad, but mostly from novels that got made into dramas. So it's not much and most are not completed.

5. number 999

number 999 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    "monster soul online" is being translated right now.

6. Xiongace101

Xiongace101 Monkey

Reading List:
    Link
    ya but thats essentially the only thing thats being translated atm :blobawkward:

7. GDLiZy

GDLiZy Wise Deepsea Mermaid

Reading List:
    Link
    Maybe because people didn't really like the dramas that much, considering that Thai people themselves are kind of fed up with them too.

Also, classical Thai novels are just too hard to translate.

8. golfapichai

golfapichai Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I am from Thailand. From my opinion, not many Thail poeple are proficient in English, and the ones who are, they have other jobs to do, or translate from other languages to Thai instead. Because Thai novels only are famous in Thailand and foreigner who like them are very small(I guess), so there is no benefit doing that.

Jam Loey Rak = The Beloved Slave??? Jam Loey mean defendant in court but the context and meaning in this novel is more like abusive slave. Rak = love.
    Kha Khoong Kkon = The Value of Men?? Kha = value,precious. Knoong = of, Khon = man,people,human. It is the story about life,love, goodness which cannot be bought by money. Yep. that's difficult. I am not that good in English either.

9. Vico

Vico Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Sounds logical. Guess I’ll have to learn Thaï on my own:cry:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.