Discussion Are DAO PARTNERS considered Lead Characters?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by iamvectorious, Dec 11, 2018.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iamvectorious

iamvectorious Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Depending on Definition, Main Character is a Lead Character.
    How about sidekicks? or pets? or spirits or Masters? Are they considered Lead characters?
    And then the final question. Are DAO PARTNERS considered Lead Characters (In chinese wuxia/xianxia novels)? Even if they just show up to motivate the MC after being kidnapped or moved to his real clan or teleported in another dimension?

Can anyone enlighten me?

2. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    In XianXia, only MC is the lead character. Everyone else is either trash or a tool, nothing more, nothing less.

fuzor100, uziex91, Capsize and 11 others like this.
  3. Cupcake Ninja

Cupcake Ninja [Kind Sage][Lord Benevolence][ The Great Paragon]

Reading List:
    Link
    no but apart from the main cast it all depends on their importance to the story, whether or not they move along the plot in a way that makes them so crucial that certain events couldn't happen without then. A "lead" character is a "driving" character, a focus on some particular part of a story. Even if not the main or a main character of the story as a whole.

4. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    never see Dao Partner on same term as xuanhuan on wuxia tho
    if ya mean husbando or waifu then there should be plenty~

5. raltzero

raltzero Last Year Until BS in IT | Lazy Overlord TL

Reading List:
    Link
    Sidekicks, pets, spirits, and Masters are never considered lead characters. At best, they're a reoccuring side character that appears throughout the entirety of the novel. The same can be said for Dao Partners.

Unless the novel has multiple protagonists, never consider anyone besides the main character as the 'Lead Character'. They can be considered as popular characters though :^ )

6. iamvectorious

Reading List:
    Link
    So the argument is mainly the definition of what a LEAD Character is?

Is there ONLY ONE MAIN CHARACTER? If not, then are DAO PARTNERS considered a MAIN CHARACTER?

7. iamgboy08

iamgboy08 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    They are the supporting characters.. They are the characters needed to make the lead character move forward.. Lead characters can be more than one like in legend of the dragon king.. The friends of mc can be considered as lead characters..

8. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    If the purpose of the question is to know rather or not you should add a tag to a novel that talks about the lead character... Lead characters are essentially the Main Character and the Primary Love interest.

Everyone else is secondary.

9. Robbini

Robbini Logical? Illogical? Random? Or Just Unique?

Reading List:
    Link
    If they're as close to the MC as their future spouse, then they're likely to be pretty important. But if they're only for a few arcs, not so much

10. iamvectorious

Reading List:
    Link
    LIke most novels with characters termed as DAO PARTNER... there is only 1 DAO PARTNER in their whole life. So is the MC DAO partner considered an MC also?

11. juniorjawz

juniorjawz Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think you are just looking it at a whole 'nother level that's unnecessary in the story's context.

MC is MC and everyone else isn't. It's simple as that and you're taking dao to a whole 'nother topic.

How about this :
    Pokemon.
    > Ash and Pikachu.
    > The MC and his so called 'DAO PARTNER' (Your words not mine)

Who's the MC? Many among us will agree it is Ash. And trying to discuss that Pikachu is also an MC is like you trying to make a 'DAO PARTNER' (Your words not mine) the MC too.

12. Shibb

Shibb Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    At this point of the discussion, I shall point to tvtropes for an easy explanation. It's sometimes hard for readers to decide whether a character is part of the main cast or not (as some "main characters" never appear in person and is a main because of their absence/presence). If ever in doubt and you're talking about Chinese web novels, just look at the tags/character list that's nearly always present below the synopsis.

13. VixenKiss

VixenKiss Machiavelli the Princess

Reading List:
    Link
    No, they are not.
    If they were, then novels such as Grasping Evil would have well over 1,000 "main characters."

14. iamvectorious

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't know if you understand the term DAO PARTNER. :p
    But just to define, a DAO PARTNER is someone (a person) who the MC dual cultivates. If the MC is male then the DAO Partner is Female. The partner is also a cultivator with almost the same level of Cultivation.

In regards to Ash and Pikachu story. Obviously ASH and Pickachu are both MCs since they are both very important in the STORY. Even if they changed locations pikachu is always with him. Ash is the Main Character and Pikachu the Main Pokemon.

15. juniorjawz

Reading List:
    Link
    See, you called Pikachu an MC.

That alone is the reason no one wants to talk to you. Your way of seeing things is different.

Thank you for missing the sarcasm I put into my way of saying 'Dao Partners'. I expected it from you.

Also :
    20181211_130442.jpg

16. VixenKiss

VixenKiss Machiavelli the Princess

Reading List:
    Link
    Don't worry, I got it - pretty funny.

17. lehur

lehur ぼく愛エリス

Reading List:
    Link
    Many were confused lead character = the character that led the story, Dao Partners, its depend are her lead the plot along with MC or just there for being enough reason for MC (ex: get his cure 'if poison' or being object of revenge), even Que Xing in ISSTH hardly could be categorized as lead character (whole lot is Meng Hao only).
    So again many were confused because almost if not all, CN WN = greatly centered around MC, at least I never read a novel where Male and Female MC always together and the story revolved around two (somehow their missing, 1000 chapters after meets again, and along the way MC get many of jade skins) So almost no fully female lead
    So, just Female counterpart not lead

18. fuzor100

fuzor100 Standby mode...

Reading List:
    Link
    Dao partner that appeared 1000 chapter later. Yeah right. :blobsmirk::blobsmirk::blobsmirk:

19. iamvectorious

Reading List:
    Link
    I was asking the question if Dao Partners are considered Lead Characters. If you think they are then defend your answer.
    Many answered my question without problem.
    And I don't expect everyone to answer it. that is an impossible dream. :p
    I never answered the question myself that's why I asked it in the forum :p

My question was in relation to my conversation with another Wuxia read who pointed out that, in relation to "Chinese Novels" SOME seem to think that DAO Partners (in a Dual Cultivation system) is a special enough relationship to warrant the Dao Partner to elevate his/her status of importance to Lead Character. (not my opinion)

again regarding POKEMON story. why is it that even if they changed MC they still retained Pikachu? In all TV Series and Movies? Weird right? :p

20. juniorjawz

Reading List:
    Link
    Learn to read. I already did.

2nd and 3rd paragraph, same thing really. I don't really need to answer since I already answered it. You just need to read and understand properly.

If you need help, ask again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.