Question What's with the queerbaiting in novels like ORV and TNE?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Jatron, Dec 16, 2018.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Delirious

Delirious [Code of conduct]

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh ya, there is that as well, thanks for reminding me. Damnit.

2. Varno

Varno True Member

Reading List:
    Link
    To get female readers.

3. lordbeirut

lordbeirut Emperor of Perdition

Reading List:
    Link
    Destiel is hot as blazes though... xD

4. Blitz

Blitz ⛈️ awakened from the reverie❄️

Reading List:
    Link
    Gotta attract the fujioshis too~
    Those two aren't the only ones. Most kr novels these days seem to have it

5. Jatron

Jatron Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Thing is, it's something that joked/pointed out about in-world. It's not like people are going to the LCD and wildly speculating.
    Like sure, America is starved for the gay, and 2 girl/guys talking alone is the most we had. These 2 novels though have more toucing moments between 2 guys than some BL I've read.

clisenby likes this.
  6. Delirious

Reading List:
    Link
    But it's not BL and that's the point. Just because you're close and have "touching moments" doesn't mean it needs to be insinuated any other way, so when it is, it's cringey. Seriously, in the past a "bromance" was just a joke about two really close guys friends like like Turk and JD in Scrubs (basically where the original term even started); but then people, (99.99% girls) started to twist that into something that it's not. So now whenever I see the term, it's no longer what it meant in the past because now it has deeper (sexual) meaning to it. I've even seen fujoshi's asking for incestious "bromance" before.

Also, don't know how America could be starved from gay stuff. Let alone fujoshi's/yuri lovers. It's everywhere and now BL is updated more on a daily basis (in manga) then any other single genre. And on NU, CN and Isekai novels are the only thing updated more regularly then LGBT stuff.

But I digress. I'm not trying to say people can't imagine or think what they want. All I'm saying is, I don't go onto a BL novel and wish it had a straight romance in it. Or that, it's cute when two girls that are like sisters have "touching moments" and want it to be more sexual.

7. Raneday

Raneday Not Rane

Reading List:
    Link
  8. golfapichai

golfapichai Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I still has not read ORV yet but for me. Suho and Hajin are only friends. I like the prospect of original MC(Suho) is not jerk,useless,unimportant and MC(Hajin) is also not face-slapping type that steal everything from Suho. It only looks like bond/trust between them to me. Kim Suho might look at Hajin as a friend/rival/big brother. As for Hajin, he probably looks at Suho as the ideal person he can never be. He admires Suho, also probably think that it's a responsibility as creator to take care of him and way to go back. Just my opinion.

9. Jatron

Jatron Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think I might not be explaining my point well enough. Nothing is insinuated any other way because the damn side-cast make the homoerotic comments, not the fans. It's not 99.99% of girls twisting anything, it's explicitly stated in the novel by the author. The authors are the 99.99% of fangirls. By making the side cast speculate the sexual/romantic undertones of 2 guys relationship, it makes the reader question it as well.

Just because we get 1 cartoon show, a werewolf show, a reality competition, and Queer Eye,(which totals less than 4 hours of TV a week) is not like we're entering main act of the gay agenda. I would say that being so starved affects the amount of content posted online because you can't find it in regular media.

clisenby and compass96 like this.
  10. Delirious

Reading List:
    Link
    Lol, way to perpetuate and take things out of context. Also, nice way to blatantly ignore what I said about BL being uploaded so much. Cuz, that would mean your rhetoric about being "starved" is baseless. Ya want to know the irony of why gay stuff isn't mainstream as much as other stuff? Even from the left and far left that promote it? Hmmmmmm, maybe because the entire LGBT (not including supporters, so actual gay people etc) account for less then 1% of the total population. Yes, let's make as many movies, tv shows etc about gay people as we do everything else, genius! Marketing 101 for sure.

Lol to this tho: "not the fans. It's not 99.99% of girls twisting anything, it's explicitly stated in the novel by the author. The authors are the 99.99% of fangirls" so it's still 99.99% of fangirls, right?

Seriously tho, I get your point that the author is the one saying it, not the fan girls. My point is that, the author sexualizes friendship between guys because 99.99% of girls like seeing it and the reason for that is because it was twisted into something else, by them. Get it yet? It's basically fan-service, but forced. Kinda like SAO.

11. readerz

readerz Madam Jin

Reading List:
    Link
    I was reading a manhua when the artist suddenly wrote in her/his/their author's note that they were thinking of adding some "bait" to attract more readers since fujoshi are so passionate. :LOL: In other words, they want more readers and it's easy to bait fujushis+fudanshis (BL lovers).(y)

12. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks for saying what the OP was talking about~
    People like shipping characters and those 2 seem to go well together, that's all there is to it.

Just like how a SAO fan can ship Kirito and Shinon, a Yu Yu Hakusho fan can ship Yusuke and Kuwabara, and a Kenkyo fan can ship Reika-sama and Wakaba-chan. It doesn't matter if everyone knows the ship will never sail, part of the fun is shipping them by itself~

compass96, Moonpearl and Eques like this.
  13. Maelstrom08

Maelstrom08 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, the mc tries his best to specify the distance between anybody, so they rarely can open up to people. It makes it funny, since Yoo Jonghyuk just forces everything and Dokja can't do anything about it, while Kim Suho is too nice of a guy to let Dokja feel left out, especially since he probably is hist best friend.

14. Maelstrom08

Maelstrom08 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well theres Boss now, who seems to be a pretty plausible ship for Kim Hajin

15. Dizzcity

Dizzcity Watching generations of fans rise and fall away

Reading List:
    Link
    Hajin and Suho's bromance in The Novel's Extra is not that much different from Kirk and Spock's bromance in Star Trek. And people have been shipping that relationship (and writing gay/BL/slash fanfiction about it) since the 1960s.

Male platonic friendship is a thing, people. We've had it since Damon and Pythias, David and Jonathan, the Argonauts, the band of brothers...

16. pparg

pparg New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You're right, LGBTQ works are rare because LGBTQ people make up a small fraction of the population. That just confirms they are starved for content, though. The 1% is still made up of human beings, mind you, with a consciousness capable of establishing different tastes and preferences. It's completely justified to be "starved" for content that suits their tastes because there is just so little choose from. So naturally, they would turn to shipping and fan fiction for entertainment. But people shouldn't do that either because it makes you feel uncomfortable. So what do you want? You don't think there should be more LGBTQ works but you also feel the need to gatekeep how people interpret the relationship between two fake people part of a fake story fabricated for our entertainment lol.

Another thing, fan service geared towards the male audience is incredibly common in mainstream media (panty shots, harems, not to mention the grossly disproportionate female anatomy). That fan service is just as forced but no one is complaining. How come it's only when it's fanservice geared towards women that get this sort of reaction? Seems like some people just need to curb their hypocrisy smh.

17. SerialBeggar

SerialBeggar Hate your family? Got no friends? Gimme your stuff

Reading List:
    Link
    I guess it's time for this song again.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2021
    qpzmal likes this.
  18. linmeili

linmeili Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    What's wrong with a good bromance? I mean, look at classics like: