Discussion ORV moving to Qidian; How does Qidian work?

Discussion in 'Novel Discussion' started by puppytoe, Dec 18, 2018.

1. puppytoe

puppytoe Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So I just saw RainbowTurtle's announcement about moving ORV to Qidian, and I was wondering how exactly Qidian works? I was under the impression Qidian exclusively did chinese novels and ORV is a korean novel

Also, from my understanding, its a site that sells translated novel chapters online but is it pay per chapter? Will Rainbow continue working on the translations?

Any kind of positive explanations on this whole transition would be super appreciated!

2. Jarrow

Jarrow Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    "Qidian" "Positive explanations"
    Does Not Exist.

Summary: Be prepared to pay through the nose for any future reading. Once the novel gets copied over, RT will delete the 110 chapters and it will only be available via QI premium. Not really complex.

Since the series is currently ongoing, and there are more than 300 chapters, it will probably go premium for anything after ch110 for the next year. If it's popular enough, then the entire thing will go under paywall.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2018
  3. DocB

DocB "I see you, little mouse! Run along"

Reading List:
    Link

4. SoulZer0

SoulZer0 Heaven Refining

Reading List:
    Link
    Qidian works? Nah, you work for Qidian.

Sabruness likes this.
  5. Blitz

Blitz ⛈️ awakened from the reverie❄️

Reading List:
    Link
    Turtles post explained most of it already.
    Qidian bought shares in munpia and have already translated some of their novels. They outbid WW for the novel

6. anhrefn

anhrefn [NTR Sect Leader]       [True Ancestor]

Reading List:
    Link
    money talks

7. Blitz

Blitz ⛈️ awakened from the reverie❄️

Reading List:
    Link
    Omniscient readers viewpoint

anhrefn likes this.
  8. puppytoe

puppytoe Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yikes, sorry guys, I read her announcement through her patreon and didnt even actually read the one on the blog. It sounds like Rainbow is going to continue the translations as well, which is good though

9. Expatamoeba

Expatamoeba Have eyes but still couldn't see Mount Tai

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm still waiting for them to release Solo Leveling.

10. anhrefn

anhrefn [NTR Sect Leader]       [True Ancestor]

Reading List:
    Link
    meh, I don't read it anyway. Even if I want to read it someday, I can always read it on a pirate site

11. peanutbutter_J

peanutbutter_J Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Qidian strikess again hHahaah....
    Most of Qidian's translated novels are trash anyway.
    For this ORV either you shud give up or bite the bullet, this qidian will sucks you dry as dry as King Tut mummified balls.
    Good luck

Edit: i have just realize that Qi is webnovel now, this is a scam.

Causal Reader likes this.
  12. kaloo

kaloo Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    QI is primarily Chinese as they are an English language part of the larger China Reading, which also includes normal Qidian. They licensed the novel from Munpia, the Korean platform, which their parent company is an investor in.

Rainbow Turtle is remaining the translator in this case. Their pay rates aren't very good, part of the reason they have so many low quality translations, but they do pay their translators.

Some chapters are free but some require you to use their microtransaction currency (Spirit Stones) to read, particularly on more popular novels.

puppytoe likes this.
  13. Ai chan

Ai chan Queen of Yuri, Devourer of Traps, Thrusted Witch

Reading List:
    Link
    I have much respect for Rainbow Turtle's work and despite starting as a machine translator, her translations were very good. Of course I don't know how accurate her translations were since I can't read Korean. I can understand her decision to continue at webnovel and I wish her luck.

However, you ask if there's a positive explanation. I'm not sure what you're asking, but there is nothing positive to say about Qidian. Once a novel is hosted on Qidian, it's dead. They will milk it until it's no longer profitable, milk them a bit more, then let it die. All translators who work for them will work at minimum pay with a slave contract, then milked until they die. Same goes with their contracted originals stories.

They have a habit of milking every cow to death while claiming they have no cow.

Miserys_End and Sabruness like this.
  14. puppytoe

puppytoe Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Is Qidian responsible for Solo Leveling's translations?

15. puppytoe

puppytoe Member

Reading List:
    Link
    By positive explanations, I meant like a nontoxic way of telling me the situation. The situation itself doesnt sound too great though

16. Jigoku Shounen

Jigoku Shounen An Envoy From Hell

Reading List:
    Link
    Poor RB...She moved OG from GT to WW because she wanted to avoid Q....but now one of her beloved "child"(ORV) got "caught" by them so she is forces to work for them so her "child" won't be tainted(MTL quality).....:blobsad::blobcry:
    That's why we(the community) need to support WW so much.....they started out as a Fan-translation group turn to a Start-up Publishing Company, while Q is already a Big Name in China and has the backing of their "Big Boss" Tencent....they can get all the money they need whenever they need "to do something with money"...:blobdevil:
    You are asking a Dang Hard Request here....but fine, here's the short summary
    • Q = Biggest Publishing/Hosting Platform Company in China
    • QI: They are reaching out to International Community, so they added "International" to their name as 1st, but their "ambition" didn't just stop as CN novels, so they changed to "Webnovels" to get novels from other countries as well. Tencent,their Big Boss, got shares in Munpla, so for now they are reaching out to KR novels through Munpla, the largest hosting platform/publishing company in KR
    • ORV was a novel that RB was planning to move to WW. But Q got their eyes on it because of the Great Popularity that RB(a Big name in the Community) brought out to the Community, so they also bid for it because it's a Munpla novel. Since they could get all the Money they need from both their businesses in China and their Boss Tencent, so they outbid WW, a Former Fan-translation group that turned to Publishing Company(obviously....:blobpensive:).
    • RB could have just let them had the novel and be done with it, but with Q was already known for their MTL quality which pumped out chapters like Factory Machine, and because she had already worked on ORV for good amount of times now to view it as her "child", so she didn't want Q "to butcher" it. And in the end, she signed a (slave) contract "to work" with Q on ORV.
    • Munpla told Q to make premium for all their KR novels after 40 chapters, so now ORV in Q will also suffer the same fate.
    • The "pirates" will have to add one more "spoil" to their "treasure list"

Last edited: Dec 18, 2018
  17. Loni4ever

Loni4ever The Fluffy White Wolf

Reading List:
    Link
    That's sad.... I sure don't know everything there is to know about Q, but from what I've seen it's really ..... ..... it's like Q is tainting its novels by the way they act. At this point I don't even wanna consider reading novels if they're from Q :l

gauthamc and Causal Reader like this.
  18. puppytoe

puppytoe Member

Reading List:
    Link
    @Jigoku Shounen I really appreciate the huge summary you just made for us

19. checkm8

checkm8 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Dimensional Sovereign has also shown up on Webnovel. Hopefully, Rainbow Turtle made some money to move the completed novel there. It was previously removed from her site due to a takedown request from Munpia.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2018
  20. Atros

Atros Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Feel like this should be posted any time people are lamenting a novel moving to QI... [Redacted - Piracy is piracy]. Easy reading, epubs available, the works. Exclusively takes QI Premium novels as a matter of protest, rather'n just being a blind aggregator site out for money (being a sub, it makes exactly nothing money-wise).

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 23, 2018