LCD The Amber Sword

Discussion in 'Latest Chapter Discussion' started by Yuki, Mar 6, 2016.

1. Slightly Canted

Slightly Canted Grey Warden

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes.

2. Arexio

Arexio Blob Fanatic | AG Player

Reading List:
    Link
    :blobsad:

3. Crimshine

Crimshine x399 %993

Reading List:
    Link
    *Pat pat* don't worry I like it too even if I don't know how much he changes the story

Arexio and Slightly Canted like this.
  4. Slightly Canted

Reading List:
    Link
    This is exactly why I stopped reading. He let us see how he changed one scene of the story and it was completely different from what the author intended. Wolfie was not trying to be a bad translator but he simply just didn't understand what the author intended with that scene. I understood what the author intended, not because I speak Chinese but because It wasn't difficult to figure it out in the context of how all these other Chinese webnovel authors talk.

So basically, Wolfie's translations are limited by his own ability to understand the text. Which would be fine if he didn't erase things and add things in to suit his own taste.

I appreciate Wolfie's efforts to translate this story and I'm not trying to say he is a bad translator. I am only saying that I personally don't like his way of translating.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
    Justcallmejust likes this.
  5. EricBannen

EricBannen √[To Read or Not to Read]

Reading List:
    Link
    Honestly, I am done with the petty personalities of MC's...
    How many KR MC's think that being good is a liability...
    Those MC's are scum juct like the Chinese MC scum who think that being evil and a terrible person is the only way one can live in this world...
    Since Wolfie has made the MC better I would rather read his work...
    I would rather not read things where the MC would stand aside and watch a character get raped just cuz he feels the strong can do anything they like...
    Such stories have made me hate many of the Chinese and Korean authors whose views of the world are twisted and are real evil for the society (since they influence people's mindsets)...
    So, you can just go sod off to those twisted personalities and leave Wolfie who is doing such an amazing job...

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
    Arexio likes this.
  6. canaria23

canaria23 『  』

Reading List:
    Link
    It was mentioned a while back that players can't get exp. From normal human npcs or else you'll see people slaughtering villagers if I remembered correctly.

7. Slightly Canted

Reading List:
    Link
    1) Well, this can go 1 of 2 ways. The first is simple; stop reading novels you don't like. We all live happily ever after. The end. The second is more complicated by half. Actually, way more than half, like an order of magnitude times infinity.

2) Briefly, just so you have a general (this doesn't cover everything) understanding of why these MC's and the novels are the way the are. China is NOT a free country. The Chinese don't have many of the freedoms that you take for granted. Such as freedom of speech, for example. That influences the authors (who live in this environment).

The end. There is much, much more to it but this was only supposed to be a brief anyway. If you still don't understand the underlying point then you're likely too young and nothing else I say will matter anyway.

3) You're actually pointing towards censoring people's ideas. This is extremely dangerous territory.

4) How do you know it's Wolfie and not the original author?

EricBannen likes this.
  8. Astaroth

Astaroth empty

Reading List:
    Link
    You don't, unless you check the raws.

But what does it matter? Either you like it or you don't (You even mentioned this yourself in point #1, lol?), it's not like anyone actually cares who wrote it.

For example, Warlock of the Magus World is literally plagiarized of Wizard World, but does anyone give a shit? WMW is leagues better.

Personally I liked most of the things Wolfie did, I wasn't a fan about the change to Dragon of Darkness though. (I've checked most of the mentioned changes, and already read ahead with LNMTL.)

And of course, there's probably plenty of things I didn't notice since I didn't actually bother to read exactly everything twice.

Arexio likes this.
  9. EricBannen

Reading List:
    Link
    I like it that you took what I said more rationally than a Chinese MC...

Also, though I understand that people feel repressed...yet it does not mean one just ends up being a douchebag...

I could stop reading such novels but then I would not know about it, since, the MC usually becomes evil in like a few chapters without any prior indication... Thus, I have not been able to avert such tragedies...
    I could read reviews... But there are a few who just bad mouth everything and this makes it a difficult proposition...

Would you have your kid or future kid read any of the Jap 18+ stuff here on NU...
    Or would it not bother you if your kid ended up reading something like Epoch of Twilight or Wizard World or A Sorcerer's Journey or Advent of the Archmage???

How do I know what Wolfie has changed stuff ... Well there are a few Chinese readers who put up the changes along with the original in the comments...

Arexio likes this.
  10. Vincent1873

Vincent1873 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    What was the change? I remember Wolfie was gonna change the elf language to French or something because he didn't think that people could create a language to his satisfaction or something like that which I thought was ridiculous. Thankfully that went up to a poll and everyone rejected it.

11. Astaroth

Astaroth empty

Reading List:
    Link
    He changed the convo, which wasn't that big of a deal really, but the reason was because in his opinion Dragon of Darkness was the big bad evil boss or whatever, even though Dragon of Darkness was more like a vilified anti-hero from what I've gathered.

p.s. Dragon of Darkness/Darkness Dragon isn't to be confused with Dragon of Twilight/Twilight Dragon which is the source of chaos or whatever. (Opposite of mother marsha.)

12. Vincent1873

Vincent1873 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This is pretty much exactly what I was doing. I was about to ask that.

13. chucke

chucke Going towards the glorious future

Reading List:
    Link
    Did he really? DoD did not look that evil in the translation...

14. Astaroth

Astaroth empty

Reading List:
    Link
    the actual change of the conversation was that originally brendel had more of a say in the matter. Let's say the main difference between the two was that originally Brendel and DoD made a deal, but in the translation DoD forced the deal upon Brendel.

It's been a while so I don't remember it completely, but like I think I said, it wasn't even the change itself that stood out but rather Wolfie's reason for changing it.

I mean if you compare it with something else, like that blind woman Yula or whatever the wife of Eke? is... Anyway... Originally the blind woman "looked" at MC and "stared", and iirc there was something about how she saw Brendels expression or whatever, which would obviously be impossible as she's blind.

So that made perfect sense to rewrite.

Brendel giving orders by mouth in a huge battlefield -> Brendel using flags and signs to pass on commands.

Impossible movements. etc. Wolfie really fixed a lot of these stupid but minor annoying moments that can break one's immersion.

Justcallmejust and Arexio like this.
  15. EricBannen

Reading List:
    Link
    Why do these Chinese and Korean authors pull out names whose background was never ever mentioned and describe things in a matter-of-factly ... Eg: the third son of Sipid and the Nineth rank sword flew to Potato-land and never came back... Where we have no clue who is Sipid , who is the Sword and what is Potato-land...

16. silentwolfie

silentwolfie Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Number of things to address...

Actually, the true reason for deal exchange into forced deal is to justify any strange future Brendel's OOC.

Remember the time when he went into the silver mine? The original text had Brendel not helping out the young workers and even blames them for causing the earthquake, even when he was the one who told them where to mine and indirectly causing it. That's out of character imo (leads refugees safely away from Madara, rescues Sifrid).

In order to explain why Brendel would choose to justify to abandon people/do strange things, I choose to make it where DoD comes in looking like an evil person (he was repeatedly villified in history, and his original character was perceived as arrogant by at least 1 major character.), and had Brendel thinking of following his footsteps if even a little, so as to justify said OOC. I don't intend to change any further OOC Brendel if it ever happens again with this change in place.

To add on, I finally skimmed through the text for another plot point, and to search for references to DoD as well. It seemed like he arbitarily forced things to happen in the War of the Holy Saints, which imo is a far more fitting character disposition for DoD for being arrogant. Forcing the deal instead of negotiating makes more sense to me.

Honestly, if there's anything I did wrong, I should have actually enforced this position onto Brendel even more so that I can make a foreshadow reference to another area which I am now...

Oh. Hi there. Please allow me to split into two modes. Reader mode, and Editor mode.

Reader mode

Are you ####ing kidding me? This? THIS is the truth behind XXX and YYY!? **** OFF. ****KKKKKKKKKKKKK!!!!

Oh my $$$$ing god. There's so much bitterness in my mouth from reading this ****ing information. ****ing character XYZ is such a ****ing ****! The level of selfish **** is just so 4acking bitter! ****! Such regret......asdqweqweasioud.

Editor mode

Ahem. Right... So, editor mode. Ahem. How to fix errors and connect the dots, yeah, and allow readers to experience things as they are.

I think I have enough context to make a reasonable understanding on stuff, but oh boy, I'm not entirely sure how the readers will take it in after 50%, let alone to the part where I finally reach 90% of the novel, SMH. Oh well, let's see how it goes, though I'll issue a warning on where to stop reading because quality takes a nose-dive.

The only planned major edits after skimming through all the way are foreshadowing moments and describing the 'truth' as it is, with minor edits on cutting out as much word padding as possible.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2018
    gangbuntu, Arexio, Astaroth and 3 others like this.
  17. madness-

madness- The Wanderer

Reading List:
    Link
    can you make glossary about something that you edited from the raw ? :aww:

18. Dart

Dart Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks for your hard work on this! This novel is so much more better than others because you put hard work and improve the story to make it more consistent and enjoyable.

19. silentwolfie

silentwolfie Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    To be honest I haven't update my glossary since whenever, but here's what I have.

http://www.wolfiehonyaku.com/glossary/

Some of the words are broken because I accidentally saved it in the wrong format. Never got to fixing them lol. Also no guarantee on accuracy, things got bigger and bigger until I can't really maintain it anymore.

madness- likes this.
  20. Olbid

Olbid Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The novel is being heavily edited ( and it's good this way ) if you don't like it just dont read or go read the MTL. If you are good enough to spot said edits, why are you reading the translated version?

Arexio likes this.