Discussion Yuri or Yaoi

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by SnowdropLily, Dec 27, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Stephanie1399

Stephanie1399 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I agree, I read yaoi for the story. Haven't liked the story in the yuri I have read but maybe I read the wrong ones.

2. Netto Azure

Netto Azure Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yuri on Ice duh

3. Cuddles0_0

Cuddles0_0 (>^∆^)> Xtra Whipped Cream Translations <(^∆^<)

Reading List:
    Link
    Yaoi because Yuri hits me in the singledom *does a little cursing in my heart* #just_get_eaten_by_zombies

4. AryaX

AryaX Less-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yuri.. because.. ? I am gynephilic and as such, yaoi just doesn't work for me.. ?

5. Aegis21

Aegis21 Hiki wanna be

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm okay with yuri and wish to exterminate yaoi

Sabruness and Kingloli229 like this.
  6. Jiggy

Jiggy I am JiggyliFAP~ the not fat anymore guy.

Reading List:
    Link
    Death by murder or death by suicide. Nah. I'm fine choosing furries at this rate since it's just like choosing how to die.

7. Loni4ever

Loni4ever The Fluffy White Wolf

Reading List:
    Link
    Yaoi, most likely. I just like BL more for some reason... and there's more stuff to read.
    I haven't read that much yuri so I'm not too sure about it but yaoi on the other hand can get, like.... shitty.... including very dubious consent or just blatant rape (oftentimes even treated as no big deal at all). However, there are gems as well, like QWtFoD owo
    Lol maybe I'll take a look at yuri novels soon, I've kinda had enough of this semi noncon crap in a lot of BL or het novels... hopefully yuri will be better >w> *prays to the almighty unicorn* xD

Moonpearl and Anra7777 like this.
  8. Evil_Ginger

Evil_Ginger 『Lawful Neutral』『Cheese Master』『安德鲁』

Reading List:
    Link
    Eh...more of a vanilla kind of guy, here. I recently have been reading some yuri, but yaoi is odd to me.

Then I find out my mom is watching those Korean yaoi dramas. And she wants to talk to me about them.

Well...now I can hit her with the "I don't care, please stop talking about it" like she does to me when I talk about my new video game or anime.

9. Anra7777

Anra7777 All powerful magic grammar hamster queen pirate.

Reading List:
    Link
    Yaoi. As I get older, I get increasingly fed up with non and dub con, but there’s still plenty of yaoi that’s good. I’ll occasionally read yuri manga, but I’m really not that interested. Yaoi is hot, yaoi is life.

10. I_am_Chinadian

I_am_Chinadian Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I prefer Yaoi mainly cuz I haven’t tried Yuri yet. Idk the thought of two men together sounds hotter than two women for me. :blobtongue:

RottenApple and Anra7777 like this.
  11. Tfuinsah

Tfuinsah Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes. Just yes.

12. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    Any is fine, I personally prefer GL because I like the art-style tends to fit my taste more, but... They're mostly the same, so it doesn't matter that much.
    This is a lie, you clearly never read yuri.

Almost all GL mangas/novels are aimed at a female audience. Both BL and GL are basically shoujo with a slight change, so of course the intended audience are girls.

Only GL I ever read with intended male audience are R-18 doujinshis, which are for that audience for obvious reasons... Anything else was basically shoujo with 2 girls instead of 1 guy and 1 girl.

Donutmindme and Moonpearl like this.
  13. Yandere Devil

Yandere Devil QUEEN OF YURI- Love GL

Reading List:
    Link
    Actually there are many good untranslate Chinese yuri novel, it's just there aren't yuri translate compare to yoai translate which had lot of female translate who is fujoshi.

I recommend few good yuri new Chinese
    Female general and elder princess it's slow romance, focus more on military and politic.
    The General’s Manor Young Concubine Survival Report - funny, sweet, history short novel

14. Moonpearl

Moonpearl Professional Yuri Girl ❀ [Yuri Garden Creator]

Reading List:
    Link
    Yuri. I used to prefer yaoi, and I do still like it, but I enjoy yuri a lot more now. Undoubtedly that's a little bit due to subjective reasons - I like men but prefer women, reading it can remind me of my girlfriend, and I have more people to discuss yuri with than yaoi.

But I think there are plenty of reasons to like yuri. For one, many people complain that women make men in BL act like women when they write them. That doesn't happen in yuri because everyone is already a woman.

Secondly, many women who read BL at some point say they wish they could be a seme, and are disappointed that they can't because they're not men. With yuri, there's nothing stopping such women being the seme - they only need to have a little confidence and be bold!

I also enjoy the fresh and interesting narratives that come out of it. Part of what attracted me to BL in the first place was that, when both love interests are the same gender, the tiresome gender roles and stale romance tropes either disappear or are forced to lose their sexist meanings. But women are often still shafted in BL.
    In yuri, women take centre roles and are usually pretty active. Characters who should become passive, pretty arm candy for the male protagonist get to overturn the entire plot by refusing them and going after the villainess, or eloping with another harem member, or pursuing whatever lady takes their fancy, really. Cool warrior women also don't have to suddenly start playing second fiddle to an ill-trained man just to make the protagonist look more masculine, either.

Really, who wouldn't be interested in a story that took a twist and turned out like this?:
    bowsettesmall.png

mir, Sabruness, AliceShiki and 3 others like this.
  15. Melina Red

Melina Red Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yuri because it's so cute, heartwarming, sweet and more adorable than yoai.
    Hope we get more chinese novel.

16. Sabruness

Sabruness Cultured Yuri Connoisseur

Reading List:
    Link
    +1
    I think on the whole, Yuri has the ability for broader appeal. plus:

Yuri = Cuteness.
    Cuteness = Justice

thus....
    Yuri = Justice

Ddraig, Moonpearl, Loni4ever and 3 others like this.
  17. Kingloli229

Kingloli229 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I couldn't agree anymore

18. Adislt2

Adislt2 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If i forced to choose , i choose yuri but in shoujo ai level
    I have only one question, why whenever i said i refuse to read or i i dislike yaoi, i always get insulted as homophobe?
    Are people that not homophobe must be enjoy and love to watch or read graphic sexual intercourse between two men?

Ddraig and Yandere Devil like this.
  19. Anra7777

Anra7777 All powerful magic grammar hamster queen pirate.

Reading List:
    Link
    I can’t imagine why anyone would accuse you of being homophobic for simply saying you didn’t want to read it. Perhaps you said it in a manner that others interpretated as homophobic? Such as, saying it was disgusting, or something like that?

Japorea, mir, Moonpearl and 2 others like this.
  20. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    Some people are extremists, you like what you like and have no reason to dislike what you don't like~

You should just ignore anyone that has this kind of opinion IMO~

Do try to keep in mind the way you say it if anything I guess? Anra7777's explanation might be it too after all~

Sabruness and Anra7777 like this.