Discussion Asian Novels Craze death already?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Lyase, Dec 30, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lyase

Lyase Caelum Codex

Reading List:
    Link
    It doesn't seems last long, barely any comments here and reddit.

2. Kuro_0ni

Kuro_0ni Cocooned in a Life transition

Reading List:
    Link
    Do you mean the hype for Asian novels?

Expound on your post please, it would help to get your point across. And then we can discuss what issues prevail in this period of time.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2018
    Avagantimos, AkeShiro and Cosmic_ like this.
  3. Zerses

Zerses Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    All the casuals get tired quick when seeing 2k chapter novels

4. LeakLeaf

LeakLeaf Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    pls clarify what you mean by this I don't understand

McNoodle, AkeShiro, Cosmic_ and 2 others like this.
  5. Mr Pancakes

Mr Pancakes Well-Known Pancake

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, I have been here for almost 3 years now and have read a lot of novels.
    Lately I realized I have already finished most of the novels I find interesting and am reading only MW, ED and DH so I am spending much less time here. There is also the fact that I have a life now and no time to read novels for 5+h/d.

6. Kingloli229

Kingloli229 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Do you mean the craze for Asian novels coming to an end. Other wise if not you need to explain on what ever you mean.

Cosmic_ and Nusan like this.
  7. Nusan

Nusan Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    well you see not everybody sit in front of computer all day for forum

8. Mazino

Mazino The final chapter.

Reading List:
    Link
    If you mean has the Asian novel craze died, then yes there’s nothing new left, the magic is done, all that’s left is the same emptiness we felt with our novels and content. Turns out shit taste transcends cultures. This is as good as it gets. Now we wait until Arabian Webnovels or Filipino sock puppets catch out intrigue. That’s all folks

9. DocB

DocB "I see you, little mouse! Run along"

Reading List:
    Link
    You give those culture too much credit! The next big thing is alien radio novels. All great radiotelescope are pointing to the stars and trying to translate other species stories for our amusenent. Translation would be faster if only we had an 4-dimensional language

flannan, Cosmic_ and Geor like this.
  10. Feng Tian

Feng Tian Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Not too surprising. Once you have read ~3 you have read all of them. One Isekai and the genre is dead, one xianxia and the genre is dead, slap on another kr novel and you are almost done. After that you quickly beginn to see the similarities which eventually turn into stupid tropes. And once it reaches that point, which is around the 6 novels mark if you are reading quality and not trash like ATG, SOTR etc, they begin to be boring.
    It doesn't help that many of them are inherently flawed. Be it because the payment system is a mess, because the original culture its based on is a mess or because, in the end, its not a proper novel.

Cosmic_ and Kingloli229 like this.
  11. TianKrea

TianKrea 『Novice』

Reading List:
    Link
    It has been 3 years since I started reading Asian novels and I have to say I am no longer interested in them as before. I see a new and popular novel, read it and repeat the same process. Though I have to say Reverend Insanity was a huge shock for me as I didn't expect that I would still get so excited about a novel lol.

readerz and Cosmic_ like this.
  12. Otwentyfirst

Otwentyfirst skillfully clueless // lazy book reader ;)

Reading List:
    Link
    do you mean to say the Asian novel craze in the English or other not Asian markets are dead? or perhaps the online popularity of web novels written by Asian authors. also Id like to say, just because you don't see it discussed in the places you visit, doesn't mean it's dead. whilewhi that subject, since when was there ever a craze?

13. Avagantimos

Avagantimos Chosen Undead|Bearer of the Curse|Ashen One

Reading List:
    Link
    MOAR INFO PLEASE

14. Kagamiya

Kagamiya I Wish to be Reincarnated

Reading List:
    Link
    We have come into the declining period I presume.

15. Guyver

Guyver Bio-Booster Armor

Reading List:
    Link
    Wouldn't everyone be reading the novels instead of commenting :rolleyes:

16. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    The craze will only die if people stop fornicating and having kids.
    Neither is going to happen.
    As the novelty wears off for us the pioneers, new weebos are born everyday.
    The actor for the Night Fall TV adaptation was born in the year 2000.
    Crap, I feel old

Kuro_0ni likes this.
  17. rolan

rolan Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You are talking about yourself, but you project it on everybody. There was no craze, it's all in your head, Asian novels are such a niche you'd barely see it if you were not deep into the otaku subculture.

IlkatSumil likes this.
  18. Lyase

Lyase Caelum Codex

Reading List:
    Link
    I mean after RWX translation coiling dragon, chinese novels in the west become extremely popular even overshadowing the japanese now.

Now the hype is gone, barely anyone is discussing here.

It remember me of an extremely popular asian site where you can discuss tv series of Korea,China,Hong Kong etc in the 2005-2011 and many other stuff then after that the site die with barely any discussion for some reason.

19. Kuro_0ni

Reading List:
    Link
    I think its a good period for the hype to trail down, before its rises again. The "craze" or "hype" was propagated by the fans of a particular series.

Right now I think the community is either in a migratory time or are going through a lull (burnout).

Much to the advent of the Japanese Manga - boom in the early 2000s. (03-08)
    Web Novels started gaining a following with places like Baka-Tsuki and Bato.to Forums.

Baka-Tsuki's flagship Fan Translators brought about titles like "The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya" and "Spice & Wolf"
    But much to the golden years of Baka-Tsuki's Fan translating community, the DMCA purges (2014-2016) really chased away many readers

Bato.to Forums had been a gathering place for western audiences to find titles of the web novel and light novel styles.
    The forums closed down sometime this year and the domain was bought out and became an aggregator (full of ads too)

Then you have the Sub-Reddits LightNovels & Noveltranslations
    There was a time when "LightNovels" directed people to JP, CN, KR series. Then there was a fallout. And now many series are being directed on "Noveltranslations". Making LightNovels strictly a place for discussions on just JP Light novel series.

Here's the funny thing, the community really was splintered. So finding a place was hard.

Tony created Novel Updates Directory & Novel Updates Forums back in 2015. So you had a community that migrated from all over gather over here on NU.

20. Kuro_0ni

Reading List:
    Link
    Now we also have grown from the past, the Fan translation Community has actually moved towards a Business translation Community.

But the biggest move in this communities history was when a big name publisher created waves. Much bigger than Kadokowa & Yen Press.
    See JP publishers don't branch out, they just hold onto their intellectual property.

I'm not going to explain the Entire History of China Reading aka China Literature actions towards the reading community (there's archives).

But within this last year and this year as well. The Community has been migrating to places they feel comfortable. NUF has been the neutral ground for a lot of fights, and I think the mods went through hell, just to maintain civility here.

It's just now, a lot of Translating groups & companies have their own dedicated discussion boards. Wuxiaworld has its forums, Volare sees a lot of community traffic on its Discord. And Qidian basically has made their own platform for its own content. Those are just the most prominent translating groups.

NuF still sees a lot of discussion, but it will be from readers of independent translators or from lesser known titles.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2018
    Otwentyfirst likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.