Discussion CN power systems are wierd

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Event_horizon, Dec 31, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Event_horizon

Event_horizon Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I tried reading CN before but I just can't understand how that whole cultivation thing that they are talking about. I mean sure meditation is important and all that but why is it that when they reach the next level they suddenly just know things they don't know anything about just a second ago. Is it like in a bundle when you level up? Why is flight mandatory? Even beast can talk human language and fly even though they don't need to.

2. ElefantVerd

ElefantVerd It's not me, and it's not you.

Reading List:
    Link
    Tropes....

Cosmic_ likes this.
  3. samjack

samjack Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    you are courting death!

Cosmic_, LtBeefy and naghi32 like this.
  4. Rufi-sidd

Rufi-sidd When the wolves come out to play!

Reading List:
    Link
    Lol perhaps the fantasy world isn't suppose to be made sense of you know.....

Cosmic_, yorozuyaginchan and otaku31 like this.
  5. Lirikan

Lirikan [Charming Mollusca] [Cephalopoda Gentleman]

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah that a very good,profound and educational quetion you got there bruh.

6. LtBeefy

LtBeefy Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Generally its the opposite. They need 2 understand in order 2 level up. Not they level up and then instantly know things

Edit
    Also, i mean compare it to american way of power up. Get bitten by radioactive bug/animal, fall into something radioactive, or be an alien who gets powered up by earth sun. Go through a traumatic experience and instantly awaken powers

Dont think we can complain and say they are weird

kamisusano, Drake98, Cosmic_ and 6 others like this.
  7. fuzor100

fuzor100 Standby mode...

Reading List:
    Link
    What's wrong with talking animal? JP and KN also have talking animals? :blobhero:

otaku31 likes this.
  8. ughughugh

ughughugh Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    -meditation is sad attempt of connecting to Chinese lore
    -I have no idea what you mean when you say they know new things when they progress to a new level
    -Flight isn't mandatory, it's a troops for xianxias which is again loose interpretation of things like flying immortals in chinese lore
    -Beast dont necessarily talk a human language rather than a verbal language most of the time, which is because their mind progress with their body,through cultivation

Don't immediately group together all CN novels as cultivation novels. That's like me saying all JP novels are travel to another world novels.

9. Green Apple

Green Apple Actually I'm secretly an orange.

Reading List:
    Link
    And who doesn't want to fly, right? It's a no brainer what to choose: to walk or to fly around (when you are able to fly)

otaku31 likes this.
  10. Warlock Of The Void

Warlock Of The Void Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    While I get what u r saying with novels like Immortal Mortal takont this trope yo the next level it isn't as simple . Most novels don't do a good job explaining the system and what it is to be done by meditation , they understand new things because as they level up there brain works faster think of it like updating both hardware and software of a computer
    I won't comment on flight part as I don't know what the problem with that is
    As for animals talking it's the same thing with humans new levels better hardware software
    The things we should question is how the fuck do they talk while moving and fighting at beyond the speed of sound
    Edit : Additionally if u want a well explained good cultivation novel then try this

11. otaku31

otaku31 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think the answer can be traced back to the myths of their culture. Beast taking human form, and capable of human speech are not that uncommon in any folklore. Even in Indian legends we have innumerable tales of sages gaining enlightenment/immortality through meditation and wielding great power. So I never really found it weird.

P.S. Even the "Qi" fundamental to cultivation is referenced to in many cultures, though it may be addressed alternatively as Ki, Mana, Aether, etc.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2019
    Cosmic_ likes this.
  12. tahzib1451

tahzib1451 Title?is it food?

Reading List:
    Link
    i no see Batman or Iron Man in these catalogue of yours.....

Cosmic_ likes this.
  13. Event_horizon

Event_horizon Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well to be fair the only CN that I went over the 20 chapter mark is coiling dragon and the other I barely made it past 10 chapters

Can you inform me of the classifications of CN?

14. WinByDying

WinByDying I can count to four

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes.

15. telobakar

telobakar Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    its fantasy
    i think its better than vague myth
    and if it is rationalized again the genre become sci fi

16. Amberion

Amberion Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's his blessing that young master will kill him.

17. forecast

forecast [Batoto Veteran] [sakurahana veteran]

Reading List:
    Link
    Agreed, its mostly spiritual enlightenment; meaning they unravel the chains of the world thereby strengthening themselves in the process.
    The other type of power up is by purely condensing "power/qi/any other types of energy they name" and making it denser and purer making the body like a battery.
    (or both types at the same time)
    The talking thing though, even the crowd talks faster than they hit, even ones who have little to no cultivation at all can perfectly describe those so called high speed spectacular fights XD

otaku31 likes this.
  18. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link

It's called enlightenment, and lots of drugs.

Jasad likes this.
  19. Aternus

Aternus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Replace cultivation with Level and Classes and Skills, and it'll all suddenly make sense.

flannan likes this.
  20. Lazriser

Lazriser Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I shall enlighten your ignorant self lest you offend an expert cultivator such as myself.
    1. Your first mistake is how human cultivators comprehend the Dao and their Dao. Cultivators essentially cultivate Qi (in general) to refine the body, and eventually the mind and lastly the spirit. The heart is refined through experience rather than Qi. When they properly cultivate the body, mind, spirit and exceptionally the heart; the Dao is said to be closer to them. This allows them to comprehend said Dao and form their own Dao to breakthrough their cultivation realm using Qi as energy, body as external vessel, mind as flow, spirit as internal vessel, heart as source. When they reach a higher realm of cultivation, naturally the Dao is inches closer to them as their own Dao becomes more defined with extensions to additional definitions that complement their Dao.
    2. Your second mistake is underestimating the need of flight. To fly is to soar the skies and eventually the heavens. To be unhindered and free. If a human cultivator can't fly by themselves, they are bound to die since flying is a means of movement. Movement via teleportation, flight, or levitation. Teleportation requires understanding the Dao of Space, if not Space-time, as flight requires no Dao except a high cultivation realm enabling the cultivator to fly or levitate in mid-air. Cultivators that use treasures or external forces for this three movements are essentially weaker than most cultivators and have a higher risk of dying being unable to teleport, fly, or levitate away from danger.
    3. Your third mistake is overestimating beasts. Beasts able to communicate verbally or telepathically are demon beasts (in general). Demon beasts cultivate from the moment they are born and are naturally expose to the Dao as their beastly nature complements the Dao. Their bodies are different from humans, as they naturally absorb Qi from their surroundings unlike most humans. Demon beasts cultivate slower than humans due to their lack of comprehension towards the Dao but their beastly characteristics is a great advantage to them against peers of the same cultivation realm.
    You can ask questions if you're still confused. Also, these are human and demons in general as some cultivation stories have different laws of nature established upon humans and demons, with reincarnated cultivators and supreme beings are exceptions to such laws of nature.

Khatulistiwa and Shiro-kun like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.