The Launch of Scribble Hub!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Tony, Jan 1, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. huvudtix3

huvudtix3 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    @Tony How is this any different to the other (very established) writing platforms like fanfiction.net etc? Not to say that I am not excited but just curious.

2. rapture_edge

rapture_edge Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Nice... Looks like theres a new site for me to post my story!

Silver Snake likes this.
  3. Bonnie L. Price

Bonnie L. Price Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I dunno about other authors, but using multiple web serial sites isn't really an option unless there's a way to bulk upload chapters (talking about people like myself who have been posting elsewhere for 1-2+ years already.)
    What pro author has time to upload dozens or hundreds of chapters 1-by-1? '-'

Donutmindme and huvudtix3 like this.
  4. Arcturus

Arcturus Cat, Hidden Sith Lord

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, that seems like an important tool for @Tony to work on

5. Mufarasu

Mufarasu Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't feel like reading this entire thread, but was it answered if Tony is going to migrate (or something) the community fictions from here to the scribble hub?

6. Arcturus

Reading List:
    Link
    Pretty sure that's a no. He can't really move content like that without permission from the author.

*Pokes @Tony *

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2019
  7. Tony

Tony Moderator Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes, I would prefer to keep them separate aside from NU shamelessly advertising https://www.scribblehub.com/. Thanks!

It's bugged but it's an easy fix that should be quick. I'll fix it in a bit. Thanks for the bug report.

It is confusing but I'm not sure if force numbering is the route to go but that's something to think of. Thanks for the suggestion!

Different in terms of features? https://www.scribblehub.com/ is more of "What if NU had an original platform"? You'll see pretty much every feature on NU for https://www.scribblehub.com/ plus more. As for my plans to help it grow + other things, I explained it a bit in my original post: https://forum.novelupdates.com/threads/the-launch-of-scribble-hub.79471/

I understand that not everyone wants to post on a new site that hasn't established itself yet though so it's okay.

It would probably be better if a third party did it.

Nope. You'll have to migrate your own story over. Sorry.

The "read" button does send you to the last chapter you've read if that story is in your reading list. A bookmark option for chapters exists too. Nevermind, you said bookmark "part" of a chapter. I thought you were referring to the reading list feature.

No, there's no multiple language support at the moment.

As a reader, correct? If so, that makes sense. Unless you're an author and want to re-order your chapters because that's already possible.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2019
  8. Myriadfold

Myriadfold 『Silkmaid』『Ishhara's Devotee』『Daoist』『WW Vet.』

Reading List:
    Link
    the reviews are often my thoughts as simplified as i can make them. now imagine the unedited version and you can gues how had it is to be happy with my own writing xD

though I shant let it stop me. hope to finish a chapter and post it this weekend.

Donutmindme, Jiang Cheng and ohko like this.
  9. Ultrabenosaurus

Ultrabenosaurus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    fanfiction.net doesn't have TOC for stories IIRC. It also looks like trash. Two very important differences.

10. TUSF

TUSF Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    RoyalRoad has a ToC and looks nice.
    Compared to RR, the only additions I've noticed are the glossary and footnotes. And I guess more specific tags.
    The Glossary seems like a nice feature to have, but footnotes are a niche thing to have, and are only needed if you're writing a document or maybe translations…

I can't really see this being a good thing in the long run. It's neat having a writing site backed by what, I guess you can call a reading site? But this'll probably backfire. At best the community will schism. There doesn't seem to be a definite logic for why NU would pull something like this, beyond attempting vertical integration, just like Qidian's WebNovel.com

11. Ultrabenosaurus

Ultrabenosaurus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Scribble Hub lets you have custom lists with icons that show all across the site, colour-coded chapters for series on your lists, and actually keeps track of the last chapter you read rather than the last chapter you happened to open by accident or to read comments or whatever.

Following other members and authors is also much easier and more integrated into the front-end not just the forum. Readers can customise how many rows show on the TOC and add private notes about a series. Series / TOC pages have a "similar series" widget which I've never noticed anywhere on RR. There are also key stats shown directly under the series title, including update frequency which is something I especially like.

Even ignoring adverts (I have RR premium so no ads for me) the chapter / reading page on Scribble Hub is much cleaner. I would like the ability to set the container width ( /me nudges @Tony ) as well as font size, though. Also, public discussions on profile pages is a nice feature IMO, though I can see why some might not like it or think it just a gimmick.

There's probably a bunch of other stuff I haven't noticed yet, or can't because I'm not an author. But at least I looked at the damn site before complaining about it.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2019
  12. Arcturus

Reading List:
    Link
    Plus the series search is like NU's and frankly superior to RR's. Honestly, SH provides features that I've wanted for awhile from RR and a cleaner look as well. Plus, I've heard @Tony provides a lot of tools for authors in the editor.

13. ohko

ohko 【LGBTQ+ association】 【ohko is ohko!】

Reading List:
    Link
    I also feel that having multiple sites/platforms is a good thing. It actually benefits small-time authors the most, since it spreads out the existing popular novels on a wider playing ground.

Coming as a former translator, there are dozens of large Chinese web fiction websites, all of which develop different reputations and scopes over time. Obviously, it’s impractical for an author to cross-post across ~30 different platforms, so an author has to pick a handful (ideally one, since it benefits your rankings most to stay on one) to host their stories on.

You could post on qidian, which is one of the biggest and most popular one, but if you’re a small-time author, your story will never end up getting read. Instead, wanna-be writers are often given the advice to post on one of the smaller websites first to develop a loyal fan base and readership before eventually migrating to the big fish waters for a second or third novel.

In short, I don’t think it’s a bad thing to have multiple platforms. It really only benefits authors and readers in the end, IMO.

Nom de Plume and AliceShiki like this.
  14. rapture_edge

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm a small time author with a little story project that I've been working on since last year. I first posted on NU Community creations for my story and then later moved to RoyalRoad. Right now I'm also posting on Inkstone/Webnovel and asked my followers in RR to give me a quick rating and so on. Of course, I'll be asking these same readers to give a rating on my story which will be posted on Scribblehub and then ask the new readers to rate my stories on all platforms.

So I agree that multiple platforms are helpful because not all platforms can easily allow you to have a fan base or followers. Especially on platforms which are already full of amazing stories which makes your story harder to find even if it is of equal greatness. This is also why, ScribbleHub is a great place for aspiring authors such as myself to get in.

On a totally different note...
    @Tony I noticed that there's no way to add a "post chapter" author note like in RR and Webnovel/Inkstone. I don't want to disrupt the immersion of reading so I think it's better if there is a distinction or an "official spot" for these author notes. Right now I'm just using the comment sections.

Will that feature be added soon? Or is that feature already existing and I'm just a noob who needs new glasses? Thanks for the awesome site by the way...

Nom de Plume, Shio and ohko like this.
  15. Arcturus

Reading List:
    Link
    I can say that @Ai chan has put in post- chapter comments in her novel on Scribblehub. Not sure how she did it, since I'm not an author, but it is possible.

Ai chan likes this.
  16. rapture_edge

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks! I guess i need to explore the features. Ive been posting stories through phone ( copy paste) so i havent really experimented on it. I guess its back to the scribbling board.
    Get it? Scribbling board? No one? Anyone? Alright. I'll walk myself out....

Nom de Plume, runsing and Arcturus like this.
  17. Ddraig

Ddraig Frostfire Dragon|Retired lurker|FFF|Loved by RNG

Reading List:
    Link
    A snek a day keeps tag obesity away

18. Raneday

Raneday Not Rane

Reading List:
    Link
    hmmm do your best!

19. Tony

Tony Moderator Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If you're on mobile, tap anywhere on the chapter and you'll be shown a few options. One of them is changing the font size. If you're on desktop, there's a "setting" icon at the top right of every chapter that lets you change the font size.

Container width? That's simple to add. I need to fix these minor bugs first before I start implementing new features. I'm close to fixing all of these bugs. After that, I'll open up the new forums so it'll be easier to keep track of all bugs and suggestions.

There was a "news" button that lets you create announcements but I just added a new "author notes" button:
    Untitled-2.png Untitled-5.png

20. Donutmindme

Donutmindme [dounut][Zodiac:Golden snake][PROcrastinator]

Reading List:
    Link
    Late, but I can’t wait for the forum to come out!
    :blobhero::blobhero::blobhero::blobhero::blobhero:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.