Need help coming up with a weapon for a novel

Discussion in 'Author Discussions' started by Jinnai.l, Jan 4, 2019.

1. 0000000

0000000 I B SMILING!

Reading List:
    Link
    So having a celestial being is not?

2. GonZ555

GonZ555 What i want for christmas is you

Reading List:
    Link
    For fashion reason

Jinnai.l likes this.
  3. Ddraig

Ddraig Frostfire Dragon|Retired lurker|FFF|Loved by RNG

Reading List:
    Link
    Right now we have covered,
    orbit range - sun
    communication - Suitcase
    melee range - Hammeraxethingy
    Autonomous - Fire snake robot drone
    Long range - I would say go for a railgun but that would be electric so go for a sun based big laser sniper

We need to cover stealth, networked intelligence/info wars, utility, some kind of defense, anti space/air

4. Moonlight Shadow

Moonlight Shadow Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    No comment there either, thinking about it is even more OP XD
    you throw it on the ground and you are now the biggest suicide bomber in universe history

5. Ddraig

Reading List:
    Link
    For networked intelligence,
    For utility/movement/orbit reentry -
    a shell built inside a burning meteor / flame chariot

For stealth,
    Suit that makes person blend with surroundings in heat vision/ ir sensor

6. Jinnai.l

Jinnai.l The Jerkaiser, Ruler of 108th dimension,Jinny

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh yeah the character in question was likely one of the most flashy among all the series. So any type of Stealth was never in her consideration...

7. LesserSarcasm

LesserSarcasm Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    a reactor that reaches the plank temperature making a localized kugelblitz, that give you access to space an time warping abilites so long as they / you survive the plank temperature. ( basically its a unusable weapon cause once its used everything is dead. )

8. Jinnai.l

Reading List:
    Link
    Er maybe I should point this out earlier but the weapon the character in the novel use, especially the main protagonists', is basically meant to weaponize essentially who they are as a magic user and individual.

Example: The gang leader essentially use a WORLD TREE (yes her version of Yggdrasil) as weapon to symbolize her nature as a wood, goddess, a support player that is as broken in the setting as Merlin is in FGO.

The tree in question could essentially sync with any an all pant in the world as an observation device, it could project barrier tanking any and all attacks that could make even Goku broke a sweat, the entire plant could absorb solar/ magic and other energies and concentrate itself in the leaves that can be use in alchemy as an ultimate additives or be use to boost a power of a spell (there are million of this leaves). The tree also exude healing and buffing domain lifting people ability to a banana level... it can also spawn minion and function essentially as a Bifrost...yeah that is only one of the weapon there are 9 more...

The reason I have a trouble coming up with one for this particular character is because she is the group blacksmith and thus her weapon had in all form and ability reflected the skill of the person who create it. It was meant to be the second most complicate armament in the setting with,

To gave you the picture the top most complicate weapon I come up with was essentially a Battlestation that make deathstar look like a joke in term of adaptability. It suppose to be used by a person who essentially the setting greatest researcher and engineer with the splendor of sensors, drone, stealth system and arsenal/cannon/generator expected as the personal masterpiece and go to partner for the world first and most powerful magiteck robotgirl/sciencetist when she decide someone need smiting.

So now I am stuck thinking about something that need to come a second after that. The weapon that was supposed to be the grandest work of the setting greatest blacksmith, wielding the power of the sun and the hidden hire to a throne of an empire...and she also the greatest succubus to ever be born in thousand year after she reached her peak...

9. reagents 11

reagents 11 disaster personified

Reading List:
    Link
    Two single edged swords and one long spear that can be joined together to make a glider or flyer.

10. Jinnai.l

Reading List:
    Link
    Maybe a Throne...yeah a chair but it need to do something awesome that none of other configuration could do

11. Ddraig

Reading List:
    Link
    Should have a secret function of becoming an emergency toilet for starters.

Jinnai.l likes this.
  12. Jinnai.l

Reading List:
    Link
    The axe/hammer was meant as anti Army-Anti-World grade weapon it can already do that

13. Shio

Shio Moderator Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Super easy to bring everywhere. You don't wanna be the psycho that brings weapon everywhere.

14. Jinnai.l

Reading List:
    Link
    Suitcase got that cover...plus it is more amusing

15. kkgoh

kkgoh Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Wouldn't "weapons" depend entirely on:
    -- If this side character is recurring? i.e. if she constantly reappears, then it necessitates an upgradeable weapon
    -- Is side character close-combat, ranged, or support type?
    -- What kind of setting you have, magic fantasy, sci-fi, hybrid, xianxia/supernatural, etc?

I'd keep it simple instead of overly complicated 8-9 configs ... else she just has a Swiss-army knife and is pointlessly OP.
    Please remember the Chekhov's Gun concept. If you have 8-9 configs, you need to have a scenario where she uses ALL 8-9 configs.

Just because she's a "blacksmith" doesn't mean she needs every weapon. On the contrary, think about what's the most common tool she uses to make/repair weapons (forge/hammer/computer/whatever).

Since you mentioned it's a hybrid setting (magitek), go with weapons that are based on semi-relatable physics:
    - projectile weapons (gas propulsion, electro magnetic including accelerators/laser/etc)
    - close combat weapons (vibro-sword, spear, etc)
    - OR both (combat suit/combat pack like Mei Hatsume from Boku no Hero, or the Child Emperor from One-Punch Man)

THEN imbue the fire-type power to the weapon:
    - a flaming vibrosword, a flame-thrower ...

16. Jinnai.l

Reading List:
    Link
    She one of the main cast. Think of another world fusion with one piece fusion with Magi.

You see the main MC(s) are ridiculously good fighter but some like her are even better craftman. She suck at support but the concept is that, to uphold all the good in the world, every member of said MCs team (10 in total) must be able to single-handedly end all crisis and injustice with the impossible 0 causaulty. So she might suck at support compare to the rest but she is still good at first aid—healing is simply not her forte.

Being OP is an understatement. Her very presence in the room guarantee instaneous harmony. All idea about abusing the weak or starting a war should died in the user head because she say so (it will be after a long development and in the novel endgame). The only thing that could fight her and had a hope of winning is an invading world killing outergods.

I use Nanotechnology because her precision in material engineering, forging and material modeling reach the level that she essentially design and frabricated living metal dust with its own conciousness and created a prototype of several masterwork weapon that essentially program into said dust in the marvel of design, magic and ritual that will likely never be replicated again...so her weapon is not technology imbued with fire. It is an Excalibur programmed with 8-9 diferent mode that amplified her (fire base) broken magic to the point that a fully awakened Cthulu will go back to sleep rather than ate it head on.

17. Gandire Alea

Gandire Alea [Wicked Awesome Translator]

Reading List:
    Link
    How about gun-chucks?? They are nun-chukus, but the the shafts are also something like shot guns. In all, they would offer 4 shots, one for each handle. Although, you could just say some sort of sciene thing to make it reasonable for there to be multiple rounds in each handle.

Ruyue likes this.
  18. Drevart

Drevart [Eternal illusion][Tea lover][MC RLOAT]

Reading List:
    Link
    and I wanted to propose something like a railgun...
    an artifac to produse mines so she can explode here foes without getting into a head on conflict? Needles with fire toxin on them?

19. Jinnai.l

Reading List:
    Link
    Should I started co-writing the novel...

I mean there will be more eyes checking that way and I would actually have someone to talk to about the plot

20. Ruyue

Ruyue Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Infinity gauntlet ㅋㅋㅋ