Novel Translation Questions for a Newb

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by JOANovels, Jan 5, 2019.

1. JOANovels

JOANovels New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hi all!

I am thinking of starting a translation for a Korean novel. However, I noticed a lot of sites actually copy from the original translator. Is there a way to combat this?

If I got permission from the original author and own the copyrights would I be able to punish them in some way?

Thanks

2. SenjiQ

SenjiQ [Wise, for a Bird]

Reading List:
    Link
    There is no way to combat it, only ways to slow it down (all of which will annoy readers)

asriu and Phreasilva like this.
  3. Daike1234

Daike1234 THE GUY WHO TRANSLATE WITH THE HELP OF MACHINES

Reading List:
    Link
    No one can escape piracy in the internet, even Qidian had their stories get pirated, the last thing yoh can do is setting up a password and giving them to your loyal readers though it would make the translation inaccessable to many.

4. Phreasilva

Phreasilva Gluttonous Prick that doesn't get Fat

Reading List:
    Link
    That won't do either, the pirate could just enter inside and steal. Qidian is quite good to introduce Spirit Stones but that didn't do it either, however to due to Spirit Stones their lost is quite less. Excluding the log in and other ways to obtain free Spirit Stones.

If you hire a capable programmer he/she can do some trick to have your text not be copied. Although it could still be copied but in a very particular way. Unless they know that text nowadays can be extracted from pictures.

5. mir

mir Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I've seen some translators turn the translation into images. Or put part of the chapter in text, part in pictures, and that makes it so that any bot who grabs text from the page is only getting an incomplete chapter with random chunks missing.

I forget which site, but there is one that doesn't let the readers right-click the page, so the text cannot be copied.
    Or you could even do both, and add watermarks?
    They could still get around these two methods by taking screenshots, but it will make it harder and probably slow them down.

Downside is that makes it alot harder on the reader who is trying to zoom in or out to read.

edit: I looked up the 'text extraction from images' thing, and it seems to be pretty easy. There was a simple tutorial on it and everything.

I guess the answer is to write it all in code*. :blobwoah:
    (*actually script)
    The text extraction software won't be able to read it.
    Your readers will get to learn a neat looking new script~
    Fun for everyone~ :aww:
    Here, I recommend this website to find a nice script: www.omniglot.com/conscripts/english.htm
    Here is a nice example~
    [​IMG]
    (Don't actually do it, readers will cry tears of blood)

(You know, this thread makes me think that someone out there trying to avoid internet piracy is going to invent the next new big thing in codes)

Last edited: Jan 5, 2019
  6. Beer_Kitty

Beer_Kitty Just a very very drunk kitty that likes beer

Reading List:
    Link
    Or you can make the most out of it. Like multiple pages for a single chapter.

Either way, they can still pirate it.

7. SenjiQ

SenjiQ [Wise, for a Bird]

Reading List:
    Link
    Images are also terrible to read on mobile most of the time

Raneday and mir like this.
  8. Raneday

Raneday Not Rane

Reading List:
    Link
    ^
    'twas one of the main reasons on why I dropped a novel that enjoyed reading before.

Rumby and SenjiQ like this.
  9. JOANovels

JOANovels New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks for all the replies!

Really appreciate it!

10. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    nope
    expect some flames, nukes, and riots

11. Rumby

Rumby Rumbly Tumbly

Reading List:
    Link
    If you got permission from the author you could dmca takedown the copied novels. I think though the actual site owner will ignore it so probably best to send it to the host site/server.
    It just seems a pain because there's way too many aggregators who repost translations.

I have seen some translators getting around some of them by putting like dummy links and dummy text.. and then either posting the real link or chapter in the comments.
    Since bots dont copy and paste comments???

12. LysUltima

LysUltima Riichi! Tsumo! Toitoi! Suuankou!?

Reading List:
    Link
    The translation community has tried DMCA. We got a certain pirate site removed from google, but it's still the most popular one out there, so...
    Aggregators tend to live in countries where copyright laws aren't as pronounced, so it's quite hard to get at them.
    Learn to deal. Honestly, you'll be getting like 10x more views than all of the pirate sites combined, so it isn't too much of a problem.