Recommendations Looking for worldbuilding anime

Discussion in 'Anime Discussion' started by vick2047, Jan 5, 2019.

1. vick2047

vick2047 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Looking for anime which have good worldbuilding. I mean story telling has good world building element. Any genere ( prefer fantasy)

Last edited: Jan 5, 2019
  2. Grandia

Grandia Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Have you tried Log Horizon? There’s lots of creating governing bodies and politics.

fuzor100, Kaze Ling, UnGrave and 2 others like this.
  3. Raneday

Raneday Not Rane

Reading List:
    Link
    Tears to Tiara
    Log Horizon
    Overlord
    Guin Saga

Cosmic_ likes this.
  4. Halmista

Halmista Doctor of Books

Reading List:
    Link
    If you can wait, Release That Witch is going to have a donghua (Chinese animation) I think this year?

And you might mean kingdom-building because any good fantasy has proper world-building.

But if you're really looking for a fantasy anime with great world-building mechanics (and by that, I mean the world is running in a logical sense like having fish as a main exported good in a port town or that the Demon king attacks have effect to the kingdom economies, something like that), here are some suggestions:
    Spice and Wolf is economics in fantasy land
    Maoyuu Maou Yuusha has a demon king thinking about the economics of the whole continent

vick2047 likes this.
  5. Ddraig

Ddraig Frostfire Dragon|Retired lurker|FFF|Loved by RNG

Reading List:
    Link
    Log horizon
    Seikai no monshou/senki/dansho
    Spice and wolf
    Galactic heroes

vick2047 likes this.
  6. Lienniar

Lienniar Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    People probably hate the anime because of it's animation quality that let a lot of readers down, but Overlord was still great with its world-building, along with kingdom building elements. Overpowered protagonist does make it seem like a wish-fulfillment anime, but it's still great, and I heard the source material is even more so.

The newly released anime of last season, Tensei Shitara Slime, also has sufficient world-building elements I believe (probably biased since I read the LN recently as well). It also involves kingdom-building, if that's what you meant. The overpowered levels does take away a bit from the story, but it's a carefree wish-fulfillment anime like Overlord.

If you're okay with an older anime, I personally loved Juuni Kokuki as it involves a good chunk of world building, and the kingdom-building is satisfying based on the protagonist's journey to enrich/better their once declining kingdom. Also has characters who aren't flat, but rather believable (including antagonists) based on their circumstances.

There's also Kemono no Souja Erin, that I felt was strangely very captivating for what I thought was a children's anime. It was very engaging, the world was interesting, and while it doesn't heavily rely on kingdom-building elements, it definitely was one of the better anime (and the length ain't like those short 12-episode anime either :D )

Magi is also another great fantasy anime, that also presents an unusually rare setting of deserts and a thriving culture and the world behind it that I think anime usually neglects (since we all assume feudal Japan or medieval Europe are the only presentable fictional worlds usually). By watching the show, you can tell the world has a very solid world-building aspect as the world is believable and is very engaging as well. It does have some kingdom-building elements, but the main protagonist doesn't really settle (from what I remember), so you see it as a perspective of an outsider of the world being built.

If you're okay with a Scifi styled anime, Psycho-Pass is also a great pick as it depicts a dystopic society of a future modern world surrounding crime and how the law enforcers of that pristine futuristic world handle said criminal variables. It will not have any kingdom building, but it does have a very interesting world-building element that depicts an engaging setting.

Terra e. . . is also a very engaging Scifi anime, and from the very first episode I was hooked by the setting (the world building behind it). I will admit I watched the newly released animation and not the older animation-- but when you watch it you'll realize the world is very intriguing as it's depicted by varied perspectives.

Probably rambled on, but those are my suggestions when it comes to animations off of the top of my head.