Resolved Rough Calculation

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by jkim0940, Jan 5, 2019.

1. jkim0940

jkim0940 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Last night when I was hunting for a novel to read i saw a thread https://forum.novelupdates.com/threads/qidian-is-not-bad-is-good-indirectly.79662/
    Everybody was quite passionately arguing their views. Is qidian bad? Is it good? Personally I don't really mind what site I go on, I just want to read something fun or of quality. For example, on web novel, I read Release that Witch for quality and Full Marks Hidden Marriage: Pick Up a Son, Get a Free Husband for fun. As I like making stupid comments backed up by fancy looking numbers to pass off as an intellectual (I'm totally not bored), I decided to do some quick calculations to find how much qidian could potentially earn from Full Marks Hidden Marriage: Pick Up a Son, Get a Free Husband which translation ended recently (Thanks to the translators by the way. I enjoyed waking up to read face slaps every morning the past year.)
    • On Web novel the best deal on Spirit Stones is the 2500ss + 750ss for $50, which is 65 ss per dollar.
    • There is 661 words on average per chapter. (average word count taken from 11 chapters: 1, 101, 201 ... 1001. I sort of realized taking the entire word count would take all day)
    • If there is about 275 words per page (number taken from royalroad), there would be 2.4 pages per chapter.
    • The novels total chapters equates to 2165 chapters on a average of 3.5 ss per chapter (Totally guessed on the average ss per chapter. Sue me)
    total words = 2165(total chapters) * 661(average words per chapter) = 1,431,065 words
    total pages = 2165(total chapters) * 2.4(pages per chapter) = 5196 pages
    total spirit stones = 2165(total chapters)*3.5 (average ss per chapter)= 7577.5 spirit stones
    total money = 7577.5 (total spirit stones) / 65 Spirit stones (ss per dollar) = $116.58

Of course you must put into account that the there are free chapters available even without paying and the daily ss you can receive. I guess qidian translators often post more compared to other translators on novelupdates. However, I know that if I had to pay potentially over 100 bucks on a fantasy webnovel, the same amount I spent on my college calculus textbook last year, my mom would kill me. Don't get me wrong, I am willing to support quality novels like The Wandering Inn and There is no Epic Loot here, Only Puns. I just want to know if i spent any amount of money buying spirit stones, how much goes to the authors? Does it go to the translators?

2. SoulZer0

SoulZer0 Heaven Refining

Reading List:
    Link
    I see another Qidian thread aABb2gMe_700w_0.jpg

3. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm bored~
    well tbh for such product I think we need to see overall stat
    I mean total chapter from all novels on qidian
    idk how they run it~ I only assume take some profit from x series to balance lost on y series~ repeat it multiple time~ then foala you can check how much you gain profit just from SS stones~

well some cat may prefer pay xxx stories than yyy stories so kinda normal approach I guess~

4. tyes77

tyes77 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I hear Qidean has a forum. Maybe try posting your question over there?

5. Raneday

Raneday Not Rane

Reading List:
    Link
    another qi thread

:blobpopcorn_cool::blobpopcorn_cool::blobpopcorn_cool:

6. Dr.Flash

Dr.Flash Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I never realised books are so costly, maybe this is another reason why I find qidians so costly, because books in my countries don't usually go above 30 dollars...

7. Raneday

Raneday Not Rane

Reading List:
    Link
    :blobsweat::blobsweat::blobsweat:

8. jkim0940

Reading List:
    Link
    Ya i posted because I see these posts a lot too. Its mostly people cursing qidian that its bad and etc. From what I've read on Chinese webnovels, this is usually the part where the after the female lead's company was attacked by a rival company and everyone misunderstands and curses at the female character, causing the female lead to call a press conference and prove everyone wrong. The Rich and powerful ceo Male lead then bring out lawyers and sues the shit out of every person that doubted the female lead. Me no have no monies so i must be sure to flame them.

9. SquirFail

SquirFail The One Who Forgets, Dreamer, Observer

Reading List:
    Link
    As much as I like longer chapters and thousand+ chapters in a novel, if the plot becomes too repetitive and there is almost no spice that gives color to that said plot it becomes too bland for my taste and from what I heard it is because QI forces them to release chapters everyday which kinda destroys the creative value of the authors... that's my uptake on things related to QI and don't get me started on the paywalls

10. Bright_Lucky_Star

Bright_Lucky_Star [Previously Known as OrdinaryUser] The Blessed One

Reading List:
    Link
    That's mean another thread for nuffies miner

11. SoulZer0

SoulZer0 Heaven Refining

Reading List:
    Link
    So you wanna prove people wrong?
    You don't buy textbooks for your tertiary education?

12. Raneday

Raneday Not Rane

Reading List:
    Link
    :blobsweat::blobsweat::blobsweat:

13. jkim0940

Reading List:
    Link
    What? I just want to know if i buy spirit stones to purchase chapter if any of it goes to the author and translator. If you just skipped the entire post after reading qidian, plz skip to the final paragraph.

14. hongzu

hongzu Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm not sure if you know any pirated novel websites... I'm not encouraging you to do that, but as you said, you're not financially independent, it's not a wise choice to spend so much money on online fiction.
    But if you choose to spend a little every day, as you do with the author's daily updates, it won't cost much in a short time.
    By the way, yesterday, when I searched for《The Record of Unusual Creatures》on webnovel, I calculated the rates for each chapter. Then I found that, considering the price level, the value of the same chapter consumed there is the same as that consumed in China! I would have thought there would be a big difference.
    And, of course, prices can several times, if only exchange rates are taken into account.

15. jkim0940

Reading List:
    Link
    Haha thanks for the suggestion but I wanted to support novels that I really enjoy but I cant really find a way to support Qidian authors that I liked. Like I would buy light novels that I enjoyed, support on patreon on novels in royalroad that are still ongoing. Spending 100 bucks is outrageous but 10-20 bucks on a decent read is fair in my opinion.

16. hongzu

hongzu Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I am wondering if you could try to register for QIDIAN (https://www.qidian.com/) and then support your favorite authors, this site seems to supports PayPal. If this novel is still serialized, it would be helpful if you supported the author on Qidian. And if you ignore the currency symbol behind the number, it costs almost as much to buy the same chapter in China as it does in the United States.

jkim0940 likes this.
  17. Dr.Flash

Dr.Flash Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I doubt I said I don't buy textbooks, I said textbooks in my country is far cheaper than in urs...

18. Jojo775

Jojo775 Honorary Algae Knight

Reading List:
    Link
    RTW for quality :blobsweat:, I'm afraid to even google the other not quality novel.

19. Lazriser

Lazriser Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Oddly matching edit yet terrifying to look at.

20. Sakuratea

Sakuratea A Cup ot Tea

Reading List:
    Link
    Actually did spend ss on RTW, but when it got boring for me, i stopped reading. It's certainly expensive if you follow through till the end, but with ss you can bail out early if you're tired of it.
    An actual book cannot be refunded if you find it boring after chapter n. You can sell it to secondhand bookstore maybe...
    In a sense it can be cheaper than book.

Just my advice, just follow one book on qi. If there are free chapter, read the free chapter without spending ss, save your daily ss. When it stopped releasing free chapter then use your accumulated ss.