Discussion Something that irk you when reading a novel?

Discussion in 'Novel Discussion' started by erocommander, Jan 7, 2019.

Tags:
  1. erocommander

erocommander Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Its irk me every time when the author describing something related the body like items or move or wounds or anything but not giving any details which one is it.

For example, "he put the sword on his hand". Motherfcker... WHICH HAND!? Its halt my imagination and immersion.

Like just now i started to continue reading Trash of the Count and this happen
    Cage, who was sitting next to him quietly, cautiously reached both of her hands out and gently placed them around Cale’s wrist.

WHICH ONE!? LEFT OR RIGHT!? Goddamit.. please extrapolate more.

Varno and xchronicles like this.
  2. juniorjawz

juniorjawz Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Unnecessary filler.

I get it I get it so please... get to the point... *chapter ends* Why must I waitttttt

BLKCandy and avatarivn like this.
  3. 0000000

0000000 I B SMILING!

Reading List:
    Link
    Any text before to show that Cale is using his hand? So if Cage went to grab his wrist, I would assume it is his free hand (wrist)?

4. Beer_Kitty

Beer_Kitty Just a very very drunk kitty that likes beer

Reading List:
    Link
    The unnecessary cliffhanger.

Elkon likes this.
  5. SenjiQ

SenjiQ [Wise, for a Bird]

Reading List:
    Link
    Mate, I can't even describe how little that matters to me. How have you gone through life without being able to choose between two essentially same things

Ruyue likes this.
  6. Haylias

Haylias Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    TL notes in the text as opposed to in a footnote. Especially when they're not actually explaining anything, just reacting to the story.

7. Cuddles0_0

Cuddles0_0 (>^∆^)> Xtra Whipped Cream Translations <(^∆^<)

Reading List:
    Link
    *Shook* people don't like that?

Fr0stb1te likes this.
  8. Nasko1

Nasko1 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The fatty friend that is not funny or useful.

9. darksaint124

darksaint124 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If I'm reading an action scene and everything going on is vaguely described irks me. Silly me for enjoying being able to picture scenes in my mind.

Elkon, Ruyue, Varno and 1 other person like this.
  10. erocommander

Reading List:
    Link
    It is important for me. Because every time i read, i imagining the scenes "live action" style, so i need to know which one is doing the action.
    For example, "he blocked the attack with his hand in the same time punched with his other hand" I seriously need to know which one is blocking and which one is attacking. So the scenes in my head flow smoothly and cleanly.

That is why i really like Douluo Dalu because the author show every single details in the fight and i can imagine it better and clearer. That doesn't mean without it, i can't enjoy the story and imagine the scenes. It just irks me.

11. XBlood KightX

XBlood KightX Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This paragraph from chapter 1883 in Very Pure and Ambiguous The Sequel mtl version.
    However, even if Jing Xiaolu somewhat regretted that is in front of Yang Ming's to direct Liu Huamei not well, because Yang Ming most repugnant is the woman of thinking oneself clever! Yang Ming is an androcentrism very serious man, he naturally does not think that his woman is extremely strong before him, even if intelligent such as Sun Jie common woman, in front of Yang Ming is obedient, is to also esteem Yang Ming is fierce in the same place with other woman! Also will never fall the Yang Ming's face!

And any time other countries outside of China come up in CN novels, especially Japan.

12. Greater thunder

Greater thunder Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Protagonist is always right no matter how depraved an act they pull stories.

Filler upon filler just to read two relevant sentences in like 20-30 chapters.

Author pet characters who can do no wrong.

Convenient coincidences upon convenient coincidences. Say a protag gets means of entry into a hidden world and it just so happens to contain what he needs and the 1 in a billion years opening is in 4-5 months, just as much the protag needs to prepare.

And much more besides.

Elkon, aminy, blablabla12 and 4 others like this.
  13. crowalternate

crowalternate <<<Just a Background Character>>>

Reading List:
    Link
    Ummm both?

14. Haylias

Haylias Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Just my personal thing, I feel that it really distracts from what I'm reading. Like, I appreciate a TL having opinions on what's going on, but I'm trying to read the novel, not their reactions, you know?

I actually read more TL notes when they're posted as footnotes, since when they're posted in the middle of a chapter I'm doing my best to actively ignore them, lol

15. erocommander

Reading List:
    Link
    "Cale's wrist"
    Not this "reached both of her hands".

16. erocommander

Reading List:
    Link
    For the convenient coincidences.
    Well... if its Song Shuhang from Cultivation Chat Group, i would believe it. Because the universe always want to fuck him over and with his "Death-Seeking" tendency combined, Voila!

17. CyberCypher

CyberCypher Air Breather

Reading List:
    Link
    When ero novels aren't descriptive enough

Elkon, Someguy666, aminy and 9 others like this.
  18. saekicchi

saekicchi (≧◡≦) ♡

Reading List:
    Link
    I hate that, too. I came across a story where the translator actually wrote "we know already stop trying to describe stuff *roll eyes*" like, why would they even translate in the first place if they hate the story? Then the editor/s will also chime in and they'll just have a whole conversation in the middle of the story. WHYYYY?

19. crowalternate

crowalternate <<<Just a Background Character>>>

Reading List:
    Link
    +1

Flashman likes this.
  20. MiyaMira

MiyaMira Jobseeking Sloth ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Certified Imouto

Reading List:
    Link
    Stupid female protagonist who couldn't think about having precautions when she's been attacked with the same trick more than twice, and still refused bodyguards when they have money and obviously need one.

AND

Similarly stupid female villains who only think about owning the male protagonist just because he's rich and handsome, but refuse to think about his horrible personality so keep courting death whenever possible.

plus

Overbearing CEO male protagonist who think it's okay to sleep with a drugged woman shoved into their bed even though they were supposed to be a so-called celibate, then blamed the woman for getting into their bed. Seriously, there are a lot of options rather than raping the woman. You can call the ambulance, throw the woman into another room (bathroom maybe), or just don't stay in one room.

Elkon, Adqui, Ophis_Trihexa and 5 others like this.