Automatic Updates

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Bug Reports' started by DiabolicGod, Jan 10, 2019.

?

Do you think this is a good idea?

Poll closed Jan 11, 2019.
  1. Yes, I don't see why not.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Yes, but afaik it is already implemented in some way.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. No. (Please post why)

3 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. DiabolicGod

DiabolicGod Well-known lazy Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So, I have read the MTL of Invincible (Invincible Conqueror on lnmtl.com), and was baffled, since there are over 3.5k chapters there, but the NU page of the novel said that it was ongoing with 3.2k chapters. Now, Idk if this is already implemented with very long timeframes or it gets updated manually or when the translator gives a report, but I would like the entries in NU to be updated automatically every 2 months or so. This should be possible imo, since the updates wouldn't be frequent, so it wouldn't slow the servers or create problems (hopefully). For authors jumping from platform to platform, making the raws harder to track, you are also welcome to suggest solutions (does the bot find them if they just jump in between bigger platforms?).

I know this is a single case, but I have seen it on other novels too and thus doubt that it is because the htl and mtl cut chapters differently. Also, on this case, it has at least been over half a year, maybe over a year since it has been updated and this bothers me a bit, since novels with a chapter daily could have a lot more chapters already than shown, or already have nearly as many chapters as the author aimed for.

Of course I also know that this doesn't matter to many people, but it did bother me a bit and I imagine translators that look for novels to translate here on NU/F would also appreciate it.

Naturally you are also welcome to tell me why this isn't a good idea, whether or not it is already implemented, etc.

Nom de Plume likes this.
  2. SoulZer0

SoulZer0 Heaven Refining

Reading List:
    Link
    You can just edit it. To update it automatically, I'm no programmer but I think you'll need some sort of script to look for the informations, such as the number of chapters, to be written. It could be tricky since those raw sites have no connections to NU. I think it's possible, but it's hard to do it.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

3. DiabolicGod

DiabolicGod Well-known lazy Member

Reading List:
    Link
    oh, I see, then that probably makes it useless

I didn't know you could just edit it. Since it is like this, any reader/translator/author who knows the correct actual standing can correct it, thus, the feature isn't worth the effort.

this thread can be closed/deleted if you want

Nom de Plume and Wujigege like this.
  4. Nom de Plume

Nom de Plume [Shio’s Disciple] [True Villain] [Equip: Gunblade] Novel Updates Staff

Reading List:
    Link
    I’m glad it’s spreading the word it can be updated. Most things on NU are editable by users. Thanks for asking the question!!! If you don’t want to edit it yourself or it’s a field you can’t change, you can also submit reports.

I think what might be a good feature is some kind of visibility on the last time status in coo was updated. Text saying “last updated” would be great for mods. It has the bonus of making it obvious it’s an editable field (imo) if such text available at a glance for general users as well. ^_^

AliceShiki and DiabolicGod like this.