Discussion Mental illness (Q)

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by AkeShiro, Jan 11, 2019.

1. AkeShiro

AkeShiro Blanket Master

Reading List:
    Link
    So I read a tragic manhwa titled Mayabi and at the act 3 there is this girl with mental illness; her mentality stayed at 7 years old or something and she's already 20ish. so my question is, is that a form of autism or what? and if it exists what does it call in the medical term? thanks

2. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    the chance you get proper answer on quora or similar sites is better then here no?

I have no idea~
    better make my tail stay still~
    19656.png

rwnrmdn likes this.
  3. elengee

elengee Daoist Ninefaps

Reading List:
    Link
    There'd be various possibilities , retardation where development is slow. It could be Dissociative identity disorder in response to a trauma where split personalities are formed or no longer grow. Could be autism but also a result from a coma etc. too many variables.

otaku31 likes this.
  4. Wannabe-shutin

Wannabe-shutin Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If I am not mistaken John F. Kennedy’s sister had something like that. (An impediment to mental growth)
    Then she got a lobotomy. Tragic.

Edit: Found the video I got this info at:

Video link if it doesn’t work: here.

AkeShiro likes this.
  5. SageRozenburg

SageRozenburg [Not a pervert][Not Suspicious]

Reading List:
    Link
    sound like aspergers

6. vancenick

vancenick Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Could also be simple developmental delay my aunt is in her 50s with the mentality of a 14-15 year old

7. oliver

oliver Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    No. Autisme is a communication disorder, mainly. Doesnt have much to do with mental age.

Kuroguma and MangoGuy like this.
  8. tef0

tef0 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It is not.

Kuroguma likes this.
  9. Temujin

Temujin Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Sounds like PDD-NOS.

Or Pervasive Developmental Disorder. Not Otherwise Specified. Basically it's a general label for atypical presentation of Autism. Learned a lot about it from my mom who researched the disorder.

Or a presentation of Phenylketonuria. My aunt has that and she's mentally at the age of a teenager. She's 40 and she still struggles with responsibilities.

AkeShiro likes this.
  10. DiabolicGod

DiabolicGod Well-known lazy Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Sounds like Down-Syndrom, though it is a bit different, looking up, it may just be it

11. AtratusImperator

AtratusImperator Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There is no one right answer. There are a number of medical reasons, whether it is internal, ie a mental disorder or genetic disease or external as related to trauma, that the development of an individual can be compromised or delayed.

oliver and AkeShiro like this.
  12. reagents 11

reagents 11 disaster personified

Reading List:
    Link
    Ouch for your auntie. Also depend on the circumstances it could also be called PTSD. Development Disorders would be more closer though.

13. AkeShiro

AkeShiro Blanket Master

Reading List:
    Link
    already post one :blobokhand:
    I don't think its retardation. from the research I did, it is a form of trauma they received in the past and it impeded their mental growth and some can be cured with hypnosis and the chance are less than 10% while drugs ain't helping much either on their development.
    yup, i agreed, there is no one answer to human. I mean we are an individual, even twin won't be as identical as their looks

14. WinByDying

WinByDying I can count to four

Reading List:
    Link
    The misinformation in this thread.

It's exactly what it sounds like; she wasn't able to develop mentally past seven years old. It doesn't have to be mental trauma, could just as well be something she was born with or be caused by lack of oxygen during birth, just to give a few possible causes. There's many, many more possible causes; so many in fact that trying to find a specific label without knowing more context is ridiculous. I don't know if it qualifies for "retardation" though: DSM-5 calls that an "intellectual disability" and it requires an IQ below 70. Doing an adult IQ test on someone who is a child mentally is not how IQ tests are meant to be done, so the girl shouldn't qualify as retarded. Not sure. But there's probably ten better diagnoses out there with very difficult names and long abbreviations.

The list of medical terms for psychological and brain-related illnesses grows longer all the time. The first official list, DSM-I, had 128, a bit over a hundred pages. Now at DSM-5 we're at 541, almost a thousand pages long. Hurray!

Fun fact, in DSM-II (in the sixties), homosexuality was one of the listed disorders!

Another fun fact, Murica's Psychologist Association who make the book earn (hundreds of) millions selling it throughout the years.

Source

AkeShiro likes this.
  15. AkeShiro

AkeShiro Blanket Master

Reading List:
    Link
    thanks, that was very clear information :blobhighfive:

16. Finalbeta

Finalbeta Science Nerd

Reading List:
    Link
    I have it too