Why do people rate a novel 1 star without giving it a chance to develop

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by RuiSi, Jan 16, 2019.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Suijin

Suijin Blood God [Medic]

Reading List:
    Link
    oh really? And how did you get to that conclusion?

otaku31 likes this.
  2. Kaminomikan

Kaminomikan 神のみ感

Reading List:
    Link
    because it crosses their bottom line

otaku31 likes this.
  3. abewan

abewan 〘Nishikigoi Dungeon〙

Reading List:
    Link
    Welp, better than no star.

4. Miserys_End

Miserys_End 「Lv1 Pretend Person」I'm the preson i pretend to be

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm not saying every person that giving a 1 star is an asshole, just the ones that look at the title and tags before rating then moving on.

5. pyramidhead

pyramidhead Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Basically, people think they are the Gordon Ramsey of light novels and that their opinion holds weight. I've seen one guy on here with all kinds of reviews and I think I've seen him review 2 or 3 LNs at 7 or 8 and 100+ at 0-5. Instead of rating it based on how much they enjoy something some people bomb the ratings simply because they don't like the translator, because the ratings are too high (I've seriously seen someone rate a novel a 1 even though they enjoyed it and said it was 3 or 4 stars simply because they thought it was rated to high and wanted to balance it out), and because of dumb reasons like "It's just a rip off of some famous LN" "I've seen this same isekai plot a million times" etc.

6. Jadiii

Jadiii Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    @pyramidhead
    Lol yeah, the "this has wayyyy too many "x" ratings, so I'm rating it this to balance that out, since I think it actually belongs here" are super irritating. If you do that, please stop doing that. Just rate it what you thought of it, really. You shouldn't be trying to move the novel's average review score to match your opinion, that defeats the purpose >.>

I probably should review more, it's not something I've done so much. I always check the reviews before I read the novel, and they're generally helpful enough when taken with a grain of salt.

Tolazytothink likes this.
  7. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    What if said babies had red glowing eyes and chainsaw like teeth that devour human flesh? Would murdering them still be considered garbage?

Nyarlathotep likes this.
  8. Kaminomikan

Kaminomikan 神のみ感

Reading List:
    Link
    does a great % of readers even bother to rate? I have a reader list with 316 items, and just 5/6 reviews/ratings.

9. elnuni

elnuni Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Because they r frustrated, hot blooded, bored, annoyed by the author’s writing style, not suited their taste, antifans, want to share their opinion why not to read it and save someone else’s time... well, so many reasons but I do find myself looking for negative comments first then I read positive one and after that I decide if I go read the first chapter or not ^^ negative comments and rates r constructive there r so many people so it’s natural that some like this but some hate that :) that’s why I love this quote (don’t remember who said it): “What is food to one man can be a poison to others.”

RuiSi and otaku31 like this.
  10. natsume142

natsume142 だが、断る

Reading List:
    Link
    They are troll and assholes.. I seen novels that just released being rated 1 star (like barely 1 chapter) and I doubt they actually read it..

Either that or they really hate the novel.. tho I would rather rate 2 star and give comment about its downside

RuiSi likes this.
  11. Fossil

Fossil 「Spooky」「Scary」「Skeleton」

Reading List:
    Link
    It might be because you’re reading Invisible Dragon too much that you didn’t see the rest of the digit?

12. StormHawk

StormHawk I’m Back To Drop Bombs

Reading List:
    Link
    It’s either they hate the translation or the novel it self is so bad. Can’t help it, some novels are so bad to the point you skip chapters and give up. It’s not a problem if it gets better later abut tell me this, would you read a few hundred chapters of fillers? Or worse the translation is no better than MTL.
    One star.

13. Feng Tian

Feng Tian Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I dare say its possible to judge a novel in a single chapter. The style tells you a lot about the quality, and that need one paragraph. If the author cant introduce any interest in the first chapter its a lost cause anyway since he most likely won't be capable of producing anything worthwhile anyway. So, is it valid to rate one star within one chapter? Eh, maybe not. But you certainly can in five.

otaku31 likes this.
  14. Hirame

Hirame Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    First chapter is most important. It shows tone of novel, litelary prowess of author and quality of translator if it is translated work.

If novel fails on all 3 fronts, I normaly just leave, but I wouldnt have anything against people ranking it 1. Its their choice.

15. Kaminomikan

Kaminomikan 神のみ感

Reading List:
    Link
    just doing a quick look.

series ranking #1 monthly
    2019-01-16 11_51_59-Series Ranking - Novel Updates.jpg

Rating(4.7 / 5.0, 984 votes)
    5 84% (831 votes)
    4 6% (60 votes)
    3 4% (40 votes)
    2 3% (31 votes)
    1 2% (22 vote)

statics of last year (activity and reading list)
    https://www.novelupdates.com/rank-graph/?pid=17281&rg=1,0,0,1,0&sd=01/01/2018&ed=01/01/2019
    2019-01-16 11_54_10-.jpg

and ppl online at this moment.
    2019-01-16 11_45_56-Novel Updates Forum.jpg

my conclusion ppl doesn't bother to rate.

16. oblueknighto

oblueknighto Blue Person

Reading List:
    Link
    If the first chapter is shut and the translation is also shit then I sometimes give it a bad rating. If I read something for 100+ chapters and I still like it then I give it a high rating.

There are other reasons I give bad or good ratings though, like I always rate oneshots higher than novels, I usually rate qidian low, I usually rate mtl low and I'm more lenient towards comedy and slice of life novels. Why? Because I'm biased. Just rate however you want to. Who cares if people rate something 1 star? They can do whatever they want.

Honestly when I'm on the phone I just click near the low end or high end. I might be 1-3 for low and 3-5 for high. So it's pretty random. Sometimes I fix it if I care enough but meh what's the difference between one person rating 1/2 stars different.

Astaroth likes this.
  17. Vincent1873

Vincent1873 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Murdering(illegally killing a human) would imply that they're humans or equivalent. Thus they can't be demons.

otaku31 likes this.
  18. qzty

qzty From normal-fag to F5-er Jack of Spades

Reading List:
    Link
    Some people do it to "right" the overall score of the novel...

19. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep The laziest and the King of Procrastination

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, because we have never seen a translator improve after beginning translating

20. akki

akki [Ani's C☕ffee-mate #3] [Shady Merchant]

Reading List:
    Link
    When does a novel reach its potential though? If the novel starts to get really good after say 200 chapters and before that it’s crap, then I can understand people dropping it and rating it 1 star.

Miserys_End likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.