Discussion Kingdom Building Tips and Tricks.

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Mazino, Jan 16, 2019.

1. Mazino

Mazino The final chapter.

Reading List:
    Link
    So we've all read the stories about introducing modern ideas into old kingdoms as a reincarnated boi wit some memories of obscure shit. However i never really figured out where they learn said info. I have yet to find the kingdom building tips and tricks book. So i am here to ask do any of you have any random ideas you saw in novels you would insititute should you ever get the chance. Also if you knew where i could find such info that would be of help too. I'll start, get land: low rent, crop rotation, uh make sugar from beets. Double points if you can name which isekai that last one is from.

2. Rogue Will

Rogue Will [A Passing Devil]

Reading List:
    Link
    In Release that Witch MC had a decree as a engineer so he knows a lot about geology, metalurgy and mechanic.

AMissingLinguist likes this.
  3. Miserys_End

Miserys_End 「Lv1 Pretend Person」I'm the preson i pretend to be

Reading List:
    Link
    Life experience in a modern society mostly. Everybody goes through so form of schooling that includes history. *shrug* I can't say I could create a kingdom from the ground up, but I do have some ideas that are taken from the news, history lessons, and programs I've watched on TV that would make most medieval nobility's head spin. Granted I know I'm above average in the knowledge I know about medieval tech, modern agriculture, how to produce different products like paper soap, rubber, ect, ect, ect.

So could I, with the help of the local governing body, improve the local economy and general tech capabilities of a kingdom? Yupper! Could "I" do it as well as a lot of the MCs in the novels? Possible, depends on how much the author did actual research as he was writing said novel.

4. Sordahon

Sordahon 『One Person Virtue Is Another One Sin』

Reading List:
    Link
    I know about crop rotation, sanitation and how to build a steam engine and first train(just theoretical knowledge, I would need fire magic or something to reliably build it), and also some stronghold defense tactics + minor offense(army and small group) tactics.

5. MahotsukiKonran

MahotsukiKonran √¶∆℅¥×¶÷π√ ™°℅{^¢¡¿∆ \\£¥^√π¥℅¶∆÷√ ©¢¥®<®]¡¶∆¿

Reading List:
    Link
    You would be surprised what random things you can get from watching t.v.

6. fuzor100

fuzor100 Standby mode...

Reading List:
    Link
    Isekai Tensei Soudouki
    [​IMG]

7. WinByDying

WinByDying I can count to four

Reading List:
    Link
    Instead of introducing one or two smaller things, they revolutionize the technology and the society in the span of a few years. I really don't like that. Something like crop rotation is a good one, relatively simple yet impactful. I like that! Also, it's very understandable, which prevents the author from spouting "scientific" nonsense. Keep it simple and stupid, that's ingenious!

Being an engineer might not even help much. Depends on what type of engineer and what specialization, and even then. The courses are oriented towards modern society, not towards the time period of industrial revolution. I know for sure I wouldn't be able to do much in the short term.

Steam engines have some practical problems. First, the plans. You might be able to draw a steam engine, sure. What sort of an engine is it? What speed and power? You'd think that's a mechanics problem, but you won't get anywhere without knowing what power and heat your components and lubricant can bear. If you show your drawing to a blacksmith, will he be able to forge all metal components? Do you know which parts of the engine will have to bear the largest forces? Can the smaller parts bear the wear and tear? Can those parts be made without deficiencies? Which parts will heat up the most, and how much they'd expand due to the heat? Can you prevent rust in the parts that aren't moving or lubricated? You can treat the water to prevent so, but do you know what with? Do you know which lubricant to use on the moving parts? Tallow and different oils don't behave the same, which is also something to take into account in the design. If using oil, you'll need a lot. You can't just use any oil, for example rapeseed oil was used in the past. But you probably don't know that. Do you have coal? Can you build mines? Or will you build wood-powered engines? Those are quite limited due to how little energy wood contains compared to coal or oil. Your trains and ships would need to be resupplied regularly, and the factories would swallow wood by the hectare. There are many more practical problems. Building a reliable, powerful steam engine isn't something you do because you've got a childish drawing of a steam engine in your head. Also, accidents. Novels never talk about the amount of accidents: deaths and disfigurements were very frequent in early factories. Working there or in mines was also really bad for your health. Well, basically, steam engines were developed over a longer period of time by a lot of different people. Can't just skip the process and get all the results, now can we?

Release That Witch made me cringe so often. Aside from the technological/scientific revolution, the societal changes were utterly ridiculous and it only got worse further in.

ohko, Ai chan and AMissingLinguist like this.
  8. Ai chan

Ai chan Queen of Yuri, Devourer of Traps, Thrusted Witch

Reading List:
    Link
    Most things are just our common sense, something that they don't have because they have never encountered such improvements. So if the people there have come to our time and place and understand how our stuff works, they would've been able to create such improvements too. We are more fortunate because we know everything they know and more, but they don't know much of what we do know.

For example, building proper roads is a no brainer to us because we know how useful a good road is, but to them, they may have only a horse cart and dirt road, or at most roman roads, so they don't see the point of wasting labour and resources to build a good road in comparison to growing food.

As for Ai-chan, it would definitely involve making guns. Gunpowder is not really that hard to make. It takes time if you do it the traditional way, but it can be done with just wheat straws, shit, piss and a barrel. That's all that you need to make gunpowder. Making the gun itself may be a bit more involved, but if you just want to make a 'pipe that shoots projectiles', even someone in the bronze age can make that. There are always people who claim that it's not that easy to make guns, but they've been narrowing their perspective on making the type of modern guns. A musket is really easy to make, that was why the basic shape of musket was copied all the way to southeast asia.

As for others, fertilizers and composts. In the middle ages, the standard method was to 'shit here, then throw in the fields'. The problem with that is the part of the plant that touches the shit becomes rotted, making it less productive and incapable of withstanding the attacks of pests. There's also a whole host of bacterias that can be transmitted back to the human populace.

Ai-chan would also introduce proper drainage system and transportation system. Drainage is very important for a city or a town and without it, you'd be walking in your own or someone else's poo, regardless of where on the continent you are. Transportation system is also very important. If you have a method of transportation that is better than others, it will encourage trading and communication, thus making more profit.

However, if Ai-chan is just a commoner, Ai-chan will just open a tavern or an inn and sell modern food. May be hard to get the ingredients, though, as although salt was quite common, sugar and spices were very hard to acquire back then. Which means curry was out, and sweets would depend on honey, which even back then was quite expensive. However, Ai-chan would offset the cost of getting the ingredients by selling lager.

In fact, Ai-chan was once sent back in time to Europe and not finding any curry, Ai-chan decided to commence an invasion of Europe so that Ai-chan can make curry. It was great that the elves were very helpful and extremely advanced.

Here is the thread. https://forum.novelupdates.com/threads/bringing-the-elves-to-conquer-europe.42428/
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
    WinByDying likes this.
  9. vlue

vlue Jaded Isekai-Reader

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah if i ever reincarnate into a fantasy world, i won't be the one ever be uplifting some medieval fantasy world into the industrial age.

Other than layman understanding of making useful technology there's other factors other than technology that made society advanced that i don't even know, so nope i won't be the likes of release the witch or the earlier isekai-like novel with the same premise called Yankee in King Arthurs Court which has the premise to advance kingdom from dark age to the industrial age.

10. ohko

ohko 【LGBTQ+ association】 【ohko is ohko!】

Reading List:
    Link
    Great post! Thanks for this!

WinByDying likes this.
  11. MahotsukiKonran

Reading List:
    Link
    I like how Tsuki ga Michibiku Isekai Douchuu did it, he took general or vague knowledge about possible technology and told it to the elder dwarf craftsman whom started to experiment with the concepts and not always successfully

WinByDying likes this.
  12. WinByDying

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh yeah, that's a nice storytelling trick for sure. That's also how Tales of the Reincarnated Lord did it with advanced siege weapons and cannons.

13. WinByDying

Reading List:
    Link
    The water treatment, tallow and rapeseed oil I didn't know before either, got the last two from this article. It's about a specific part of a steam engine, the bearing and lubricants. Very interesting. The original way to treat water was apparently putting sawdust, potatoes or potato peels in the boiler water, pretty funny! They wanted tannin (or something similar) in the boiler water, the same substance that can be found in wine, especially red wine.

I only did a limited amount of mechanics, material science and chemistry though. So maybe do take what I said with a little bit of salt.

ohko likes this.
  14. Mount Tai Unleashed

Mount Tai Unleashed This one has tai but can't see mount eyes

Reading List:
    Link
    If you want to make it in a medieval world, all you need to know is how to make gunpowder, how to make steel which includes also making a furnace hot enough to forge it and it would help knowing how to make the machines necessary that make making bullets and gun components easy.

And if you really want to be prepared for those hack magicians and divine weapons, learn how to find and enrich uranium, after that make a gun-type nuke and drop it on their asses. That not enough? add a second stage with deuterium and tritium.

15. MahotsukiKonran

Reading List:
    Link
    Having the nuclear material is not the hard part, making a weapon out of it is otherwise everyone would have them. Gunpowder is not the be all end all as well without the rifling, cartilage bullet, and other advances. In many stories once you level up some bullets without magic wouldn't do much harm to a fighter