Gimme Fresh Novel Community Memes

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by gr8 b8 m8, Aug 7, 2017.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zone Q11

Zone Q11 『The Gas Mask』『Monochrome Plebeian』

Reading List:
    Link
    I assume this is the Lawful Good?
    Who is Ren?
    Huh... I wonder why I never see the flaks.
    Oh well. I love neutrality anyways.
    Mm... I know RRL, but I thought Volare is just another translating website?
    Humu humu... I see. Thank you for your explanation! *bows*

2. Blitz

Blitz ⛈️ awakened from the reverie❄️

Reading List:
    Link
    Ren's RWX the founder of Wuxiaworld

3. Zone Q11

Reading List:
    Link
    I see... RWX? As in, Ren WuXia?

4. Grenore

Grenore 《Member》

Reading List:
    Link
    Ren Wuxin

5. Zone Q11

Reading List:
    Link
    I see. Okay.

6. oblueknighto

oblueknighto Blue Person

Reading List:
    Link
    You might not see the flak because it's not on NUF. There used to be plenty on reddit and wuxiaworld forums.

Volare used to just be another translating website but they now host original novels too. Also their niche is that they focus more on female-oriented novels. Female MC, danmei, BL, Xth young miss. That sort of thing.

Lonelycity and Zone Q11 like this.
  7. mrttao

mrttao Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Neutral evil in the picture is Gravity Tales. The founder who calls himself "good guy person" secretly sold gravity tales to qidian, then pretended to be unrelated and impartial to try to trick people into signing horrible contracts with qidian, full of traps. Recommending they don't need to have a lawyer look at it, that it is standard contract everyone is using. Even having qidian employees pretend to be readers giving advice in the comments sections trying to sell the illusion and giving bad legal advice and hoping to peer pressure the translators.

chaotic evil is Qidian have a huge list of shady business practices. Too many for me to list right now.

lawful evil is... can someone tell me who they are?

Neutral good... no idea.

Lawful good is wuxia world. Wuxia world is very proactively genuinely good guys in the community, trying to do the right thing. They actually got a contract with qidian licensing them to translate way back in the day before qidian tried to enter the english market itself. They also license with other companies or authors in asia, ensuring they get paid for their work when translating. They are also proactive in defending the right thing in court when needed even if it is not the most cheap or expedient to do so. Reminiscent of how some companies have a policy of fighting to win against patent trolls, even if more expensive than making a settlement.

chaotic good is royal roads legend. Royal roads is a fictional futuristic MMORPG with full VR immersion, and a shared universe for various different fanfics which originally helped found said site together. Nowadays they expand to contain a lot of fanfiction and original fiction in english (to the point where you are likely to never even see a fic using royal road shared universe). They are generally inoffensive, not doing anything immoral or detestible... although since most of the stories are fanfiction (without having to overcome the barrier of being good enough to find a translator) they are basically 99% shit stories. Even the worse asian translated light novel still had enough people liking it to justify translating, with RRL this is not the case.
    Lately some self published authors that actually write good stories have copied their stories from their own sites to also be on RRL. I would generally put them in neutral since I have not heard of them doing anything good (or bad). But that won't fit the theme of the chart so things are fudged a bit to put them in chaotic good.

NU is this website we are on right now.

Zone Q11 likes this.
  8. Zone Q11

Reading List:
    Link
    Humu... I see. I never venture to deep within Reddit other than r/danganronpa, r/overlord and r/RWBY. As for WW... I have never been there before.
    Hou? That is new indeed.
    I think they are Reddit.
    I mean... It is literally written there: Baka-Tsuki Translation Community.
    Not quite. We are on NovelUpdates Forum. NU is NovelUpdates. Despite everything, I see those two as two separate things.

Lonelycity likes this.
  9. mrttao

mrttao Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I saw, I meant I have no idea who baka tsuki are and what do they do. Are they an aggregate site? a translation site? good guys? bad guys?
    I never heard of them before and just saw their name being mentioned for the first time in this picture.
    I googled reddit novel translations and found them. The logo matches.
    Anyone knows why they are lawful evil?

10. Lonelycity

Lonelycity Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Reddit is a forum like place where ppl chat... things quickly turn cancerous there... mean memes and stuff....

So yeah that’s why they are lawful evil.
    They are supporting us in the crusade against evil overlord QI. But they are toxic mercenaries who thrive in hell....

By the way, even though I say they... I am a part of it too...it’s fun to see the posts XD

Zone Q11 likes this.
  11. chomer

chomer Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    @mrttao
    baka tsuki was one of the first novel translation communities and they helped kickstart interest in fan translations of asian novels. it's a hub where translators can upload their translations

Zone Q11, Fr0stb1te, mrttao and 3 others like this.
  12. Lonelycity

Reading List:
    Link
    Baka tsuki is the precursor to all fan translations.... before Chinese and korean novels became all the rage, it was the time of Japanese ones...
    Baka tsuki did that... from 2006 to 2009 (not sure) marked their first era
    From 2009-2012ish marked their golden era

And that’s when DMCA began raining their way. They had to shut shop and stop translating but they were the pioneers of fan translations....

It’s saddening that ppl no longer know them. I mean I started reading from 2014 onwards so yeah even I am after their time.... but they used to be huge.

Amen Baka Tsuki.

PS: they still have many translations out there. Many really nice JP ones have been fully translated by them.. do check it out.

13. mrttao

mrttao Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I googled reddit novel translations and found them. The logo matches.
    That sounds chaotic, not lawful. In fact it matches how the NU forums are listed as chaotic neutral.

I am guessing the other chaotic slots were taken so it got pushed into lawful instead

Zone Q11 and Lonelycity like this.
  14. Lonelycity

Reading List:
    Link
    Lol true that...

Zone Q11 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.