Question Why are so many yaoi novels Chinese?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by I read novels, Jan 20, 2019.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I read novels

I read novels Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Like, really? It seems every time I find a yaoi novel it turns out to be Chinese. Is it just that it's popular there? Nothing against them, I've read a few good ones myself, just interested.

Hoshiandme and Shizun like this.
  2. natsume142

natsume142 だが、断る

Reading List:
    Link
    Isnt there are more Chinese novels being translated compare to other language? Maybe that the case

Beltran, asriu, orematcha and 6 others like this.
  3. Kingloli229

Kingloli229 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There has been a boom of them recently. Like most genres tend to have.

Hoshiandme likes this.
  4. Gilgamesh223

Gilgamesh223 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    there is a lot of chinese people, this translates into a lot of chinese novels, this means that even if there are relatively few chinese yaoi novels as compared to other types of chinese novels there is still quite a large number of them

asriu, natsume142, oliver and 3 others like this.
  5. Shiritsou

Shiritsou Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I just notice that theres a lot of girls currently interested on CN/WN maybe thats why.

KingOfDreams, Liola, Soren59 and 2 others like this.
  6. Mount Tai Unleashed

Mount Tai Unleashed This one has tai but can't see mount eyes

Reading List:
    Link
    It must have something to do with the chinese government suppression, they'd rather have women fantasizing about gay men than women fantasizing about other women.

I've noticed a severe lack of chinese yuri novels compared to the BL novels..

There's a conspiracy going on here, I just know it!

Rohit2001, GoliathQueen, NaM and 7 others like this.
  7. Neiri

Neiri Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    More like many translator translating chinese yaoi out of many chinese novels. If the majority of translator like yaoi then it is natural for yaoi novels to be the majority translated.

same thing with japanese isekai and harem.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
  8. Darkanlan

Darkanlan Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    China has a population issue where they have around 50 million more men than women in their country. So part of that could contribute to more men without the ability to find wives turning towards the same sex. That or just so many single men make women over there imagine a large number of them being gay.

Enigma and Nyamsus like this.
  9. EvilDevil

EvilDevil Guardian Devil

Reading List:
    Link
    #WhyYaoi!

10. Tsuru55

Tsuru55 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It makes me want to cry (kidding) the really low number of yuri CN compared to all the yaoi ones popping up in NU.

11. elengee

elengee Daoist Ninefaps

Reading List:
    Link
    Actually, no. They'd rather have women read of men doing men rather than them being impure and doing men themselves. It's definitely not an anti lesbian thing.

12. Shizun

Shizun 《Jack of all trades》《Artist/Author》《Dao of BLedia》

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, to be on neutral side, bl has often a better plot than other genres... to the point even non bl lovers read it, because of the plot.

When reading the other novels, it always makes me feel like reading the same stuff over and over again.... or the authors are using a generated plot.

Beltran, Japorea, Liola and 4 others like this.
  13. Jigoku Shounen

Jigoku Shounen An Envoy From Hell

Reading List:
    Link
    Well....You take 1 Fujoshi....and match her with a regular girl....you will get 2 Fujoshi, regardless whatever preference the latter had. And by doing the math, the number of Fujoshi in NU keep on rising, and come with it is the number of Fujoshi that's willing to do Yaoi novels, and with Chinese Novels being the Most Number in Nu so they picked CN cause of the number and easier to find.
    And with that, you get the answer to your question.

orematcha, Sabruness, Liola and 3 others like this.
  14. tef0

tef0 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    BL is inverse of regular novels.

It’s all about the romance so it’s pretty decent most of the time but the plot is cookie-cutter because all the time spent writing it is on the romance.

15. Hoshiandme

Hoshiandme A Wandering Star Who Watches From Afar

Reading List:
    Link
    And
    I speak for the fudanshi on here.
    We also love BL
    Though we are rare. We are just deeply hidden~ BUT WE! MY LOVE FOR BL IS 100% THERE ALWAYS

16. CharLok

CharLok Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There’s a lot more other Yaoi or slash novels than you think. You just gotta know where to look.

17. Manic Josei

Manic Josei 《Josei in a Shoujo's Clothing》

Reading List:
    Link
    The most popular answer in my opinion is that forbidden things/taboo is more exciting for others.

Shizun likes this.
  18. oblueknighto

oblueknighto Blue Person

Reading List:
    Link
    I’m pretty sure you mean BL but who knows the real reason. I think it’s just because there are way more Chinese novels being translated. It could also be because Japanese fans of BL split their efforts between novels and manga. I know tons of BL manga.

19. Hoshiandme

Hoshiandme A Wandering Star Who Watches From Afar

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes! BL IS MORE INTERESTING GENRE.
    BL couples have to face so much more then a striaght couple does. And in a straight couple novel, the things they face are rather generic and typical and over time it gets really boring.
    But at least in BL, though there are the generic tropes, but it’s in the how that it is done is what makes it interesting. Because I’m regular novel’s the main guy and main girl are the obivious OTP’s, but in BL there’s so much more mystery and fan fare, and actual realistic tension. Are the guys just really close friends? Or Are they in love with each other? Are they friends or lovers? Is that guy the lover? Or that one?
    You don’t know who is who and it leads to an interesting mystery aspect. Unlike regular novels where such things are obvious. As well as societal pressures that the couple will have to ultimately face. And in today’s society where there’s a lot of talks about acceptance. Reading an actual couple go through their story living life they want to live and not caring about others is very fun.
    And unlike in regular novels, they don’t stray away from the more hardcore topics of sex. And sexual activity.
    And now, I’m not asking for anything explicit. But at least in YAOI, they mention such emotions. Emotions erupting from passion and lust and physical bodily reactions. Whereas in regular novels, they tend to glance over such topics all together and don’t really delve into it deeply. And yes, there is Josei, but really it’s not the same.
    The passion from love and passion from list are entirely different okay! AND BL IS NOT AFRAID TO TALK ABOUT SUCH SCENES AND HAPPENINGS.
    Whereas in regular novels it’s so fucking skewed. Girl has to be a virgin. Can’t have slept with anyone. Has to be pure and wonderful. Guy can be ass and do whatever he wants, yet he isn’t called a slut.
    BL accepts sex as a natural thing for anyone.

BL IS LIFE
    PRAISE BL

Japorea, Manic Josei and Shizun like this.
  20. macy2

macy2 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm pretty sure the ones translated represents the translator's own interests. The content we receive is ultimately in the hands of the translators after all. And I dont beileve it's Chinese only. If you venture into manga and webcomics, Japan and Korean materials had gotten quite a boom in yaoi and BL lately.
    I think its just the trend with the LGBT movements and acceptence in society. Material previously on the fence is now fully acceptable. And hence all the translators interested (and readers expresssing interest) are translating them now.
    But yes it is kind of troublesome. More often then not I find something I click on is BL or yaoi. I dont have anything against them (read a couple myself) but its almost becoming as common as transmiguration novels; 8 out of 10 you're guaranteed to click on one.

Sabruness and TamaSaga like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.