Discussion Do you think the writing of Shield Hero is bad?

Discussion in 'Novel Discussion' started by Skyreader, Jan 23, 2019.

?

Is it?

Poll closed Jan 30, 2019.
  1. Yes

43.5%
  2. No

46.7%
  3. No, its mediocre

9.8%
  1. Skyreader

Skyreader Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Exactly.

It's still a fun read, though thinking about everyone's decision making got me lots of scratch in my head

2. Fr0stb1te

Fr0stb1te (Prowler of the night)

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes

3. juniorjawz

juniorjawz Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    just Google up rape accusation and see for yourself the reality of these accusation cases.

Lurker of the dark likes this.
  4. Skyreader

Reading List:
    Link
    I'd believe Hero more than a Princess

5. Milanin

Milanin [Reader] [???] [Freeloader]

Reading List:
    Link
    Which part of everything I've written in the spoiler do you not understand?

6. Skyreader

Reading List:
    Link
    More realistic comparison would be a prince of certain country accusing someone with enough power in military of raping her. In this case, I believe any country would investigate it much more carefully

Boboverlord likes this.
  7. Tianshen

Tianshen Ex-Lurker

Reading List:
    Link
    You guys are wasting time, from his replies this thread are just whines and he won't change his mind no matter what. There should be a new section on NUF called 'Novel Whines' instead of dumping it all to Novel 'Discussion'

8. Vanidor

Vanidor Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If it is bad or not is up to you.

But the whole fake rape accusation was to make the young male Japanese audience sympathize with the MC as fast as possible. Making sense wasn’t the goal.

kenar and lucjanssens like this.
  9. sjmcc13

sjmcc13 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Their country is full of human supremacists, and corrupted the religion, likely over a long period of time, to support their views. They now think he is a devil/demon/etc who will help destroy the world.

"The shield protects our hated enemy, and we are not the evil ones, so the shield must be evil." or some other BS to help keep them from admitting they should be making peace rather then constantly trying to enslave the demi-humans.

Though if I recall the other nations did not have a 3 heroes church, but a 4 heroes church. So it was just them, and once the queen returns we see how close to disaster the King, princess and church pushed things.

10. Goblin Sleuth

Goblin Sleuth Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You're asking how the people in charge of a country could do something that would jeopardize that same country, just to settle their own selfish interests.

You know what man I don't think I can answer that. I mean it's such an outlandish scenario, the author sure has an active imagination. Thank god something like that can't happen in real life. I mean could you imagine how much damage it would do if the person in charge of a country was a selfish manbaby that used his position to further his own agenda? That would be pretty fucked up, thank god this is real life, and not some crazy fantasy world like Shield Hero.

kenar, Ophious, moto and 1 other person like this.
  11. Skyreader

Reading List:
    Link
    I mean, its pretty clear that if the heroes unable to repel the waves their life would be over. They wouldn't get away scotch free. They can't just flew somewhere else like in real life

12. sjmcc13

Reading List:
    Link
    No they would not. they would believe the ROYALTY and execute the other guy because that is how nobility works. Questioning is an insult to the honor of the royal family.

Of course you keep ignoring that
    1. This was a set-up by the person acting as Judge
    2. They think he is out to destroy them
    3. Her story included he was drunk to help make it believable

13. jkim0940

jkim0940 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't think the writing is bad because of your reasons. You are talking about a medieval fantasy world with skills. There was no talk of a school of any kind, so you could assume no public schools. The only source of information would be rumors or misguided truths. We know from the premise that there was a bitter war between the demi humans and the humans. The human countries worship the sword hero, spear hero and the Bow hero and despise the dirty and worthless shield hero who is worshiped by the demihumans. Now if there was a proper government and a justice system that could handle rape allegations and etc, then you might have a point. However, if every fiction had government systems like we have now, what's the point of reading fiction. Just pick up a local newspaper and read if you want realism.

14. sjmcc13

Reading List:
    Link
    They have their heroes, the country only wanted to summon the other 3. This is obvious form the point no one chooses to party with him. They are trying to get rid of the guy they do not want.

15. Skyreader

Reading List:
    Link
    What is it
    Nvm, I didn't realize you answer the first part only

I see that kinda make sense

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2019
  16. eray.gns

eray.gns Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Although Author somehow tries to explain things which happened to Shield Hero later, I still voted yes because aside from one or two exceptions, I think web novels in general (be it CN, JP or KR) lack the rationale that any logical character or real people would have. That is why most of the time I read them as a pastime and don't dwell on "negative" or rather "illogical" sides unless protagonist is dumber than a block of wood and/or beta, cringy to the extreme. I like the saying "A character is only as smart as their author." and believe this to be true to some extend. Most of these JP authors do this as a "hobby" at first so expecting smartly constructed, vivid, breathing, logical novel may end up disappointing the reader. Most of them are only exist for the momentary excitement. I'm not saying it can't be done but when you think most these web novels are wet dreams of their respective authors', one ends up expecting less. Shield Hero, in general, was an enjoyable ride and thanks to the "Queen", the stupid stuff at the beginning got resolved but like %98 of the other novels, it could've been better in professional hands.

Geor likes this.
  17. Lonelycity

Lonelycity Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Reminds me of Trump lol
    You sure it doesn’t happen irl XD

18. Goblin Sleuth

Goblin Sleuth Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Shhhhhh :blobshh: (were not a supposed to talk about politics)

19. madness-

madness- The Wanderer

Reading List:
    Link
    Well same with you i dont think its as a good one but i dont think its bad too , "average" is the best word to described it

20. Lonelycity

Lonelycity Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Shhhh pretty sure the OP will be like but this doesn’t make sense. Does this happen irl ?

Smh