Is this a policy abuse?

Discussion in 'Novel Updates Site Discussion' started by NovelPolice, Jan 26, 2019.

1. Anra7777

Anra7777 All powerful magic grammar hamster queen pirate.

Reading List:
    Link
    My impression is that the policy says “two releases per month” period. My impression is that the OP was saying that the translator makes one release per series per month. Which would mean two or more releases total per month. It could just be my misunderstanding, though.

2. GrimVeilRule

GrimVeilRule Dux Bellorum

Reading List:
    Link
    If they think it's worth the money they will.

CaptainToast likes this.
  3. LaDyViL

LaDyViL New Member Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's for the novel/series, not for the group. Try checking the policy again, and not just one sentence but the whole paragraph.

Anra7777 likes this.
  4. Temairine

Temairine Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm curious as to the total release rate? Is this translator releasing one free public chapter per month and multiple paid for chapters on patreon for the same novel? Because that would be very shady imo.

@oliver Imagine this scenario. Dedicated translator has to give up their project, having already translated 300 chapters. Project is then picked up by this one release per month translator. And yet anyone wishing to pick up the project has to translate from the very beginning/50 chapters already done. Does that seem fair?

5. lordbeirut

lordbeirut Emperor of Perdition

Reading List:
    Link
    If you're going to accuse someone of something, you should at least give the names. Otherwise, you deny the individual his right to defend himself. Simply saying someone is breaking the rules but refusing to say who gives you the ability to besmirch someone's reputation with impunity.

6. Anra7777

Anra7777 All powerful magic grammar hamster queen pirate.

Reading List:
    Link
    Yup, you were right. I should have read more carefully. ^ _ ^

7. LaDyViL

Reading List:
    Link
    Probably too much danmei. They're known to rot oneself, just look at how rotten I am.
    Didn't you see the second point in the Policy? Those paywalled chapters aren't counted in the releases that's accepted on NU for those groups. They're not listed, we reject them. If the translator wants to paywall their chapters, NU has no business in saying yes or no to their decision and actions.

Every non-licensed, no permission translations on NU can be considered stolen goods. In a way, NU is advertising stolen goods. If Tony later does reply to this thread, I hope he won't close the thread. There is no reason to close an ongoing discussion such as this just because things get heated. You're arguing for a policy review, there's bound to be arguments to it.

Fuyuneko, Ruyue, orematcha and 6 others like this.
  8. Charles83

Charles83 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It does depend on the speed that the translator is doing the translation, lets say the translator can only do 7 chapters per week and he releases 7 chapters per week, I have 0 issues if the patreon is 7 chapters ahead, but if the translator is only releasing 2 chapters a month free just so that he can keep the label of active translator and in patreon he is releasing 7 chapters a week behind the paywall, to the point that after a couple of months the patreon chapter list is to number 200 while the free chapters are only 4, I think that is abuse.

Anra7777 likes this.
  9. LaDyViL

Reading List:
    Link
    If this is what's happening, then the group can be reported so their status can be revised. Not my decision and I have no final say in this, but that group's actions can be reviewed and brought to discussion be it privately in a PM or openly in this thread. In my opinion, rather than the policy, it should be the group itself that should be checked out. Hinting and refraining from mentioning them is not helping anything with just guesswork and assumptions to work with here.

Ruyue, runsing, Blitz and 4 others like this.
  10. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    Novel Updates will not add your releases if:
    • There’s an active translator for the novel. An active translator is a translator who has released at least two releases within the past 30 days OR has caught up with the latest raw chapters (the latest raw chapter must be translated within 30 days), has been translating the series for at least 30 days and has translated over 30 releases according to the raw site for the series. This rule does not apply to you if any of these applies to you:
      • If you start translating the series from the beginning. No, you cannot translate chapter 1 then do a chapter jump to chapter 50. Your chapter 1 would be accepted while your chapter 50 wouldn’t.
      • If you have permission from the current active translator
      • If your releases were accepted when there were no active translators at the time
      • If you have translated at least 50 releases (according to the raw site) for the series
      • If you were an active translator at any point for the series
      • If your releases were accepted due to meeting the requirements at any point
    • Your release is locked. (Not accepted: password protected, requiring user to log in, appwalled or paywalled releases. Accepted: adwall releases). For password protection releases, an exception to this rule would be if the password is on the same page as the chapter link and easy to find.
    • Your release is not translated from an Asian novel.
    • No raw source is found for your chapters.
    • You’re both the author and translator of the novel you’re writing/translating.
    Last updated: September 29th, 2018

one release within last 30 days?
    say goodbye
    read this line
    at least two releases within the past 30 days
    put on mind it for one series

if the translator work on multiple series then let see if that translator (or group) can called active for each series

by that clause it is possible to take Qidian translated novel which already behind paywall as long as last chapter listed on NU already past 30 days

also agree with babachan
    just say the name~

pfft
    and here I think people have more courage to put name~

Arcturus and runsing like this.
  11. LaDyViL

Reading List:
    Link
    :sweating_profusely: They'll hunt you down with DMCA if you do though...

Arcturus likes this.
  12. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    this is this and that is that baba~
    19668.png

Arcturus and Ruyue like this.
  13. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    Imagine this scenario: Dedicated translator gives up on the project because of RL after 300 chapters. New person picks up releasing one chapter per month and gets hated by entitled readers because of slow release pace. Novel is once again dropped and nobody picks it up again because they don't want to touch a novel with such toxic fanbase.

This happened more than once, it's what happens when people forget that translators are people.

Also, translating 50 chapters should be no issue if you're serious about taking the novel over because the other translator is too slow, I mean, you're only picking it up because you know you'll be a lot faster, right? Then you should need no more than 2 months to finish those 50 release.

... Or, you could use the magical things called common sense and basic societal skills and... Actually ask the current translator if they're fine with you picking the novel up. Many slow translators are fine with letting other people picking their projects up~

14. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I can understand why fifty chapters may seem like a lot. In some ways it is. But when it comes to Novel Update's policy for release acceptance, I have personally seen that more often than not, it is the fifty chapter allowance that ends up allowing another translator to take over from an active translator. In fact, poaching is actually fairly uncommon to begin with, and, when someone does it, that requirement is, unfortunately, not too high of a hurdle to jump. I think most poachers these days actually do end up listed on Novel Updates in the end. The policy is ultimately just not as restrictive as it appears.

The irony, I think, is that poaching a long-running project with an active translator is almost always done for financial benefit. Meaning that what you're actually asking is that we lighten up a bit on the people who just want to make a buck from someone else's foundation, while misrepresenting them as "enthusiasts."

Jaspaaar, Fuyuneko, Arcturus and 4 others like this.
  15. NZPIEFACE

NZPIEFACE Leecher

Reading List:
    Link
    So the basic problem is that the TL is a dick who locks his shit behind a paywall?

I think the issue to this probably aint asking someone else to poach. It also kinda sounds like saying TL's shouldn't be allowed to make money, which would probably rub a lot of people the wrong way.

Deleted member 37987 likes this.
  16. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    donation kinda way making money tho albeit not so reliable
    lel funny

Ruyue likes this.
  17. Raneday

Raneday Not Rane

Reading List:
    Link
    hmm another drama thread? :blobpopcorn::blobpopcorn::blobpopcorn::blobpopcorn_cool:

Ruyue likes this.
  18. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    Haha exactly. He is just pulling stuff out of his ass.
    Someone accused me of holding a novel hostage. I think it's god of Cooking.
    I told him flatly that I only translate it because it was requested.
    If he finds a faster translator then sure. I can hand over the reins gladly.
    The conspiracy peddling folks on here are innumerable.
    Some are so crazy, that they believe there are millions of translators just waiting to translate their favorite novel.
    There is a reason novels can be dropped for 2 years and no one touches them.
    Oh well, living in delusion helps them sleep at night I guess.
    Advertisement : 7 more chapters of Itai no Wa( I Hate Pain) will be released today along with Duke's Daughter. Possessing Nothing will also be translated by a new translator

Ruyue likes this.
  19. Deleted member 37987

Deleted member 37987 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    I would agree there's no point having regulations when people start making money off their translations, it should be open to all and any concurrency. Protecting ordinary translators is already kind off weird honestly, but I don't even see the moral in protecting businesses.

Though unfortunately you'll get quantity over quality but it's supposed to be fast food novels in the first place, ain't it? Good novels are only translated by good translators most of the time.

Ruyue likes this.
  20. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    I am not derailing the topic.
    As pointed out, you didn't even get the policy right.
    You keep talking from a high horse like you have noble intentions.
    You do not. You just want to get your novel fix.
    What we need are not entitled people like you who insult the hard work of others but more translators.
    You and your group seem to be filled with conspiracy theories.
    Some translators actually drop novels but come back, release 8 chapters per month but every single chapter is a sponsored chapter.
    Let's just say it honestly.
    You want slaves.
    When people wake up to the fact that they don't have to work for free. It irks you and your ilk
    I saw the same thing with the author of Iron Teeth.
    He got insulted because the next chapter was on Patreon.
    Although the reader later apologized that he was having a bad day.
    People like you are pathetic and make translators quit.

Even volunteers at pantries get a meal. You are looking for slaves

Advertisement : 7 more chapters of Itai no Wa( I Hate Pain) will be released today along with Duke's Daughter. Possessing Nothing will also be translated by a new translator

Ruyue likes this.