How do you feel about Catholic saint-based magic?

Discussion in 'Author Discussions' started by Ai chan, Jan 28, 2019.

1. Ai chan

Ai chan Queen of Yuri, Devourer of Traps, Thrusted Witch

Reading List:
    Link
    Ai-chan had a dream and decided to create a visual novel about a convent with a demon sealed beneath it. The convent is now converted into an all-girls school dedicated to Saint Dymphna, the Demon Slayer, her other deed. It is located in Bath, Somerset, England.

[​IMG]
    It's really hard to find images of her as Demon Slayer

The backstory is this:
    Saint Dymphna escaped from Ireland to avoid from having to marry her father. Just as she and her attendants alongside her confessor sailed across the Celtic Sea, a freak storm carried them all the way into Bristol Channel before they crashed against the shores of modern day Somerset. There she heard of a town terrorized by a demon called Suilbrath. Being a warrior, she fought the demon Suilbrath and stuck her sword into the chest of the demon in a chamber deep under the earth.

Dymphna then left for Europe, leaving behind one of her attendants Abbess Bertana to watch over the sealed demon. In the same year, 676, Abbes Bertana was then given the land by King Osric of Hwicce to build a convent there (it really was a convent in real history, not a monastery) to keep the demon sealed forever. Sometime in the last years of the 11th century, Abbot John of Tours rebuilt the monastery into a priory after it was destroyed by Robert de Morbray's rebellion. But he thought it wasn't grand enough, so he built a cathedral not far from the monastery, but dedicated it to Saint Peter and Saint Paul instead of Saint Dymphna, who was never canonized by the pope but accepted as a saint centuries later.

Now, the former monastery abandoned by John of Tours has been turned into part of a boarding school for girls under the name of Saint Dymphna Convent. And it just so happens that this year, the seal is weakened, causing the old monastery (which was left as a ruin) to become a dungeon that threatens to release demons into the world. The player's job is to renew the seal that Saint Dymphna once made in the 7th century.

Now, Ai-chan's questions:
    1) How do you feel about saint-based miracles, where the player invokes a prayer to the saints (in true catholic fashion) for special boons in battle?
    2) Should Ai-chan ignore prudes and go ahead with making this a story with lesbian relationships? Yes, despite it being a convent, there are lesbian girls. Ai-chan would know, Ai-chan graduated from all-girls school.
    3) Where would be a good place to put the school? Anyone who live near Bath here?

Last edited: Jan 28, 2019
  2. MangoGuy

MangoGuy Rambling Mango

Reading List:
    Link
    I got no idea about England but this is fairly intriguing. However, I am not sure about lesbo relationship in a church setting. While gamers probably won't care, it breaks the setting.

imK, GDLiZy, Master and 3 others like this.
  3. RandomGuy2308

RandomGuy2308 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    1) Not a christian so I wouldn't have the references -> need to expain. Also, better to not be too obnoxious in order to prevent feelings that your novel is a big christian add. Ignore this if your target is purely christian.
    2) They should exist. I would not mind being hinted, mentionned or described. Again, it depends on your target.
    3) NA.

Ai chan likes this.
  4. KurouDaijuji

KurouDaijuji Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    1) IIRC to qualify as a Saint, granting of miracles is required, so it's probably not out of line.
    2) Depends, do you benefit more from pandering to the prudes?
    3) No idea, never been to England.

N.B: The Congregation for the Holy Doctrine of the Faith would probably be offended by your entire post, so I doubt you'd get an endorsement from any official Catholic body regardless of your choices.

StuffedDuck, asriu and Ai chan like this.
  5. Vanidor

Vanidor Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Demon looks like it tried for an upskirt view and got stomped.

About the questions, unless it is marketed towards Christians then no one will care much. If you are setting it in an alternate universe with magic there is no need to base it on a real school, and that eliminates any possible lawsuits.

Ai chan likes this.
  6. Jiggy

Jiggy I am JiggyliFAP~ the not fat anymore guy.

Reading List:
    Link
    No. If it's true prayers. Its weird coz I'm Catholic. About the lesbian part... its not ok but mehh, no one can stop Ai-chan anyway. Where to put the school... what school?

Ai chan likes this.
  7. Ryuubii

Ryuubii Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    1) Feels like cleric stuff in RPGs and novels.
    2) Why not? The bible only forbid gays as far as I remembered. Not that I care either way.
    3) Unfortunately I am not someone from Bath, but since it is a place that has a demon sealed in it, someplace secluded, like in the mountains, might be a good idea, if Bath has mountainous areas that rarely receive visitors. Other than that, the center of the city. Or if you feel like reverse psychology, you can make it be placed in a super obvious place. Though the last option only works if no one really knows that there is a demon sealed there.

Ai chan likes this.
  8. KurouDaijuji

KurouDaijuji Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    She's suggesting a School, not a Church, & as a graduate of an all-boys School with a religious (Anglican) orientation I can assure that however much the School & Staff frowned upon homosexuality, it was present (including amongst the staff).

Also, the prohibition on homosexuality arises out of the association of sodomy with the destruction of Sodom & Gomorrah, & so I'm not totally certain it covers lesbianism (not that I'm any sort of scholar of church law or doctrine, nor that I believe Lot was saved for being anything other than a pimp).

Ai chan likes this.
  9. Ai chan

Reading List:
    Link
    Basically, instead of elemental-based magic, you pray to the saints to either save you from danger, give you strength, heal your wounds or defeat your enemies. For example:
    1) Saint Dymphna can cure status illnesses and deal direct damage on demons (and only demons)
    2) Saint Dunstan increases the damage of bladed weapons
    3) Saint Emydius purifies demon spawning altars
    4) Saint Erasmus makes you invulnerable to fire-based magics or attacks for a short time.
    5) Saint Perpetua allows you to avoid animal-type enemies from fighting you.

Ai-chan couldn't care less about the congregation lol They get triggered by everything. Ai-chan doesn't know if Ai-chan would benefit from pandering to prudes though. The lesbian relationship is not necessary, but it does add romance since it's an all-girls school.

10. Ai chan

Reading List:
    Link
    The school is the setting of the visual novel. The monastery ruins is located inside school grounds, but the actual school building is next door. The school is called Saint Dymphna Convent for Girls.

11. chucke

chucke Going towards the glorious future

Reading List:
    Link
    Don't care as long as it has a good delivery. Also it is not overused like Greek gods and co.

12. Ryuubii

Reading List:
    Link
    You know, that made me realize several things about this setting of yours. Basically, the Saints become what would be Gods or Spirits in other fantasy stories. Second, you would need to memorize which saints does what to get the right miracle done, sounds like only people who have good memories would manage.

Ai chan likes this.
  13. Lolistalker

Lolistalker Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You can always twist some of the settings to fit the story that you want to tell, I personally really like yuri so you have my support, in fact the story won't be as interesting without the yuri so you have to make it work somehow, don't forget to put some loli as well

As an atheist I could not care less about what your story is based on as long as it is interesting and well executed, so far you do have my attention

Ai chan likes this.
  14. Someguy666

Someguy666 MILF Sect Leader

Reading List:
    Link
    I thought this was already done in A Certain Magical Index?

Ai chan likes this.
  15. Ai chan

Reading List:
    Link
    It's based on catholicism in the middle ages. Not many stories or games does that yet.

That's not a bug, that's a feature. In real life, unless you're an actual priest of the Catholic church, it's unlikely you'd remember more than 5 saints. You'd likely remember only your patron saint, which for girls would most commonly be Saint Mary, Mother of Jesus.

So as a student, you wouldn't likely remember more than a few. If you can remember more than a few, that gives your game an advantage, but is not necessary. Ai-chan designed the game so that you can win even if you can only remember the prayer for 3 saints. As a player, you choose which saint you want to memorize. Practice makes perfect. Don't worry, there's 100 floors of dungeon for you to practice on.

It was? Ai-chan haven't watched that.

16. Rivenn

Rivenn 【I eat fruit】【commonhouseman】【RV_n/Rivelle】

Reading List:
    Link
    I feel like I should clarify something.

When you say Christian, It's all about Jesus christ. no saints or stuff like idols and what so ever.

Catholic on the other hand is what you all know and think christians are.

But enough of the stuff, the catholic faith have many branches and interpretations of the bible. You even have many historical references you can bring about like the crusades, templars, inquisition and stuff...

sound fun.

and I'm not christian. can't call myself one

Ai chan likes this.
  17. Ai chan

Reading List:
    Link
    Sorry about that, Ai-chan has changed the title.

Anyhow, any idea about where the school should go?

Thanks. There will certainly be lolis since it's a school, but Ai-chan hasn't decided on the characters yet.

18. NekoMK2

NekoMK2 Lazy cat, [self proclaimed GM_Rusaku Disciples]

Reading List:
    Link
    1. what i feel? who care i think other than kinda pain since there multiple saint for the various benefit, as for the Catholic-based setting well japan already did more than one even some who slightly hinted so nothing new i think
    2. yuri in all girl school setting also not new so nothing to bother other than some people who practically dislike LGBT in game, like that VN what thats one name again? the one with "petal" and "flower" series (lately i kinda forgot many things -_- )
    3.dunno
    also since its Ai-chan we talking about is this going to be r-18 ? also if this R-18 will the MC end up raped by mob or the boss? (played to much R-18 RPGM :sweating_profusely: )

Ai chan likes this.
  19. Ryuubii

Reading List:
    Link
    Haha... Well, I did not actually say it was a bug, just that I noticed something interesting, you could say. But yeah, it sounds like an interesting feature, making the chants would be a real chore.

Ai chan likes this.
  20. Ai chan

Reading List:
    Link
    Ahahaha sorry, it can't be R-18.

Ai-chan did dream about an actual saint fighting a demon after all. It would be kind of disrespectful to have R-18 game featuring a virgin saint who died because she refused to marry her father :blobtongue:

But don't worry, Ai-chan has plenty of R-18 titles. Look forward to it. Or you can donate to Ai-chan's patreon so that Ai-chan has the motivation to finish them quicker.:blob_grin:

BTW, there are more than 100 saints to choose from.

NekoMK2 likes this.